Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do in this situation?

Joshua14321
583 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 25, 2009 13:40 |  #1

Hey guys :D

Say I wanted to go down to the beach and shoot pictures of my brother in the surf, and I wanted to shoot from the sand what would you do?

If the wind picks up and the sand goes flying im f'ed :D

Haha, so what would you use/do to prevent the sand getting near the body/lens?

Joshhh

sponsored links
hachi
81 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 25, 2009 13:53 |  #2

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just saying the obvious don't change your lens when you're on the beach. For protection you can use a large zip lock bag. When there's serious kick up of sand just put your camera away in your bag until it dies down.

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing your pics from the shoot! =)

Canon 40D || Canon 70-200 f/4 || 10-22 || 50 f/1.8 || Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 || 430EX || Kenko Extension Tubes
flickr (external link)

Joshua14321
THREAD ­ STARTER
583 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 25, 2009 13:56 |  #3

GilesGuthrie
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 25, 2009 13:59 |  #4

If the wind was up, I'd fit a UV filter (one of the few times when I would) and the lens hood. I might also try to arrange some form of cloth shield, like a towel or something. Depends on the circumstances, and you don't want your "protection" activities to get in the way of the shoot. A good clean afterward would be wise.

Blipfoto (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link)
Canon EOS 1d X, 1d MkIII, 5d. Gear List

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 25, 2009 13:59 as a reply to  @ GilesGuthrie's post |  #5

sand is not covered by warranty :lol:

Joshua14321
THREAD ­ STARTER
583 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 25, 2009 14:09 |  #6

I was thinking putting a UV filter on all my lenses, and will have a hood for the lens im using :D

My question is to Giles, Why don't you leave your filters on at all time? :)

Joshh

rowan57
226 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 25, 2009 14:55 |  #7

I would have the camera insured then get out there and shoot!

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 25, 2009 15:47 |  #8

Not sure how the beach in Australia is different than other beaches, but I don't imagine you'll be getting that much dry sand whipping around.

If you're worried, get a UV filter on the lens and a cheap optech rain cover for the camera then get out and shoot!

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

Obsidian
107 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 25, 2009 16:46 |  #9

sand = glass, likely same index as the glass on your cam and hard than the plastic. This means that any sand on your cam scratch! I would encase my came completely and fit a uv filter for protection. Don't wipe the sand, blow it off.

Canon 50D 24-70L, 70-200 2.8 IS L

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 25, 2009 19:43 as a reply to  @ Obsidian's post |  #10

I go to the beach all the time with my gear. For 1, I always use a sling type bag there, or any bag that you can get the camera in and out of quickly will do. I am constantly putting in away between shooting with it as opposed to keeping it around my neck always like I usually do. Be careful putting the bag down, if you do, put something down before it, like a towel or jacket if possible. You don't want sand to get in your bag, that's the worst of all. I don't use filters at all, unless it's for effect, I just try to keep the camera out of the wind. If sand is blowing around where you are, you'll know it. If something happens, something happens, but I don't let it affect my day at the beach. I'll change lenses if I have to, just try to be careful. Have fun at the beach with your brother and most important, post some pics afterwards!

If you must know...

I ­ Like ­ to ­ Watch
123 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2009 20:50 |  #11

I think "sea spray" is more your problem. Hard for you to notice while you're standing there taking shots, but easy to see from further back and to the side. Just watch anyone standing at the beach in windy conditions and you'll see it.

Canon 5D Mk lll & 50D : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS , Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 50mm f/1.4

NickSim87
Sir Chimp-a-lot
3,602 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 25, 2009 20:57 |  #12

I Like to Watch wrote in post #7599254 (external link)
I think "sea spray" is more your problem. Hard for you to notice while you're standing there taking shots, but easy to see from further back and to the side. Just watch anyone standing at the beach in windy conditions and you'll see it.

I agree, the salt in the air should be much more of a concern then sand.

With that note I have taken my cameras chest high in the ocean without any ill effects, no protection at all.

Cause that's how I roll :lol:

Gear List | Feedback

I ­ Like ­ to ­ Watch
123 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2009 21:54 |  #13

NickSimcheck wrote in post #7599312 (external link)
I agree, the salt in the air should be much more of a concern then sand.

With that note I have taken my cameras chest high in the ocean without any ill effects, no protection at all.

Cause that's how I roll :lol:

We can't do that at the moment in Australia....there is currently a dispute over water rights between mankind and sharks ;)

Canon 5D Mk lll & 50D : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS , Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 50mm f/1.4

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 26, 2009 12:18 |  #14

The camera is meant to be used.
I take my camera to the beach without using a UV filter (cause I never do), unless wind is blowing hard (Beaufort 7 or so)

Mostly I just use a bit of common sense: Don't change lenses in a sand storm, mind spray a bit (now there's a reason to use a UV filter: If close to the spray (= in the water))

Sometimes you have to shake some sand out of the camerabag, so this is one of the few cases where I do use lens caps when the lens is in the bag :lol:

What I mean to say: Don't worry too much.

I Like to Watch wrote in post #7599641 (external link)
We can't do that at the moment in Australia....there is currently a dispute over water rights between mankind and sharks ;)

Blind them with flash :lol:

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 26, 2009 17:37 |  #15

Def have a good quality UV filter on the lens and I have used an OP/Tech Rain Sleeve to keep the sand out and water spray out.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

1,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do in this situation?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.