Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Mar 2009 (Monday) 20:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Big mistakes you've made while trying to learn the craft?

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 24, 2009 17:13 |  #16

leaving home with too few cards/batteries/extras​. Missed alot of shots cuz I was chimping, trying to make room on cards that were full.
I once printed an entire roll of konica 10" paper, then forgot to bag it before taking it out in the light. Set a record for most shots wasted, but they werent mine and my boss never found out where the paper all disappeared to. reprint, and quickly.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 24, 2009 18:43 |  #17

Two I can recall (not huge mistakes, though one was a shot I really wished to have had).

I went to photograph my wife running in a the St. Paddy 4 mile race on Michigan Ave. I was shooting something like M, 1/1000 and f/4 and my wife and her friend posed for a portrait in front of Tiger Stadium. It was sunny, so I added some fill flash....and the camera reverted the shutter speed to 1/200 and totally blew out the shot by almost three stops.

Two, I went to an event that I wanted to shoot, pulled out the camera and fiddled with it for about 10 seconds before I noticed the 'No CF Card' message on the LCD. Then I put the camera away.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

babuszka
THREAD ­ STARTER
313 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 24, 2009 19:50 |  #18

chauncey wrote in post #7588677 (external link)
not doing photography until much later in my life

Yes me too - although I'm only 22 (:lol:) and picked it up in last September of 2008- so many people pick up their cameras in high school or earlier, so I feel like I have so much to learn before graduating in a year and a half :o

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 24, 2009 20:53 as a reply to  @ babuszka's post |  #19

Processing the backing paper off a roll of 120 TrI-X.. At the time too inexperienced and too much in a rush.. For that I won the f***up of the month, had I make the coffee for the guys and buy a lottery ticket..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

1Zach1
86 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 24, 2009 20:57 |  #20

Not bringing my DSLR when I was in Montana and Wyoming for 7 weeks.

Canon RP, Canon 40D (ret.), Canon EOS M, Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 G2, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 50 f/1.8, 70-200 f/4L

buurin
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 25, 2009 17:18 |  #21

Missing many photos due to being timid. I always have my camera in my trunk, just in case... then when that moment happens and theres a lot of people around I never take the shots. I swear next time, I'm doing it.

As someone else mentioned, I also rush when I am shooting people sometimes. I usually get my exposure right and then just do a bunch of different compositions. I am always hesitant to try out different exposures in combination with the compositions. Then it comes review time and I wish I had more/less depth, etc...

It wasn't until about 1.5 years in that I realized a grey card is for exposure & not necessarily white balance. I'd been using one for white balance which wasn't a big problem, but I'm sure I could have saved some shots if I used it for exposure too.

It also took me about 1.5 years to start shooting RAW. I've come to realize basic PP really isn't that bad & well worth the effort in many cases.

I also wish I understood how the autofocus sensors actually worked earlier. For about a year I thought they were all the same and I did not know they detected contrast. Knowing this helped me a lot focusing in low light / low contrast scenes.

B
30D ● 5D ● Canon 24-70/2.8L
Canon 17-40/4.0L Canon 50/1.4 ● Canon 100mm/2.8 Macro ● 2xVivitar 285HVs ● 430EX ● Cybersync Flash Triggers ● AB800 ● AB400 ● Vagabond II

bndgrl
187 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 25, 2009 17:28 |  #22

Doing anything free. Doing anything for family. Especially doing anything free for family.

Mike ­ J.
193 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 25, 2009 17:33 as a reply to  @ buurin's post |  #23

Was a crime scene investigator and not yet terribly skilled in photography.....shot a "36" roll on a death scene and the next day opened the camera & discovered the film tab never picked up..ie: no shots were actually taken.....talk about a sinking feeling!

slkfis
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 25, 2009 19:31 |  #24

rral22 wrote in post #7589262 (external link)
Buying things that I knew were not exactly what I really wanted, but were what I thought was "more affordable".

After finally getting rid of them at a loss, I eventually bought what I knew was the best all along, but ended up spending more than I would have if I had purchased the right stuff in the beginning.

Cheap stuff is too expensive.

I have had a 40D for 2 weeks, it's my first DSLR and I have caught myself several times starting to buy lens that from reading this site I knew would not do what I wanted.

Good advice.

thxs

sl;kfis

bob

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

Moose408
884 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 25, 2009 20:20 |  #25

Metalstrm wrote in post #7588797 (external link)
My biggest one so far: being shy on the street.

Another one that is important: it is so easy to overdo the edits. One has to keep a light touch and give his eyes a break. Look at something else, have a break, go out and return, whatever. When you look at the picture again you'll be looking from the point of view of an onlooker, which is good. Your opinion will be more objective and it's much easier to notice mistakes this way.

Both of these apply to me. The 2nd one makes a hugh difference.

I have gotten better on the 1st one. I took a 3-day workshop on street photography and was fine asking people if I could take their photo by the end of the 3 days.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)

timbop
Goldmember
2,980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 25, 2009 22:28 |  #26

My biggest professional mistake occured two weekends ago as a second shooter. The main and I were outside shooting the B&G, and his card was full. I pulled the card out of my 2nd body, which I had used for some of the formals at the church and some of the ceremony. Unfortunately he didn't see me pull it out of my camera, and I wasn't really thinking about it when I handed him the card. Naturally the first thing he did was format the card and go on shooting, and I didn't realize it until after he shot with it for half an hour so recovery was likely not possible.

Thankfully I had shot the procession, kiss, most of the formals, and the rest of the critical stuff with my primary body. We redid the formals outside without even telling them, so we pretty much managed to cover our butts.

Current: 5DM3, 6D, 8mm fish, 24-105/4IS, 35/2IS, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.8, 100-400/IS v1, lensbaby composer with edge 80, 580's and AB800's
Formerly: 80D, 7D, 300D, 5D, 5DM2, 20D, 50D, 1DM2, 17-55IS, 24-70/2.8, 28-135IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 70-200/4IS, 70-300IS, 70-200/2.8, 100 macro, 400/5.6, tammy 17-50 and 28-75, sigma 50 macro & 100-300

Highlight_Photography
874 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 25, 2009 22:36 |  #27

Traveling 1.5 hrs to get to a place to take photos only to realise you left the battery for your camera at home....yes i know stupid but hey..Everyone makes mistakes :(

Regards,
Cameron

Website (external link) - Gear List -
Facebook (external link) -  (external link)Flickr (external link)

parhelion77
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 25, 2009 22:42 |  #28

I had only had my 40d for a few weeks, and JUST shot my first gig. I was on cloud 9 and decided to go to ANOTHER club and take some more photos.
SOMEHOW I got past the front door guy ("nope.. I'm not going to take pictures...promise"), then found out that my favorite singer was a guest that night.
This night was a total dream for me... for YEARS I have been wanting to shoot this artist with a real camera, rather than my crappy P&S's.
So what did I do??
I shot the whole show with my lens on MF, and wondered the whole time why my shots were all fuzzy!
GOD, I'm never gonna live down that rookie mistake!

(life apparently had pity on me, cuz the next night I got my first photo pass to reshoot the same artist in a theatre)

sponsored links

1,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Big mistakes you've made while trying to learn the craft?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.