Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 13 Apr 2009 (Monday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dynamic Stereo pics!!

Cubix ­ Rube
548 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 13, 2009 20:40 |  #1

So,my son in law (Calichef80) and I set up our 20Ds right next to each other on tripods, and took some dynamic stereo pics. Some worked out better than others, but I definitely feel like we're on to something. Let us know what you think!

This is me flipping a roll of paper towels

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3650/3439522815_6710ece100_o.jpg

Here's Chris pouring a beer (Budweiser...YUCK!!)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/3440333102_dce3c37bbd_o.jpg

My nephew, Cody, doing a back flip on the trampoline

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3364/3440333690_355c27dfd4_o.jpg

Upside the head...A place where nothing good ever happens.
My stuff: 5DII, 20D, kit lens, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-300 USM IS, 50 f/1.8, 580 EX, Lumiquest 80/20 flash bounce, a few filters, manfroto tripod with ball head. Pathetic Flickr gallery, (external link)Smugmug site (external link)

sponsored links
Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 13, 2009 20:46 |  #2

Pictures on the right are NOTICEABLY sharper, which is very distracting.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

Balliolman
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 14, 2009 13:51 |  #3

I like the clarity and depth of #1. :) There is a pronounced window violation which is easily correctable.

#2 Nice through the window elements though the arm on the left chip causes a window violation. The stereobase was too wide hence the hyperstereo effect noticeable particularly in viewing the arms. Still looks pretty good. :)

#3 unviewable. If a parallel pair it is too big to freeview.

Balliolman
Stereoshooter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/balliolman/ (external link)

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal
Need: Primes; Would like: Canon 5D;

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 14, 2009 14:52 |  #4

#1 is great! I'm wondering if #3 may be flipped?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

Crazy ­ Horse
215 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 14, 2009 18:42 as a reply to  @ DDCSD's post |  #5

Number 1 was great.

The tree ruined Number 2 for me. It didn't merge.

I didn't get the 3d effect of Number 3.

Thanks for the post!

Canon 40d, 20d / Canon EF-S 10-22mm / Canon EF 24-105 L / Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS / Siggy 30mm 1.4 / Canon Speedlite 580ex II
www.tworollingwheels.c​om (external link)

Cubix ­ Rube
THREAD ­ STARTER
548 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 14, 2009 20:12 |  #6

Thanks for all your comments! I agree that #1 is the best, and while I can get the others to merge, there's definitely something wrong. I must admit that I threw these things together in minutes, and paid little attention to RH/LH placement. The trick with these was to time the shutter clicks exactly with each other. Much easier said than done. Obviously Chris was better at it than I was.
This was our first attempt at stereo shots using two cameras, as opposed to taking a pic, moving the camera and taking another. Now I'm curious to see if there is a tripod head that will hold two cameras at the correct distance, as I recognize the "hyper stereo" effect. That would be very cool.
I don't see the noticeable sharpness difference, however, but will keep that in mind on future experiments...

My stuff: 5DII, 20D, kit lens, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-300 USM IS, 50 f/1.8, 580 EX, Lumiquest 80/20 flash bounce, a few filters, manfroto tripod with ball head. Pathetic Flickr gallery, (external link)Smugmug site (external link)

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 14, 2009 20:39 |  #7

Maybe its a difference in depth of field. The one that had bothered me was the second picture. If you look at his face and shirt in the right one compared to the left, you will see it.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,695 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 14, 2009 20:54 |  #8

Bendel wrote in post #7731711 (external link)
Maybe its a difference in depth of field. The one that had bothered me was the second picture. If you look at his face and shirt in the right one compared to the left, you will see it.

Totally agree .. and in the last 2 images, the trees in the BG are much sharper in the image on the right .. perhaps one of the 20D's was set on a parameter that might be set up differently? I dunno .. jus a guess if it indeed isn't a DOV issue as Bendal mentions .. but the images on the right are far sharper IMHO.

But cool idea .. ;)

jsvphoto
790 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 14, 2009 21:52 |  #9

I think they would be much more interesting if the perspectives were more distinctly different. As it is, they look so similar it's almost as though you've placed the same image with two slightly different crops next to each other...

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 14, 2009 21:57 |  #10

jsvphoto wrote in post #7732137 (external link)
I think they would be much more interesting if the perspectives were more distinctly different. As it is, they look so similar it's almost as though you've placed the same image with two slightly different crops next to each other...

They're meant to be viewed by crossing your eyes. When the images merge, you will be viewing the image in "3D".

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Cubix ­ Rube
THREAD ­ STARTER
548 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 14, 2009 22:53 |  #11

OK...Now that you mention it, there does appear to be a slight (at least to me) difference in sharpness on #'s 2 & 3 from the RH to the LH images. I'd say we can all agree that the 2nd and 3rd ones are problematic on several points, but I still think the 1st one came out pretty well. I'm definitely gonna try more of this. As a matter of fact, I may even ask the guys in our tool room at work to make me an adapter for my tripod that will hold both cameras 4" apart, and at the same height, so I can eliminate camera position as a potential issue.

Stay tuned, we WILL be trying to perfect this!:cool:

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 14, 2009 23:17 |  #12

The third one is definitely flipped (reversed).

Here it is the right way:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

The debris flying up on the tramp is pretty cool. Legs are just a bit off and a little distracting. pretty nice depth, especially the fence and trees.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Balliolman
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 15, 2009 05:17 |  #13

Even if one chip is softer than the other the brain when fusing a stereo tends to concentrate on the sharper image, consequently unless blurring is strong, there is little or no noticeable retinal rivlary when freeviewing.

Balliolman
Stereoshooter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/balliolman/ (external link)

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal
Need: Primes; Would like: Canon 5D;

ImagePree
23 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 16, 2009 13:38 |  #14

#1 is great!
#2 not so much due to the framing, very very hard to keep the view going. In fact, it gave me slight headache.
#3 edited version is also great.

Nice job! I learn something everyday.

sponsored links

2,541 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dynamic Stereo pics!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.