Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Mar 2009 (Sunday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying on Ebay, good, bad or neutral

rnoldh
36 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 22, 2009 22:33 |  #1

Everyone likes a bargain as do I.

Ebay always comes to mind as a place to find "that undiscovered bargain".

What kinds of experiences have you guys had with lens buying on Ebay?

Would you recommend it, or just go somewhere reputable like Adorama or B & H?

I was thinking about buying on this forum's buying and selling board but I'm not allowed yet.

I participate in other forums and it seems more collegial and less risky to deal with forum members.

Anyway, what are your opinions of buying on Ebay? Or do you have any sources you'd care to reveal. I've heard good things about KEH.

BTW: If you have a lens that you think would compliment my XSI 18-55 kit lens well, please PM me. Especially if it's a good deal:)

sponsored links
Bucster
439 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 22, 2009 22:48 |  #2

One nice thing about ebay is the limited protection offered by using paypal. If you buy on ebay and use paypal they will protect you from some fraud or disputes you cant work out with the seller.

I love POTN but I bought a couple of items here recently with mixed results. I bought a Sigma 100-300 F/4 lens from another member and it was defective, when I tried to get the member to honor the sale he refused. I'm now spending an additional $250 just to ge the lens fixed. Many people buy and sell here with great results but like anything else buy with caution, many people lack scrupels.

Richard
Gear List
TPDphoto.com (external link)
MyPhotoStudio.org (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 22, 2009 23:01 |  #3

I have not had any problems buying there but I'm careful about what and who I am buying from.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 22, 2009 23:04 as a reply to  @ Bucster's post |  #4

I have bought loads of stuff off ebay over the years, including my 20D and a 100-400L lens. I have had a couple of deals where things weren't 100% as expected (not the camera or the lens, they are both great) but out of over a thousand purchases that isn't a bad record. The little bit of money lost on those deals has been saved many, many times over on all the rest of the stuff I have bought.

I am a big ebay fan, but you do have to be careful. Read the descriptions carefully, only buy expensive items from people with lots of quality feedback and a high positive rating, pay by paypal and fund it from a credit card (then you have protection from paypal and if that fails you can take it up with your card provider and claim from them).

DON'T buy from anybody new who is suddenly offering lots of high dollar items (particularly if they are 'buy-it-now' at very low prices), don't pay by Western Union and don't buy from somebody who won't agree to let you pick an item up in person. You don't actually have to go and get it, but asking if you can is often a safety net. If they say no it could be because they don't actually have the item.

Use a bit of common sense and it is very safe to buy from ebay, the vast majority of the scams are blindingly obvious.

My verdict would be 'good'. I base that on my experiences buying over a thousand items, and selling about five thousand, over the nine years I have been using ebay.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,233 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 22, 2009 23:04 |  #5

rnoldh wrote in post #7577622 (external link)
Everyone likes a bargain as do I.

Ebay always comes to mind as a place to find "that undiscovered bargain".

What kinds of experiences have you guys had with lens buying on Ebay?

Would you recommend it, or just go somewhere reputable like Adorama or B & H?

I was thinking about buying on this forum's buying and selling board but I'm not allowed yet.

I participate in other forums and it seems more collegial and less risky to deal with forum members.

Anyway, what are your opinions of buying on Ebay? Or do you have any sources you'd care to reveal. I've heard good things about KEH.

BTW: If you have a lens that you think would compliment my XSI 18-55 kit lens well, please PM me. Especially if it's a good deal:)

wherever you buy you need to buyer the seller. i'm comfortable buying from ebay, or china or even merchants in new york :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 22, 2009 23:42 |  #6

ed rader wrote in post #7577815 (external link)
wherever you buy you need to buyer the seller.

Howzat again?

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,233 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 23, 2009 03:04 |  #7

xarqi wrote in post #7578049 (external link)
Howzat again?

whoops.... buy the seller :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Emington
225 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 23, 2009 04:41 |  #8

I've bought off here and ebay and have found people on POTN to be better than ebay. But I would advise to meet up and look at what your buying before buying as it can save problems later.

