Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 16 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 17:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yosemite National Park next week

>Oxygen<
45 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 16, 2009 17:27 |  #1

I'm heading to San Francisco in a weeks time for 5 days and then heading to Yosemite for 3 full days.
I've see some stunning shots of this national park but it looks like some of the roads may still be closed on my arrival.

Do you have any suggestions on must see spots in the area? Hiking trails?
I'll have a hire care so visiting the surrounding area is also possible.

sponsored links
Kirby
185 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 16, 2009 21:15 |  #2

You'll have to confine any hiking to the valley, as most trails to the perimeter are still closed. Your best bet is to walk the valley floor and pay attention to what you see. Look for alpenglow shots at dusk of Half Dome and of the valley at Valley View turnout.
You can always get the much photographed Tunnel View shot. Wait 'til late in the day to get the rainbow in the mist of Bridalveil Falls. For more info see this site. Have a nice trip.
http://www.nps.gov …nyourvisit/cond​itions.htm (external link)

"It's the photographer's task to explore,photograph and share with others... that which they otherwise might miss" -William Neill

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 17, 2009 17:40 |  #3

If you have time, Highway 49 north is a fun way to spend a day in the old gold mining areas

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 17, 2009 17:44 as a reply to  @ WaltA's post |  #4

Dump SF and just go to the park.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

darkknight1999
182 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 17, 2009 23:13 |  #5

Yosemite is favorite NP so far... its so beautiful there. I was just there 2 weeks ago or so. Its so nice.... Where are you staying? Curry village is nice but under construction.

Also don't forget to take a half day and hike the Muir Woods. You can do a nice 6 mile hike in a few hours. If you hike through and up the Dipsea trail and follow it all the way to the top you can get some great shoots from the trail all the way down into the valley to the ocean. I just had my small point and shoot with me in my pack but I got some nice shots... make sure you bring a UV filter ;) and hope its not to foggy in the bay...

John Ryan
450 XSi gripped; 18-55is; Canon 10-22 uwa; Sigma 18-200is; 50 f1.8 and never enough time...
Next up the 28-135is

>Oxygen<
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 18, 2009 04:09 |  #6

Thanks for the tips everyone... any trails that are best not to miss?

I am staying at Big Creek Inn, just outside Fish Camp so will be entering the park from the Southern entrance on highway 41.

andykee
88 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 23, 2009 18:30 |  #7

>Oxygen< wrote in post #7754543 (external link)
Thanks for the tips everyone... any trails that are best not to miss?

I am staying at Big Creek Inn, just outside Fish Camp so will be entering the park from the Southern entrance on highway 41.

I heard rumors that the Glacier Point Road may be opening this / next weekend. If it is open when you make it out there, be sure to go to Glacier Point. Absolutely incredible views of the valley. It is also worth stopping at Tunnel View. You can't miss it if you're headed in to the valley.

[5D | 17-40/4 | 35/1.4 | 24-70/2.8 | 85/1.8 | 15 fisheye]
website (external link) | blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 23, 2009 18:42 |  #8

Yosemite is a very nice place to take pictures. I'll second the Tunnel View vista, Glacier Point and Bridalveil Falls. You could hike up to Vernal Falls or Even Nevada? Falls for pictures. There are many meadows that you can go to to take pictures of wild life as well as flowers. Just do a quick search on Google/Yahoo or look up Yosemite.com for all the places you can go to. At night, you can take pictures of the Milky Way if you're camping up in the mountains rather than down in the valley.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 24, 2009 05:17 as a reply to  @ Exposure101's post |  #9

I'll be the odd person out and say I don't like the valley floor much any more. Too congested, for one. Kind of ironic when you go to a place like yosemite but inhale doses of diesel fumes from tour busses.

Unfortunately, the places I find the most beautiful, such as tioga pass, probably won't be open until late may or early june. But don't know how much snow they got this year.

Website (external link) |

andykee
88 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 28, 2009 18:03 |  #10

CannedHeat wrote in post #7794001 (external link)
I'll be the odd person out and say I don't like the valley floor much any more. Too congested, for one. Kind of ironic when you go to a place like yosemite but inhale doses of diesel fumes from tour busses.

Unfortunately, the places I find the most beautiful, such as tioga pass, probably won't be open until late may or early june. But don't know how much snow they got this year.

I was there in February (snowshoed from Badger Pass to Glacier Point) and they had a 6-7' base at 8500 ft. There was about 2' of snow in the valley.

[5D | 17-40/4 | 35/1.4 | 24-70/2.8 | 85/1.8 | 15 fisheye]
website (external link) | blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

Sharpstat
323 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 30, 2009 22:56 as a reply to  @ andykee's post |  #11

Thanks for posting this thread. We are planning on going in July there for holiday. Never been but between what you all are saying here and what my co-workers who have been before are saying it should be fun.

V.Sharp

rolex87
425 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 03, 2009 15:53 |  #12

you can hike upper yosemite falls if u have a day to spend and arent afraid of heights, good views down to the valley

Staff Photographer - Ansel Adams Gallery, Yosemite Nat'l Park
www.mikereevesphotogra​phy.com (external link) - enter coupon code "potn" for 15% off!!!
http://www.facebook.co​m …-Photography/3544971237​58 (external link) - Fan Page
My book "Images of Splendor" - http://www.magcloud.co​m …e/issue/805218?​__r=176449 (external link)

joemusic321
218 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 03, 2009 17:30 as a reply to  @ rolex87's post |  #13

You'll be hard pressed to take a bad picture in Yosemite. I was there around Memorial Day in 2006 and the Glacier Point road had just opened. You'll want to see the view from there if the road is open. It's spectacular. And as others have said, Tunnel View is the iconic Yosemite image - ala, Ansel Adams.

My Gear: More than I need, less than I want.

JohnnyEgo
80 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 04, 2009 11:29 |  #14

I went there last November for my honeymoon. It was one of the reasons I bought a DSLR and started coming here for advice. The park is gorgeous, and there are tons of things to do in the valley. Take the free photography tour. It will show you a lot of places to get great pictures that you'd likely never find on your own. I am a beginner with very little knowledge, and I took better pictures then I've ever taken before. This November, I plan on going back with more knowledge and hopefully, the ability to use Photoshop.

IMAGE: http://www.johnnyego.com/photography/yosemite/ys013.jpg

Some more Yosemite pictures here. (external link)

New guy with a camera.
JohnnyEgo.com (external link)

jeffscra
258 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 04, 2009 12:47 |  #15

If Glacier Point road is open, the Taft Point Hike is a relatively easy hike to do with great views.....if it is available.....otherwis​e....I just did the Upper Falls hike a couple weeks ago....great views.....even just half way up.....great views everywhere...

sponsored links

2,972 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yosemite National Park next week
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.