Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Mar 2009 (Thursday) 10:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why 51 points?

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 26, 2009 10:45 |  #1

I have a friend who works with two D300's. He's always telling me about how much he loves those 51 points of focus. I asked him how he has the time when shooting to decide which one he's going to use. Then I found out he uses the ring of - ops he uses the whole darn screen of fire to let his camera decide how to focus.

After that I noticed that he never has the flash off of his camera and is always stopped down so I have to wonder for those of us who focus on that near eye, loving bokeh and shooting wide open often, are 51 points of focus futile.

After shooting with a MKIII, I cannot imagine wanting anything different.

But is the real advantage with sports where you've got plenty of light and stopped down while tracking something, is that the advantage. I've used the ring of fire on my 5D I think one day and never used it on the MKIII because I couldn't see the point but it's there so there must be a good reason for it's being. Can someone elucidate?

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 26, 2009 10:47 |  #2

What does your friend shoot? Just portraits?

Jannie wrote in post #7602711 (external link)
I have a friend who works with two D300's. He's always telling me about how much he loves those 51 points of focus. I asked him how he has the time when shooting to decide which one he's going to use. Then I found out he uses the ring of - ops he uses the whole darn screen of fire to let his camera decide how to focus.

After that I noticed that he never has the flash off of his camera and is always stopped down so I I have to wonder for those of us who focus on that near eye, loving bokeh and shooting wide open often, are 51 points of focus futile.

After shooting with a MKIII, I cannot imagine wanting anything different.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 26, 2009 10:48 |  #3

The ring of fire also slows it down. I currently have my 3 set to its ring of fire - mainly because I can and I'm not shooting action shots. However, one point will focus much quicker. But for a mid-level camera, that's a point of pride to have 50 million points.

Christian

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 26, 2009 10:50 |  #4

I rarely if ever use R.O.F.
However on my MKIII, I do have my surrounding assist points enabled.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 26, 2009 10:53 |  #5

I wonder if my 3 has selectable points? Maybe later today I can d/l a manual because I left mine at school since this is spring break...

Christian

GCGuy
579 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 26, 2009 11:04 |  #6

If I could get the D300's AF into my 40D, that would be a match made in heaven. The D300 just uses the pad on the back for selecting AF points in addition to a switch right next to it for selecting which points and how to use them.

The D300's huge advantage with all those AF points is it's ability to track things like seagulls while you're bouncing around in the back of a boat and manage to keep focus the whole time (as long as you can see the bird through the viewfinder). It also does a great job of tracking smaller moving objects like bees and butterflies too.

Now if only Canon can offer us something like that in a $1500 or so price range camera........

Just a guy with a few photography goodies that challenge me anew every day! ;)
PjsPix.com (external link) * Gear List

wrussi
788 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 26, 2009 11:05 as a reply to  @ CAL Imagery's post |  #7

what is the ring of fire??

Gear List
my website
www.wrphotostudio.com (external link)

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 26, 2009 11:13 |  #8

wrussi wrote in post #7602830 (external link)

It's a song by Johnny Cash.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 26, 2009 11:15 |  #9

Who's Johnny Cash? ;-)a

shooterman wrote in post #7602877 (external link)
It's a song by Johnny Cash.

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 26, 2009 11:22 |  #10

nicksan wrote in post #7602892 (external link)
Who's Johnny Cash? ;-)a

I think he was Johnny Paycheck's brother. ;)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 26, 2009 11:51 |  #11

Then probably not related to me as I have no idea what "cash" is!

shooterman wrote in post #7602933 (external link)
I think he was Johnny Paycheck's brother. ;)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 26, 2009 12:07 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

wrussi wrote in post #7602830 (external link)

AF point arrangement on the canon cameras looks like a ring of fire when it's all lit up and being used

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 26, 2009 12:09 |  #13

Karl Johnston wrote in post #7603246 (external link)
AF point arrangement on the canon cameras looks like a ring of fire when it's all lit up and being used

Not necessarily even that. When one selects the ROF, it is a ring, but when actually aiming to take a picture, only a few points, usually in the middle, are lit up.

Christian

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 26, 2009 13:25 |  #14

nicksan wrote in post #7602743 (external link)
I rarely if ever use R.O.F.
However on my MKIII, I do have my surrounding assist points enabled.

Same here.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,242 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2009 13:34 |  #15

Jannie wrote in post #7602711 (external link)
...I've used the ring of fire on my 5D...

Boy, this is embarrassing. I've had my 5D since the dinosaurs and didn't know it could do that. Course I don't think I've had it on anything but the center point pretty much since day 1.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

2,945 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why 51 points?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.