Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Mar 2009 (Monday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why Oh Why Do People Moan About 50D

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,430 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 30, 2009 10:29 |  #16

canonnoob wrote in post #7628698 (external link)
most people will agree and many will disagree with me but the 50d was not a great upgrade from the 40d. simple as that. and since most of the forum has 40ds... they (and myself) are justifying the purchase of their 40d i guess. Honestly I dont see the 50d as a bad camera, just not a worthwhile upgrade from the 40d.

And the 40D wasn't a big upgrade over the 30D, and the 30D was not a big upgrade over the 20D, etc.

The story is the same year after year. The standing rule for the past 3 years from what I have seen is that only sensible thing for most folks is to skip every other release. There is no real definition of what the ideal upgrade of one body over the prior is, everyone has their own subjective opinion.

Bottom line, buy what you want, need and/or can afford, and own that decision. If you don't like it after the fact, in most cases it is nobody else's fault, but your own for having purchased it (unless you want to discuss the AF issues on the MKIII when it first came out).

If you are happy with what you have, then keep it and use it.

There are only 2 decisions really, and neither of these will likely have anything to do with Canon.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

sponsored links
TSmith8779
298 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 30, 2009 11:26 |  #17

I upgraded from a 30D, which I really loved. My 50D is a better camera in everyway. I don't regret the upgrade at all. I rarely use the very high iso's that seem to produce the most noise. I really like the micro adjustment and being able to crop a bit more because of the high megapixels. I usually upgrade every other model, so my next one will probably be a 70D....unless I can justify and save enough for a 5DII.

Canon 6D & 7D. Panasonic GX85 and a number of ever changing lenses.

huhging
Goldmember
1,092 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 30, 2009 11:32 |  #18

I just bought 50D as a backup camera, and it's amazing.
I've used 20D, 40D, and 5D...and now have 1DsMkII as main body, but this 50D is really fun to play with.
I don't know about you guys, but I think the sharp and big LCD alone is well worth over 40D.
IQ? ..... many people may swamp over me by saying this, but I think it's a tad batter than 40D. Plus, it has more room for cropping.

Gear

jock3
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 30, 2009 11:36 |  #19

I added the 50d to the collection last Sept and after 75,000+ clicks it has proved ultra reliable and the upgrades i.m.o. make it a worthwhile addition and as a it brings the money in it needs to do the job. BTW neither do I agree with the comments re noise at high ISO, the punters hare happy so thats what counts and a lot of what I do is low light evening motorsport. If they weren't happy the bills wouldn't be paid.
As for the 60 bring it on, I want it in Sept and dont need the video.

Most Canons currently - 1D(Mks 2&3&4), 7D gripped 50D gripped x2, 40Dgripped x2, 30Dgripped, 20D gripped, 350 gripped, 300. with L lenses

WEBSITES - http://knockhillimages​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
& http://aviationandmari​timeimages.smugmug.com​/ (external link)

Skonk
147 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 30, 2009 12:02 |  #20

I'd like a 50D, mainly for the improvements to the rear display screen but the main issue with the 50D is that 15mp is just a little too much to cram into an APS-C sensor; which is why it performs worse than the 40D in some high ISO tests.

It would probably have been much better recieved had they kept it to around 12mp or something.

As we all know, huge mega pixel counts is generally just a gimmick that doesn't really add much in terms of quality (and in the case of the 50D, is actually detrimental to the quality in some cases).

But that said, if I had the money I would probably trade in my 40D and get one.

James.

Canon EOS 40D | 1000D
MP-E 65mm | EF 100-400mm L | EF-S 18-55mm IS | Sigma 105mm Macro | EF 50mm f/1.8
MT-24 EX | 580EX II | Kenko Tube Set 12-20-36 | BG-E2N Battery Grip
Full Gear List

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 30, 2009 12:23 |  #21

TeamSpeed wrote in post #7629218 (external link)
And the 40D wasn't a big upgrade over the 30D, and the 30D was not a big upgrade over the 20D, etc.

The story is the same year after year. The standing rule for the past 3 years from what I have seen is that only sensible thing for most folks is to skip every other release. There is no real definition of what the ideal upgrade of one body over the prior is, everyone has their own subjective opinion.

Bottom line, buy what you want, need and/or can afford, and own that decision. If you don't like it after the fact, in most cases it is nobody else's fault, but your own for having purchased it (unless you want to discuss the AF issues on the MKIII when it first came out).

If you are happy with what you have, then keep it and use it.

There are only 2 decisions really, and neither of these will likely have anything to do with Canon.

my point was that this wasnt a huge upgrade over the 40d. It would be a worthwhile upgrade for the owners of the 30d and below but not enough for a 40d. Simple as that..

David W.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 30, 2009 12:34 as a reply to  @ canonnoob's post |  #22

Yep.
I would imagine going from a 30D to a 50D would be a pretty nice upgrade, but from a 40D to 50D, it's not much.

Though I would say things like MFA is certainly a very nice feature to have that is lacking from the 40D...not to mention the lovely LCD.:D

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Mar 30, 2009 12:34 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #23

The 50d is a joy to work with!
I'm what you call a pixel peeper, I tend to play around with photoshop and therefore I need to go "deep".
On the 50d the feeling goes both ways. On one hand you have all the marvelous pixels to fine-cut the subjects, on the other hand the details aren't that crisp as with a 30d, like for instance eyes.
My mistake, since I'm a portrait lover I should have gone for the 5d (or save up for the 5dII)

I have the 50d since january and found out that there is a learning curve that comes with it. The (almost) double pixelcount makes the camera more sensible to mistakes like shake and sharpness. One has to be more carefull in taking the shot. Once you have the hang of it (being more concentrated) it's a joy to see the result.

