Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Mar 2009 (Sunday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying on Ebay, good, bad or neutral

eth3rton
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 29, 2009 16:40 |  #16

DaveL wrote in post #7623957 (external link)
yes, I think you are... providing a tracker within 4 days isn't great,
but I don't think it justifies a negative or neutral... If I don't hear from
a seller, after say 24 hours, I shoot them a question for seller, and at that
point, they usually get back to me.

Actually I did. 3 emails around 24hrs apart from each other. Guess I expected better communication from a larger purchase.

sponsored links
charl1e
246 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 29, 2009 16:52 |  #17

I have bought from ebay quite a few times, and every time has been a great experience. IMO, only buy from ebay if you know what you want, and be sure to examine the person selling the item first. For example, i bought my 5dmarkii for 2620 shipped from some guy in Illinois, instead of from the new york companies on the sight, and it came perfectly. Also, if the deal is too good, skip it and buy from somewhere more reliable.

Canon 5D Mark III, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Sigma 24-35mm f2 ART
Add me on Facebook! (external link)
Charlie Chang Photography (external link)

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 29, 2009 20:15 |  #18

In the past, I've had pretty good success buying on ebay. Everything has been pretty much as described, but I think better deals can be had here and on FM. I picked up a few deals when the Live cashback was 25-30% before Christmas, but I typically don't look to ebay much anymore since the seller fees have driven the prices up.

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2009 22:21 |  #19

I buy a LOT on eBay. Not as much as I once did since I buy almost all my retail goods from Amazon now given the Amazon Prime 2-day shipping as well as overnight for just $4/item.

I have bought two used lenses on eBay with a bit of trepidation. But it was during the big Live.com cashback deal of 25% plus I had two 10% PayPal coupons under different ID's. So, I got good deals and they were both private sellers. And both times I was EXTREMELY pleased with the lenses and no use them daily. I have also bought used laptops at significant savings from private sellers with no worry at all. Just research the seller in general to see their buying habits as well as selling record. Most of the time the small private guy is fine. It's the sellers who list stuff that "fell off the back of a truck" or they bought in pallets of returned merchandise that should be of concern. And any seller with the $2000 Buyer Protection is going to be safe to buy from. PayPal has always backed me up both as a buyer and seller because I take the time to know what needs done and have reasonable expectations.

One caveat about small sellers is typically the need the funds from the items they are selling in order to live. So, once paid the money is likely gone. So use a credit card whenever possible. I think PayPal has also gotten more in line with that idea also to help buyers. Unavailability of funds in refunds is the biggest concern when buying from a small seller.

And as other have mentioned buying here is a GREAT experience. I have purchased more lenses here then anywhere else. Just keep an eye on how long they have been around if you are worried. And also for larger purchases require they send you an official PayPal invoice for the item in question. That shows you are not just sending the other person money for whatever reason not related to a purchase. And remember nobody is going to screw you for a $25 item....unless they are selling 1000 of them all over the web.

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

octospit
109 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2009 22:35 |  #20

i've had no problems buying from E-Bay...try to stay with sellers that have actual photos of their items, not stock photos. always use paypal for protection. i also bought things through craigslist, getting to look at the item before buying is always a plus!

Our pictures are our footprints. It’s the best way to tell people we were here. - Joe McNally
Flickr (external link) RDOMINGCIL (external link) GEARModelMayhem (external link)

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 29, 2009 22:45 |  #21

I quit on ebay almost two years ago after a string of bad experiences all of it with camera equipment. Purchases and sales I did for other things seemed to go pretty well.

In short, I got screwed on a lens and some CF cards. The CF cards were sold as NIB but had music videos on them from the previous owner (they were Toby Keith mostly so I watched them). The lens was sold "as new" but was horribly broken, probably dropped. I ended up paying almost $200 to fix it. The dispute process was a joke.

So, no to ebay in my opinion. I have bought from this board and fredmiranda.com. Most people here take great care of their equipment. But most of my purchases have been with BH and Adorama because you get a guarantee and the price is realistic.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

joooowan
717 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 30, 2009 00:53 |  #22

i got my refurb 30D from ebay, its flawless.

the seller also had like a 99.9% positive feedback out of 12thousand

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 30, 2009 01:10 |  #23

HoosierJoe wrote in post #7626446 (external link)
I quit on ebay almost two years ago after a string of bad experiences all of it with camera equipment. Purchases and sales I did for other things seemed to go pretty well.

In short, I got screwed on a lens and some CF cards. The CF cards were sold as NIB but had music videos on them from the previous owner (they were Toby Keith mostly so I watched them). The lens was sold "as new" but was horribly broken, probably dropped. I ended up paying almost $200 to fix it. The dispute process was a joke.

So, no to ebay in my opinion. I have bought from this board and fredmiranda.com. Most people here take great care of their equipment. But most of my purchases have been with BH and Adorama because you get a guarantee and the price is realistic.

