Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 03:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kata DPS DR-467 First thoughts / review

sixspeedsam
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 18, 2009 13:51 |  #121

I just purchased this backpack after reading the reviews on this site and several others. I stumbled across B&H which has it on sale right now for $64.95 and free shipping. Was the cheapest I found browsing around the usual commerce site suspects :)

Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)
Canon 40D | Canon 10-22mm | Tamron 24-70 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f4L

sponsored links
interceptor
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2009 09:54 as a reply to  @ sixspeedsam's post |  #122

Lucky i guess if you are in the USA. In UK the 467 is normally around GBP 68.00, but i managed to purchase one from a Ebay.co.uk shop for GBP 57.00 inc postage.

It arrived today, and i am impressed. As per photos in this thread a 70-200 2.8 can fit at the bottom, but does take up 2 slots and needs to be angled. A body at the bottom with a grip i think will be too large.
However the 70-200 + body + grip as one unit will easily fit in the top section which is quite large.

Basically when travelling it will be a case of disassembling all the kit so most fits in the bottom extra padded area (if i take a lot of kit then the 70-200 may go in the more exposed top section, but in its padded canon case.

When actually on location as per the previous posts, the camera/grip/lens can be temporarily placed in the top section for easy and quick access.

This bag is also incredibly light, compared to a standard laptop/rucksack (non-photo) that i have which is of a similar size.

It also blends in with all the standard rucksacks so isn't obvious.

It would have been handy if it could of had some loop through straps that would of enabled a tripod to be attached to the bottom, or a proper adaptor that could be attached to the side (rather than the work-arounds suggested using the water bottle holder which will probably give way after time).

A slightly larger bottom section would also be great, but not too large as my main reason for buying this bag is that it meets the very tight buget airline European hand bagage size (currently the shortest dimension should not exceed 20cm!!!)

Overall i would certainly recommend this bag if you aren't going to be taking huge amounts of kit.

Canon 40D+Grip | Canon 10D + Grip | Canon 70-200 f2.8L | Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L | Canon 300 f4L | Canon 17-40 f4L | 550EZ | x 1.4 Conv

sixspeedsam
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 25, 2009 08:22 |  #123

I ordered this backpack after reading the reviews here, and it arrived the other day. The size of the backpack is what I expected. Putting it up next to my son's school backpack, it's pretty much the same size. For those not in the know, they'd be hard pressed to realize that you're carrying $$$ worth of camera gear. Nice.

I was able to fit the following with room to spare:

40D with 10-22 attached
Tamron 28-70
Canon 50mm
Canon 70-200 f4L (in the top section)
420EX flash
Dell Studio 15 laptop

There was plenty of room to spare in the top section and pockets for additional cards, charges, etc. I also threw in my Canon video camera into the bag without any issue.

The only downside is strapping on a tripod setup - my Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 does "fit" on the side strap, but it's awkward. Obviously, the backpack wasn't designed to carry tripods.

Overall, I'm very happy with the pack. It's pretty damn heavy with everything stuffed inside, but that's to be expected. I'll use it as my carry on for travel and replace my Timbuk2 laptop bag. Only now I get to bring all my gear!

Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)
Canon 40D | Canon 10-22mm | Tamron 24-70 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f4L

Route246
492 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 25, 2009 16:48 |  #124

I think this sums up the advantages from my standpoint. It's the same size as a standard day pack and it doesn't stand out as carrying anything more than what would be in a day pack. The "efficiency" of the padding and protective features coupled with brilliant design makes this possible.

I agree that it falls short in carrying anything but the most compact tripods. Given the fact that I have a Slik Pro 614CF that fits perfectly, it's not a concern of mine. It would be a concern if I was carrying a larger tripod.

sixspeedsam wrote in post #7594297 (external link)
I ordered this backpack after reading the reviews here, and it arrived the other day. The size of the backpack is what I expected. Putting it up next to my son's school backpack, it's pretty much the same size. For those not in the know, they'd be hard pressed to realize that you're carrying $$$ worth of camera gear. Nice.

Gear List, Blog, (external link) Gallery (external link)

goatee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 27, 2009 09:00 |  #125

So, 10 months after buying it, am I still happy? You bet! It turns out it's also compatible with my Nikon gear, since I moved over to the dark side ;).

