Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Mar 2009 (Monday) 20:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Image Quality Question Using L Series

Photoman65
303 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 30, 2009 20:08 |  #1

Has anyone experienced a horizontal solid white line in the upper top of their images after shooting with these lenses? This line does not appear within the image(s) 100% and I'm not sure if this white line is caused by these lenses are just the image sensor is going bad. Any suggestions?;)

85mm f/1.2II
70mm-200mm f/2.8 IS
100mm-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS

Canon USA Gear! Cameras: 5D MKIII & 7D L Lenses: 24mm-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 II, 70mm-200mm f/2.8 IS, 1.4II Ext, 580 EXII Speedlite

sponsored links
Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 30, 2009 20:11 |  #2

Post a pic. Could be that your shutter about to die. Could be a bum CF card. Could be fluorescent lighting, could be many things, but it doesn't sound like a lens issue.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,453 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined May 2007

Mar 30, 2009 20:11 |  #3

I've never had this problem but I was wondering if the problem recurrs while using a different memory card?

No? Then its a bad card.

Yes? Then I would start by cleaning my sensor.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2009 20:16 |  #4

I can't think of any part of the lens that would create a horizontal line across an image, especially when all of the internals of the lens are round.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,285 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 30, 2009 20:17 |  #5

Sorry, no photoman - I only have the 70-200 of your choices and all is well with it.

I'm with Perry's suggestion that it may be shutter related. I tend not to think it would be a card related issue, my feeling that cards either work for the most part or not at all, with the periodic image that may "disappear" due to a bad sector or such; no proof of the latter..... just anecdotal info.

Photoman65 wrote in post #7632675 (external link)
Has anyone experienced a horizontal solid white line in the upper top of their images after shooting with these lenses? This line does not appear within the image(s) 100% and I'm not sure if this white line is caused by these lenses are just the image sensor is going bad. Any suggestions?;)

85mm f/1.2II
70mm-200mm f/2.8 IS
100mm-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Park ­ Street
113 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 30, 2009 20:20 |  #6

I had a similar problem with a 1DS MarkIII and it was the shutter. Send it in to Canon.

Park Street - It Really Is My Name!
http://www.parkstreetp​hotography.com (external link)

Photoman65
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 31, 2009 15:52 |  #7

Ouch! Park Street,

If the shutter is going bad, then how much is repair cost to fix this issue. Also, I have less than 45k actuation on my 1Ds MKII, so isn't this consider extremely low compared to 200k actuation life cycle?

Canon USA Gear! Cameras: 5D MKIII & 7D L Lenses: 24mm-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 II, 70mm-200mm f/2.8 IS, 1.4II Ext, 580 EXII Speedlite

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 31, 2009 18:05 |  #8

Again: Post an image if you want anything but guesses...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,008 views & 0 likes for this thread
Image Quality Question Using L Series
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.