Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do in this situation?

I ­ Like ­ to ­ Watch
123 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2009 18:07 |  #16

René Damkot wrote in post #7603310 (external link)
Blind them with flash :lol:

I'm not dropping my pants for any shark :eek:

Canon 5D Mk lll & 50D : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS , Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 50mm f/1.4

sponsored links
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 03, 2009 21:27 |  #17

Joshua Bowden wrote in post #7596426 (external link)
Hey guys :D

Say I wanted to go down to the beach and shoot pictures of my brother in the surf, and I wanted to shoot from the sand what would you do?

If the wind picks up and the sand goes flying im f'ed :D

Haha, so what would you use/do to prevent the sand getting near the body/lens?

Joshhh

I literally live on a beach and have for more than 20 years.

When sand blows - and it has to be really honking for it to get way airborne (like 50 knots or so). Otherwise it just blows around usually about 6" off the surface or if it's pretty windy no more than about 18".

Just don't put your camera bag down low and you will be fine. UV filters are not required.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Here ­ and ­ There
193 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 03, 2009 22:08 |  #18

Jethro790 wrote in post #7598789 (external link)
I go to the beach all the time with my gear. For 1, I always use a sling type bag there, or any bag that you can get the camera in and out of quickly will do. I am constantly putting in away between shooting with it as opposed to keeping it around my neck always like I usually do. Be careful putting the bag down, if you do, put something down before it, like a towel or jacket if possible. You don't want sand to get in your bag, that's the worst of all. I don't use filters at all, unless it's for effect, I just try to keep the camera out of the wind. If sand is blowing around where you are, you'll know it.

That sums it up nicely. Though personally, I have a high quality UV filter on at all times when I'm at the beach.

XSI gripped - Canon 10-22 - Canon 35 f2 - Canon 100 macro - Canon 100-400

rowan57
226 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 04, 2009 09:45 |  #19

Let me give a little more background on what i said. I have a P&S and more recently a 40D. The P&S (Powershot A95), i have had almost since it first came out. About 6 months after than, i got sand in the lens after dropping it. 4 years later or so, its still got sand in the zoom mechanism but is fine. The cost to service it and remove said sand is £60, for which i could basically get a new camera.

Get out and shoot, gear isn't meant to be babied!

Cheers
Rowan

lostinca
79 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 05, 2009 05:55 |  #20

If the wind is so bad that it's kicking up sand I think it's safe to say the surf would be blown out anyways. Hence a quick session if one at all. Or you can shoot from the pier if there is one.

40D 24-105L 430ex II

http://agarcia.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

lostinca
79 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 05, 2009 05:56 |  #21

rowan57 wrote in post #7665389 (external link)
Get out and shoot, gear isn't meant to be babied!

Cheers
Rowan

Mine is! :)

40D 24-105L 430ex II

http://agarcia.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

iddycourt
283 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2009 08:15 |  #22

Joshua Bowden wrote in post #7596426 (external link)
Hey guys :D

Say I wanted to go down to the beach and shoot pictures of my brother in the surf, and I wanted to shoot from the sand what would you do?

If the wind picks up and the sand goes flying im f'ed :D

Haha, so what would you use/do to prevent the sand getting near the body/lens?

Joshhh

I notice your from NSW australia, what beach were you going to?
I have taken my camera to the beach many times particularly newcastle and merewether beach, and the only time your going to have issues, is if your standing in the water, and a big wave breaks.
Just watch the sets of waves, but the only way sand is going to be an issue there, is if its really windy.
stand on the wet sand, wet sand doesnt get blown around in small winds, not sure about large winds as i dont take cameras down then

Canon EOS 450d, 18-55mm IS, 75-300mm, 50mm 1.8

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 05, 2009 10:58 |  #23

I was in SF years ago with my brand new T-90 and spent a lot of time shooting around the windy coast. There wasn't a lot of grit around but there was a lot of salt in the air. Shortly thereafter all the electronics in the camera started going wonky. This was in the days of mechanical-everything lenses so they didn't fail, but I ended up getting the camera repaired/replaced, no questions asked, under an aftermarket service agreement (Ritz). So, do I take precautions all the time? Yes, I do. Filters, sealed body or a rain cover, minimized exposure.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 05, 2009 11:33 |  #24

I've had my Sony 707 in hurricanes and beaches more times than I can count.... 7 years later it is still working fine.

As mentioned earlier. Flying sand rarely gets higher than knee level and it takes a LOT of wind to get it above ankle level.

Yes, my 40D and lenses are certainly not as "tight" as the old Sony but a bit of common sense and all should be fine. Mine will be hitting the islands in June. I'll report back if I get any sand in my camera ;-)a

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do in this situation?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.