D7100, 50mm f/1.8, 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR, SB800
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=552906flickr (external link)

darkman_uk
77 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 27, 2009 18:13 |  #126

Thanks for the info and reviews chaps. I ended up buying one in ebay.co.uk for £52 incl. postage.

Going on a US Road trip during Easter, so should be a treat!

Canon 1DX + 16-35 F2.8 L II + 50 F1.2 L + Fuji X-E1 + 18-55mm F2.8-4 R + 35mm F1.4 R

Route246
492 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 27, 2009 20:56 |  #127

I'm three months into owning it and just repacked it this morning for a zoo trip this weekend. I am still extremely happy with it, especially the compactness.

Gear List, Blog, (external link) Gallery (external link)

bboltjes
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 28, 2009 21:57 as a reply to  @ Route246's post |  #128

Had this for a couple of months now and it works great.

PKSmith
207 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 30, 2009 02:50 |  #129

I recently bought the Kata DR 466, which is the same as the 465 and 467, but with a slightly smaller laptop compartment, and a more rounded top profile than the 467. It holds my XSi, 50 f/1.4, 18-55IS, 55-250IS, and my Speedlight 199A with room to spare.

Also, the laptop compartment is big enough to hold my 15" Macbook Pro with a little bit of work, but nothing that would ever concern me.

I am very pleased with this backpack, and just recently used it for a 300 mile motorcycle trip that I took my camera with me on. It held up perfectly to anything I could throw at it.

| Rebel XSi | EF-s 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 70-200 f/4L | Speedlight 199A |

jbkalla
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 30, 2009 03:18 |  #130

I like everything about it except for the fact that a camera with a battery grip completely overwhelms the bottom section. Still, I'm working on a way to pack it that makes it more useful to me. Will post if I come up with something.

John
flickr (external link) | G+ (external link) | Panoramio (external link) | InterfaceLIFT (external link)
Fujifilm X-T2
| 10-24 f4 R OIS | 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR | XF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR | 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR | 56mm f/1.2 R | 27mm f/2.8 Pancake |  Retina iMac & MBP

olstudios
115 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 29, 2009 09:03 |  #131

thanks for the review i will be buying this bag today :D i have been looking around cause i wantd my camera and equipment save in a bag with a little room to have some stuff int here when i travel. has anybody used this while they where traveling?

Equipment:
Canon 60d | Canon 17-40mm F/4L | Canon Speedlite 430exII
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

titep_shin
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2009

May 19, 2009 06:57 |  #132

I m in interested in 466/467 very much.nice 2 read those review.
glad that u all come out with the idea of no need worry about ppl stealing it in the crowd (carabiner)

there's not a complete separation between the upper compartment and the lower padded camera compartment.
This means that one cannot have for an example food or liquids without risking it (crumbles from a sandwich, etc) finding its way down into the camera department

do u guys come out an solution for tht?

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 19, 2009 09:21 |  #133

I don't have a solution for that, except maybe you can put your lunch in plastic bag ?

Anyway, i am just curious, liquids aside, but what harm can a sandwich or a banana do to your camera, lenses etc.? Really? :) They are not that poorly built in my opinion..

- Tuomas Gustafsson
My smugmug (external link) - ( still on the works )
My gear list/ DOF calculator for Nokia phones
With Canon you can... spend all your money on glass.

titep_shin
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2009

May 19, 2009 09:41 |  #134

yup ,wht u say are right.but liquid is my main concern here,as we may not bring sandwich around but we will definitely bring water during day trip.

may b the only choice is use a reliable water bottle. :p

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 22, 2009 14:35 |  #135

titep_shin wrote in post #7949703 (external link)
yup ,wht u say are right.but liquid is my main concern here,as we may not bring sandwich around but we will definitely bring water during day trip.

may b the only choice is use a reliable water bottle. :p

Or you can use the dr-467's bottle holder which is on the side of the bag ;)

- Tuomas Gustafsson
My smugmug (external link) - ( still on the works )
My gear list/ DOF calculator for Nokia phones
With Canon you can... spend all your money on glass.

sponsored links

82,618 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kata DPS DR-467 First thoughts / review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.