Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 01:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Strobist Vs Studio strobes - please help me decide

stince
295 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 09, 2009 13:16 |  #16

I can shoot F64 full power on my Nikon SB28 and still have excellent light.

I want to get some softbox, beauty dish's now for them :)

Jeff Stinson
Mid-Atlantic Photographer – jeffstinsonphoto.com (external link)Sportsshooter.com (external link)
Canon 1D Mk III | Canon 1D Mk IIN | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L | 50 1.4 | 300 2.8L

sponsored links
DoomMan
543 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 09, 2009 13:50 |  #17

Mix and match them. Get at least 1 good strobe and some speed lights. You have the power when you can use it, plus the versitility of speedlight when you need something lightweight

5dII |135L| 35L| 85L| 24-70L| 540ez
www.DaneVanLizzen.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,728 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 09, 2009 14:35 |  #18

Recycle time: Studio strobe usually only <1sec, speedling >2sec even with ext. battery pack
Modifiers: Studio has more diverse range of selection from many manufacturers (ignoring the cheapo studio lights aimed at the hobbyist market(
Portability: Speedlight wins
Speed to set up: Speedlight wins
Modelling light: Studio strobe wins

If you have little lighting experience, the modelling light is a true blessing, as you instantly can SEE what light position does, without taking a photo! It provides you with the rapid optimization of light for that specific subject, whereas speedlight is always a guess until you chimp, and a lot of subjects won't put up with that time wasting nonsense! This, IMHO, is the single strongest reason for a lighting rookie to get studio lighting!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 09, 2009 15:01 |  #19

Wilt wrote in post #7699290 (external link)
Recycle time: Studio strobe usually only <1sec, speedling >2sec even with ext. battery pack
Modifiers: Studio has more diverse range of selection from many manufacturers (ignoring the cheapo studio lights aimed at the hobbyist market(
Portability: Speedlight wins
Speed to set up: Speedlight wins
Modelling light: Studio strobe wins

If you have little lighting experience, the modelling light is a true blessing, as you instantly can SEE what light position does, without taking a photo! It provides you with the rapid optimization of light for that specific subject, whereas speedlight is always a guess until you chimp, and a lot of subjects won't put up with that time wasting nonsense! This, IMHO, is the single strongest reason for a lighting rookie to get studio lighting!

Very well said and right on the mark.

To be effective with speed and quality with speedlites, it comes with experience... and lots of it.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

stince
295 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 09, 2009 15:21 as a reply to  @ EmaginePixel's post |  #20

If your doing studio and outdoor, portable, speedlites is the way to go.

Get/make yourself a Beauty dish, a softbox, maybe some gels.

Thats what i have.

3 10' Stands, boom arm, 2 nikon SB28's, 430ex, and some softboxes, beauty dish, refelctors. :)

Jeff Stinson
Mid-Atlantic Photographer – jeffstinsonphoto.com (external link)Sportsshooter.com (external link)
Canon 1D Mk III | Canon 1D Mk IIN | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L | 50 1.4 | 300 2.8L

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2009 01:40 |  #21

I'm setting myself up with some speedlights at the moment but the thing about strobes, especially if you are new to lighing, is the modeling lights, they really help you design and see your light an I think it's pretty huge.

Yes you learn to anticipate what the speedlights are going to do and they are small but they also take batteries. I'm new to speedlights so there's still a long part of the learning curve and I've seen lots of lovely work done with them but I find strobes very simple and straightforward to use and understand and to see the light with.

I got stroes first and will take them with me on one larger people shoot next week but then for a single person shoot that will probably end up with me using just one speedlight off camera for either a key or just to fill, then I'll use a speedlight.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Rick ­ Anderson
563 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 10, 2009 09:07 as a reply to  @ Jannie's post |  #22

It comes down to your needs. I shoot dogs. They are easily distracted and have ADD worse than me, so setting up quickly with less intimidating equipment works well most of the time.

Also, I like doing CRAZY stuff. I enjoy taking off with my gear on the weekends and driving to where the road leads me. That is usually a rock formation or an abandoned car or building on private property somewhere between here and deliverance land. Sneaking behind "trespassers will be shot" signs is better done with lightweight and cheap lighting equipment. If I hear banjo music and gotta make a run for it, I can leave my Vivitars and ebay poppers behind. But I'm gonna fight Bubba for my White Lightnings and Pocket Wizards! :lol:

MD ­ Steelerfan
518 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 10, 2009 12:32 |  #23

This argument can go on forever. You use what you have access to and both have advantages and disavantages. I recently shot at 24 locations for a franchise restaurant and they need me to be able to crank out the shoots. No time for studio strobes. I kept my sb-28s on the stands and just hooked them up with Cybersyncs and added softboxes/umbrellas quickly at each location. I was literally up and ready to shoot with 3 light setups in about 5 minutes at each location. That's all I could do with the restaurants being open for business. I couldn't sit there for an hour packing and unpacking equipment in the middle of a lunch rush. Would studio lights have been nice? Yes, but not an option, so I used the strobist kit.

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/brianlandis (external link)

homersapien
350 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 10, 2009 13:56 |  #24

Mobility is critical: speedlights.
Mobility is not critical: studio strobes.

Okay, not that simple, but if you can't make the decision yourself, you're probably better off starting with a couple of studio strobes. You'll get more power for your money that way.

sfaust
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 10, 2009 14:15 |  #25

MD Steelerfan wrote in post #7704769 (external link)
This argument can go on forever. You use what you have access to and both have advantages and disavantages. I recently shot at 24 locations for a franchise restaurant and they need me to be able to crank out the shoots. No time for studio strobes. I kept my sb-28s on the stands and just hooked them up with Cybersyncs and added softboxes/umbrellas quickly at each location. I was literally up and ready to shoot with 3 light setups in about 5 minutes at each location. That's all I could do with the restaurants being open for business. I couldn't sit there for an hour packing and unpacking equipment in the middle of a lunch rush. Would studio lights have been nice? Yes, but not an option, so I used the strobist kit.

And it will go on forever, and has been for some time! ;)

You're absolutely right in suggesting to use whatever one has. Either will do just fine. I have both, use them both. I can set either in about the same time. One is more powerful but heavy, and the other is weaker but very light.

In the end the only real differences I see are power, weight, and lack of readily available modifiers for the hot shoe flashes.

Stephen

Mix of digital still gear, Medium format to M4/3.
Canon EOS Cinema for video.
Commercial Photography (external link)

sponsored links

5,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
Strobist Vs Studio strobes - please help me decide
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.