Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 11 Apr 2009 (Saturday) 18:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stellar's Jay

Sockrotter
214 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 17, 2009 10:33 |  #16

Steller's Jays are spectacular. Scarce around here, but I've had one spend the past two winters here. Sadly for me, it left a couple weeks ago; I'm hoping it will return in again October.

5DIII, 5D, & a pair of 40Ds
All of ithttps://photography-on-the.net …p=13741831&post​count=3070

johnathan
575 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 17, 2009 11:03 |  #17

M50D wrote in post #7745368 (external link)
Thanks! Can I bring my cameras?

I appreciate the comment. On the focus, hmm, that's a good question. I use center focus most of the time, or select another single point. It seems to me that it is about the same as the 50D, at least I don't notice any difference. A few weeks ago I took several thousand photos of tribal/cultural dancing where frequently there was a lot of fast movement. I got a lot of good images using AI Servo, but as expected there were a lot out of focus with the telephoto and shallow (f/5.6-f/10) depth of field. For relatively stationary subjects it does well I think, but for faster moving objects it seems to miss a lot. I haven't had the pleasure of using a 1d series camera, so maybe I don't know what I am missing? Most of my wildlife shots are of relatively still animals and birds and the camera focus seems ok for those shots. I have got some decent birds in flight too, but only 10-40% of those are in focus depending on the circumstances.

MD50
Thanks for the info !Appreciate the comparison to the 50D as that is what I shoot these days. I have never tried a 1D body either and am afraid the focus is so much more precise that I wouldn't be satisfied with my 50D anymore.
Cheers !

Johnathan "Thread Cooler"
I'm the "Thread Cooler" ! When I post that usually kills interest in the thread.

Gear / My website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,740 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stellar's Jay
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.