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2009 05:06 as a reply to  @ Emington's post |  #9

i always buy from ebay -

heres the way you do it

Find Item

look at pictures and desciption

Ask seller a question about item - is there any scratches - is there all the pages in the instruction book ect..

just somthing to get them to awnser - this shows its a reaL person and not a bot seller (usualy fake goods)

ask them questions that you want to know - - if they lie paypal will refund you

always find out everything before you bid

if you dont recive or its wrong - contact seller - if they dont reply try again giving 3 days to reply

if they dont file a paypal complaint - if they still dont respond after 5 days take it up with paypal - if paypal reject your claim for whatever reason contact your card company - most are insured against fraud - some 1 lieing about somthing your buying is fraud - you may have to report it to police to get a crime number - make sure you tell them you have been a victim of fraud or they will tell you its a cival mater - MAKE SURE YOU GET A CRIME NUMBER for credit card company

protect yourself - let paypal protect you and your card company

you should never get scamed on ebay

View My Flickr (external link)

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,453 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 28, 2009 08:38 |  #10

There is some very good advice in this thread :cool:

I am looking to purchase two 50D's (one for the g/f) ;)
I am still wondering how the ebay sellers offer such a great price on a factory sealed camera and full manufacture warranty?

The prices are much cheaper than online retail shops like amazon or B&H. I thought buying online was cutting out the middle man, thus better prices. Not the case when ebay prices are brought into the picture.

Thanks for any feedback

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 28, 2009 09:29 |  #11

I have bought a few things on ebay and some were better then others. I never had a real disappointment. I have found though that prices really run up on ebay, sometimes higher then list price for good stuff like L lenses. It may be people bidding from other countries where the prices for everything are higher or it could be bidding fever or sheer stupidity but you have to be careful.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

eth3rton
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 28, 2009 10:53 |  #12

I'll buy but I no longer sell on ebay. Their feedback system leave sellers open for extortion imo. That said I recently purchased a 2408WFP and the seller has made Zero communication with me. The only message I got was an automated shipping notification 4 days after the auction. Its supposed to be here Monday and I debating whether to leave a neutral or not. I mean come on "Gonna ship on the xxth" or "Here's your tracking number". Asking too much?

Justin_Thyme
984 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2009 11:40 |  #13

Personally I avoid fleabay like the plague. Do they offer protection, well to some extent. The last Item I bought that I never received I paid $825. Took 4 months to get $225 and that was that. In the end I Paid $600 to get a huge hole in my pocket and a headache. 10 years ago Fleabay was a decent place to shop, now its the most scammed place there is and high end camera equipmet is among the highest scam rate. Seller has high feedback? Better look closely, recently a sale for high end camera gear went south, 33K positive feedbacks as a powerseller. Problem is the seller did used auto parts and his account was hijacked. Now there is a screwed buyer and seller and a scammer with a fatter wallet. Fleabay went from a place where regular people just wanted to sell off their unused stuff to a place full of scams and people who watch too many infomercials trying to make a million off of fleabay. If you do a seach for a particular item and are looking for a private seller who is just a regular joe it may take you an hour of weeding through the buy it now entrepreneurs .

DaveL
877 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 29, 2009 16:13 |  #14

eth3rton wrote in post #7616828 (external link)
I'll buy but I no longer sell on ebay. Their feedback system leave sellers open for extortion imo. That said I recently purchased a 2408WFP and the seller has made Zero communication with me. The only message I got was an automated shipping notification 4 days after the auction. Its supposed to be here Monday and I debating whether to leave a neutral or not. I mean come on "Gonna ship on the xxth" or "Here's your tracking number". Asking too much?

yes, I think you are... providing a tracker within 4 days isn't great,
but I don't think it justifies a negative or neutral... If I don't hear from
a seller, after say 24 hours, I shoot them a question for seller, and at that
point, they usually get back to me.

Canon 5D MKIII, 6D, 1D Classic
Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 135mm f/2L, 16-35L II,
Alien Bees B800 strobes, softboxes, pocket wizard X's
Gibson Guitars
Friedman Amps

ef2
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 29, 2009 16:29 |  #15

I usually try the reputable sites first, then ebay it. Ebay steals are pretty rare, and I find myself pretty lucky to get a LNIB 5D2 kit for well below retail. As long as I deal with non-shady characters, I'll continue to use ebay. The only time I've been burned was when I bought from a 0 feedback seller (stupid me), but I eventually received the item.

5D Mk III
Canon 580EX
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24mm f/3.5L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm f/2.0 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 135mm f/2.8 SF | 70-200mm [COLOR=black]f/2.8L IS | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX

sponsored links

1,040 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying on Ebay, good, bad or neutral
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.