I agree that I am very cautious about buying electronic gear on eBay. But no more so than buying used anywhere else.

As to your comment about Buyer Protection disputes with the item either being broken or nor DOA being a joke, there has to be a lot more to what happended than you have disclosed for you to lose a "significantly not as described" dispute. It's that simple. Still it should never have happened or been so complicated that the buyer can screw themselves or some idiot reviewing the dispute has no clue and just screws up.

Personally we have received as much as a $1200 refund because a seller failed to pack an item to meet the requirements of the shipping agent, in this case the Royal Post & USPS and it arrived broken. All I needed was for the USPS to deny the insurance claim due to improper packing and submit that written denial of coverage due to inadequate packing to PayPal and that was that, money was returned in full including shipping. And this was an antique oil lamp shipped from England to us here in the US.

I suppose it is all a matter of what one does to follow the requirements for buyer protection. I was on the inside of how these things worked for a number of years as a end user oversight type consultant. Other than a handful of total twits (and trust me there were more and seven of those sorts at any given microsecond) handling disputes on the PayPal side, every time there was a denial to the buyer, some paperwork was not submitted correctly, the comments were not to the point about the issue and were more personal in nature or the buyer demands were in direct conflict with the seller terms. Such as a product sold "as-is, working condition unknown" and then when it did not work the buyer files a complaint and expects to get their money back...ummm...no. A seller simply stating items as all sold as-is is not sufficent to prevent a forced refund. As-is is simply too vague to protect the seller. Yet it is often used as an attempt to hide known damage and buffalo a buyer into thinking they have no recourse...it comes down to reasonable expectations of a seller to plug in a device to see if it powers on, examine a piece of porcelain for damage and as such they need to disclose exactly what issues, if any, were found. If no testing/examination was done then they need to specifically disclose fact and declare the item "as-is condition unknown buy at own risk may be DOA" or something to that effect. If testing was done, to protect themselves sellers need to specifically state what testing was done and what results were found.

On the other hand if the seller fails to disclose to the buyer, the item is damaged, untested, or whatever then the seller loses because the buyer has a reasonable expectation of full disclosure. I was told this by eBay's head counsel around 2001 I believe. The buyer also has a resonable expectation that the item(s) will be properly packed to ensure safe arrival.

Though there was a time a few years back when buyer protection refunds were all screwed up because they were dependent on PayPal recovering funds from the seller. If the seller had no funds in their PayPal account then the buyer did get screwed if the buyer did not use a credit card. PayPal has changed this sometime last year. But trust me that was one topic we argued long and aggressively with eBay/PayPal about. That was because eBay and PayPal as the ones vetting both the buyer AND seller. Neither buyer or seller has the ability beyond the information provided on the eBay site to determine the reputation of their trading partner. Now PayPal is actually backing the transaction with their own cash because they were getting too many chargebacks after failure to recover funds for the buyer from the seller. And in that way you are right it WAS a joke it you did not cross all the "i's" and dot all the "t's" but that is no longer the case it has bbeen improved to be more in line with how your credit card functions to protect you as a consumer. And like I said it was your fellow buyers AND sellers who wanted it all completely changed because no buyer should lose funds on such a transaction when PayPal and eBay both are the ones vetting the vendor. Credit card companies already know they lose that sort of thing in court so the consumer almost always wins a chargeback dispute when it is valid.

As with all things, you need to be careful who you deal with...and even then it might not work out. Look at some of the very frustrating transactions buyers have had dealing with many long time online vendors of camera gear. Folks post their frustrations all the time about shady practices. Yet often those same companies have sterling reputations on eBay because they lose a lot of incentives should they fail to live up the the standards as they exist today.

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2009 06:44 |  #24

brecklundin wrote in post #7627287 (external link)
I agree that I am very cautious about buying electronic gear on eBay. But no more so than buying used anywhere else.

As to your comment about Buyer Protection disputes with the item either being broken or nor DOA being a joke, there has to be a lot more to what happended than you have disclosed for you to lose a "significantly not as described" dispute. It's that simple. Still it should never have happened or been so complicated that the buyer can screw themselves or some idiot reviewing the dispute has no clue and just screws up.

I wasn't a new ebayer. The wife and I had bought and sold educational materials on there for several years. Mostly those transactions went smoothly.I was fairly new to the whole camera transaction thing.
Yeah, there is a whole lot to that story. That is the micro condensed version. The upshot is I was scammed and the disputes went nowhere. This guy went so far as to photoshop the product so you couldn't see obvious damage. The seller successfully disappeared with probably the money from more transactions than mine.

Of course to be fair to ebay. I have to admit that I put a lens for sale on there 3 years back. Worth maybe $150-175 and someone bid $275 for it. So, it works both ways sometimes.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

wayneferrell479
39 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 31, 2009 00:19 |  #25

[deleted by me] realized i didn't add anything to the discussion.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

sponsored links

1,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying on Ebay, good, bad or neutral
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.