Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 02 Aug 2008 (Saturday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why did you choose to shoot Canon?

Omlyn
41 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2009 08:17 as a reply to  @ post 7647160 |  #136

I read all the DPReview reviews for entry level DSLRs and went to the after christmas sale with the intent of getting the heavily discounted Olympus. They were all sold. I toyed with the Sony alpha200 and was nearly ready to pull the trigger (even with some concern about the reported noise at moderate ISO) due to price. Then the guy pulls out the XS kit and says "This is my last one $440 and its yours" (Canadian). I couldn't say no to that and have been very happy with the choice. I would like a 50D though :)

sponsored links
HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 02, 2009 08:47 as a reply to  @ post 7647160 |  #137

I chose Canon because I am a redneck rebel.

Way back yonder in High School, in the mid 70's. There was the great Nikon vs Canon debate in our photography classes. Nikon always got the nod as the cream of the crop. The snob kids who didn't have to work for their money got Nikons from mommy and daddy. Kids like me bagged groceries and cut grass and bought Canon and Minolta. I had the money to get a Nikon but wouldn't, the salesman tried hard to sell me one but I chose a Canon Ae-1.

When I went digital it was to Canon because I knew the brand was reliable.

Now I'm going back in the trailer and have a PBR!

Ain't nothin but a thing.

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 02, 2009 09:05 as a reply to  @ post 7647160 |  #138

I got into Canon because back in January 2005 there was a rebate going on the Digital Rebel. I didn't even know there were other DSLRs out there.

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,258 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 02, 2009 10:12 |  #139

HoosierJoe wrote in post #7651061 (external link)
Now I'm going back in the trailer and have a PBR!

:).

I enjoyed my feature laden A20 for several years so I naturally bought a 50D as a backup.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i735.photobucke​t.com …dvultureface/IM​G_2103.jpg (external link)

Jon_Doh
874 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 02, 2009 10:32 as a reply to  @ oldvultureface's post |  #140

Years ago when I first got into photography, in the film days, it was a matter of money. I really wanted a Nikon 8080, but it cost more than I could afford so I settled on the Canon Elan. When I was moving up to a better camera my choices again were the Nikon N90 and the Canon A2. I really liked the way the Nikon felt, how good its metering was and how fast it autofocused. But getting the Canon meant keeping compatibility with my lenses and with the money saved, adding accessories.

When it came time to go digital I was starting over because my lenses were so old they would not work on the newer digital bodies. The d200 was out and Popular Photography said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I considered it but was turned off by all the knobs, dials and wheels. It was just too awkward to use. The Canon 30D was a piece of cake to operate and had similar controls to my old A2. So I stayed in the Canon world. I've since moved up to the 1d Mark III and find it and extremely easy camera to operate. There are things I like about the Nikons - their flash system, metering system, even the Nikon colors for example, but I hate trying to use one. They simply frustrate me. Not only is everything backwards, but there is just too much to remember - hold this down with one finger while pushing a button and spinning a wheel at the same time. Who in the world thought up that awkward dial on the front grip?

Last summer I was with a group of photographers from a local photo club and we were shooting a sun rise from a mountain. It was dark and we began shooting when the sun began peeking over the mountain top. I noticed a D3 user struggling to make some changes on his camera in the dark, while I could make mine while I was looking through the viewfinder. Ease of use and just enough features in the feature set are reasons I chose and stay with Canon. If a camera is too difficult to use then you're not going to be as apt to go out and take pictures. Photography is fun, using your camera should be fun and not a frustrating experience.

I use a Kodak Brownie

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 02, 2009 10:39 as a reply to  @ post 7647160 |  #141

I chose to switch to Canon because of their glass, superior high ISO noise control and the fact that they had FF. Obviously at that time, Nikon didn't have much for me in those departments. I'd probably be shooting Nikon now if all the latest products they've been pumping out were available. But, I'm happy with my kit.

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Apr 02, 2009 10:50 as a reply to  @ thatkatmat's post |  #142

I chose Canon because when I decided to get a little more serious about my photography and get a digital SLR, the Canon 10D was THE camera to get.

Never regreted going with Canon and still use my 10D side by side with my 5D's ... it is that good!

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

Jared ­ Byer
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2009 11:51 as a reply to  @ post 7647160 |  #143

When I was in High School the journalism department had just bought a Rebel X. I used it some. When I graduated High School I was given a camera - it was the Rebel G (1998 ). I really liked that camera. A few years later I picked up an Elan IIe it a great price and I loved that camera (I still think that camera has the best ergonomics of any camera I ever used and I still miss the eye control focus). By the time I decided to go digital I had a handfull of canon lenses. By sticking with canon I was able to get the Rebel XT body cheaper than I could a kit, plus at the time it didn't seem like anyone had a DSLR anywhere near the price that could keep up with the XT. The XT has been a great camera for me. Now that it is time to upgrade again (Really looking at getting a 50D but might go cheaper and get a 40D) I have even better canon lenses.

My Walk around kit: EOS 50D, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 & Canon 75-300 F4.5-5.6

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 02, 2009 13:21 as a reply to  @ post 7647160 |  #144

See my username. :lol:

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 02, 2009 13:34 as a reply to  @ post 7647160 |  #145

Had a bunch of friends who had Canon point and shoots, and I had a Rebel2000 as well. Service was always great in the off chance something went wrong as well.

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 02, 2009 13:35 |  #146
bannedPermanent ban

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #7652714 (external link)
See my username. :lol:

for a forum name?

:p

I suck at Photoshop.

simplymono
110 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 02, 2009 13:36 as a reply to  @ post 7647160 |  #147

I moved to Canon from Nikon due to price of pro lenses being cheaper. Will move back to Nikon when I can afford it though

bbbig
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 02, 2009 13:46 as a reply to  @ simplymono's post |  #148

I decided to go Canon, as my first digital camera was a PowerShot SD400, and I just loved its image quality and color. I never thought digital images (at such low resolution) could look that good, even when printed. So, I figured I should go with another Canon as it's more likely to give me the image quality I desired. I bought the 30D as I was looking for a "non-plastic" body, with a budget of around $1000.

I also picked up a 24-70L, because I also thought I should spend about $1k on the lens. Looking back, I didn't really know much about how good of a lens that was, or any clue on crop factor, other lenses, etc. Just got lucked out I guess. I also read I should get a flash for indoor bounce photos, so I got a 430EX at the same time too.

I was very happy with that setup for about a year, then as I learned more about other lenses and cameras, I decided to go full-frame. I too was waiting for 5Dmk2 for the longest time, but gave up and decided to get a 1DsMk2 used instead, then sold my 30D. I picked up a few more lenses since, a 530EX II, etc. and been very happy with this setup so far.

I most likely not to switch to Nikon or anything else, unless Canon abandons EF mount some day (and I'm sure it will!). I'll probably give this camera to my kids... although their camera phone will probably take better pictures by then. :)

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 02, 2009 13:48 |  #149
bannedPermanent ban

simplymono wrote in post #7652826 (external link)
I moved to Canon from Nikon due to price of pro lenses being cheaper. Will move back to Nikon when I can afford it though

haha i like that you said that and what your sig says.

I suck at Photoshop.

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 02, 2009 14:33 |  #150

Lazuka wrote in post #7652818 (external link)
for a forum name?

:p

Well it is a predominately CANON site, and who knows, maybe a high ranking canon rep or bigwig might be lurking one of these days, and see my username, and be flattered that I think so highly of their WHITE lenses and let me have my choice of one (or more) for free. :lol:

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

sponsored links

23,459 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why did you choose to shoot Canon?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.