By the way, I also have the Rebel, the 30d and with the 50d the pictures mostly come out just fine, with no need of extra enhancing (levels and contrast) and I use the same settings for each of them. It sure saves a lot of time in PP.

That said I still plan on buying the 5dII somewhere next year.

Greatings from Ghent,

Alain,

elitejp
Goldmember
1,754 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 30, 2009 12:52 as a reply to  @ Lenty007's post |  #24

This forum really helped me as I was learning about dslr's and what camera to buy. But I also learned really quickly that alot of posts have nothing to do with anything except complaining. Some people will even write out a long story about how stupid you are rather than answering a Q that couldve been easily answered:rolleyes:

Now despite everyones complaining about how sucky a rebel series camera is (for example) I just look at some of the pictures that members have posted and realize that the rebels are quite good cameras. The same goes for the 50D. Just look at the pictures and decide for yourself if the camera sucks.

Someone just a few days ago just put a side by side pic using a p&s and a dslr. Now that really puts things in perspective.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 30, 2009 13:05 |  #25

While I agree with your assessment of POTN, and you will always get bad seeds everywhere, compared to other websites, it's very pleasant to be here. Much more friendly atmosphere and much more folks willing to help others regardless of skill level.

As for Rebels, except for high ISO noise difference, there really isn't a jaw dropping difference in IQ between a sub $1000 Rebel and something like the 1 series bodies.

However, I think folks need to put things in perspective. Yes an upgrade/update implies improvement. Certainly, the 50D offers up improvement in the features category, but strictly speaking IQ, it has never been the case where you would suddenly see a jump. It just doesn't happen. And mostly, if any difference is seen, it's in the High ISO noise category.

Such was the case when I went from the 30D/40D to the 5D. The same when I went from the 5D to the 1DMKIII. But then we are talking about a jump from one product line to the next...

elitejp wrote in post #7630109 (external link)
This forum really helped me as I was learning about dslr's and what camera to buy. But I also learned really quickly that alot of posts have nothing to do with anything except complaining. Some people will even write out a long story about how stupid you are rather than answering a Q that couldve been easily answered:rolleyes:

Now despite everyones complaining about how sucky a rebel series camera is (for example) I just look at some of the pictures that members have posted and realize that the rebels are quite good cameras. The same goes for the 50D. Just look at the pictures and decide for yourself if the camera sucks.

Someone just a few days ago just put a side by side pic using a p&s and a dslr. Now that really puts things in perspective.

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 30, 2009 15:47 |  #26

canonnoob wrote in post #7628698 (external link)
most people will agree and many will disagree with me but the 50d was not a great upgrade from the 40d. simple as that. and since most of the forum has 40ds... they (and myself) are justifying the purchase of their 40d i guess. Honestly I dont see the 50d as a bad camera, just not a worthwhile upgrade from the 40d.

This I would completely agree with. I don't think it is a great upgrade from 40D.

I upgraded to 50D from Rebel XSi (450D). That is an awesome upgrade IMO.

It's simple. If 40D owners don't think it is a worthwhile upgrade, than don't upgrade. I'm with OP...stop complaining about it and trying to justify in your mind why you can't/won't get one!  :p

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2009 16:02 |  #27

I saw an exhaustive review comparing the 50D, 5D, and 5DII image quality. The 50D was ever so slightly behind when viewed with a magnifying glass. So to the naked eye the prints were practically identical.

Good enough. It's not like we all work for National Geographic.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

MyCatsAnnoyingMe
137 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 30, 2009 16:34 as a reply to  @ HoosierJoe's post |  #28

I saw an exhaustive review comparing the 50D, 5D, and 5DII image quality. The 50D was ever so slightly behind when viewed with a magnifying glass. So to the naked eye the prints were practically identical.

That's absurd where the 5D MKII is concerned. If you're getting the same results with the 50D and 5D MKII you're doing something really wrong.

I had a 50D, nice camera, nothing wrong with it. I love and miss the micro adjustment, that's a great feature to include. I don't really care about the LCD I shoot RAW only so everything but composition is of no consequence. It does produce a lot of noise, no way around it, and that's not ****, it's just a fact of the technology. Small sensor's only going to hold so much. ;)

Canon 1D MKII : Canon 40D
100-400mm 4.5-5.6 IS L USM, 24-70 2.8 L USM, 85mm 1.8 USM, 50mm 1.4 USM
Lensbaby Composer
580EX II, 430EX

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,430 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 30, 2009 16:40 |  #29

MyCatsAnnoyingMe wrote in post #7631455 (external link)
That's absurd where the 5D MKII is concerned. If you're getting the same results with the 50D and 5D MKII you're doing something really wrong.

I had a 50D, nice camera, nothing wrong with it. I love and miss the micro adjustment, that's a great feature to include. I don't really care about the LCD I shoot RAW only so everything but composition is of no consequence. It does produce a lot of noise, no way around it, and that's not ****, it's just a fact of the technology. Small sensor's only going to hold so much. ;)

Depends. At lower ISOs, I would expect that this is really the case. We are at the point in the evolution in digital cameras that IQ won't be the deciding factor but rather high ISO performance (even at the expense of heavy handed noise removal inbody in some manufacturers' eyes), image sizes, and features will be. Nikon caught onto this in the last couple of years and it now shows in their take of the market share.

It would be really neat to take a series of shots from various cameras at a set ISO (let's say 800), post them onto a site and create a poll under each image as to which body took it. Even the seasoned folks here would have a hard time in alot of cases determining which body took which picture.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Mar 30, 2009 16:51 |  #30

i griped. fixed issue..everything is A-OK.

sponsored links

7,160 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why Oh Why Do People Moan About 50D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.