Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 19:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To much red in 9500pro Prints - Please Help!

sideeffects
760 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 09, 2009 19:05 |  #1

Ok, So I finally thought I had the whole color management thing down, and then a new problem occurs.

My monitor is calibrated using a Spyder II and it's software.
Color Management is turned off in the printer's drivers.
No effects or color sliders are tampered with in the printer drivers.
I am using Photoshop to manage colors and I am using the correct the ICC for my paper.
I am using Ilford Smooth Peal Paper; In the past I have created excellent prints with this paper.

Every image I seem to print has a red color cast to it. the redness is especially noticeable in the highlights of the images. I have tried canon paper as well as Ilford and I am having the same problem with both.

For example in the image below the blueish wall behind the sofa will look almost red in stead of its original color. Also there will be red in places that appear white. Red appears in the skintones, the sofa the carpet, and the male's socks lol.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/3347745542_493aea2819_b.jpg

In the following image the highlight in the upper left hand corner of the wall has a red cast to it, and the skintones look more red than they should.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3436/3369956226_29ddd07f88_b.jpg

I have tried using a hue/saturation adjustment layer and pulling down the red saturation; but its not working. HELP!

Thanks a lot guys, any suggestions and info would be awesomely Awesome!

Canon 5D mkII: 16-35 f-2.8L, 24-70mm f-2.8L, 70-200mm f-2.8L IS, 50mm f-1.4, 85mm f-1.8
Come check out my flickr (external link)
ChaseStanley.com (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)

sponsored links
neumanns
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 09, 2009 19:12 |  #2

I have no guess...Nice shot's, Nice Processing, & the color temp look's pleanty "Cool" on my moniter.

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

sideeffects
THREAD ­ STARTER
760 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 10, 2009 10:08 |  #3

Thanks neumanns,
Anyone have any suggestions?

Canon 5D mkII: 16-35 f-2.8L, 24-70mm f-2.8L, 70-200mm f-2.8L IS, 50mm f-1.4, 85mm f-1.8

Oakey22
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 10, 2009 10:20 |  #4

looks fine on my monitor, you may need to create a custom profile for your printer.

sideeffects
THREAD ­ STARTER
760 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 10, 2009 10:41 |  #5

Yeah, the images look good on my monitor as well its the prints that are red. The thing is I have created prints in the past that did not have a red cast. Should I do the printer maintenance checks or something? The printer is pretty new though....

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 12, 2009 16:27 |  #6

Maybe pop the printer back open and double check that you didn't reverse any of the cartridges like your reds, magenta, photo magenta?

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

iof
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 12, 2009 17:25 |  #7

Have you done a nozzle check and print head alignment from the maintenance tab of the print dialog?

Ron.
5D,20D, D60, Elan 7, Canon stuff from the 70's, Pentax stuff from the 60's, other stuff.

rw2
Goldmember
4,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 13, 2009 14:19 |  #8

I agree to much red.
I'm guessing it is not the printer.
Just a few things to check
Are you using the proper paper profile from both photoshop and the printer dialogue box?
When you say Color Management is turned off in the printer's drivers under the color/intensity you have selected none.
Have you re-calibrated?
Have you tried printing from another program?
Do you use use the color profile aRGB?
I have a PRO 9000 so the print drive dialogue box may be different.
Here I have used a curve adjustment. Using the color space RGB and selecting the red channel.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

If you're afraid of failure ... you'll never succeed!
Rob

Balliolman
Goldmember
4,150 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 13, 2009 14:27 |  #9

Cant comment on the technicalities but your photography is sumptuous!

Balliolman
Stereoshooter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/balliolman/ (external link)

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal
Need: Primes; Would like: Canon 5D;

pixelshooter.net
102 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 24, 2009 08:44 as a reply to  @ Balliolman's post |  #10

OP, I am pretty darn sure you have a faulty cartridge which is actually empty but not reporting the same to the printer. I know because I have faced similar problems.

Run a nozzle check - it'll print rectangular patches of all the 10 colors individually. You'll find one of the patches to be faded/or with no color. That is your faulty cartridge. Of course, that color's nozzle could be blocked as well.

Good luck and do report back.

My Photography Website (external link)

canons900
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 24, 2009 14:42 |  #11

Nozzle issue, cartridge issue, cartridge in the wrong slot. I would think along those lines as well and run the maintenance checks from the printer dialogue, nozzle check and pattern check.

Have you changed carts recently and maybe mixed one up? BTW, excellent images!

Could be corrupt profile or double profile issue between PS and the printer.

sideeffects
THREAD ­ STARTER
760 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 24, 2009 17:29 |  #12

Whoa I didn't realize people were still responding to this post lol. pixelshooter.net you hit it right on the money. My photo cyan cartridge was not registering as empty even though it was completely depleted. I popped a new one in and it fixed everything!

sponsored links

3,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
To much red in 9500pro Prints - Please Help!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.