Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
XTremeSLR
435 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2009 06:40 |  #1501

What's with the having to hold down the SELECT button while reviewing images through the LCD? I wish there was a custom function for this. After reviewing over a hundred images my thumb gets really tired. What was the engineering reasoning for this?

www.paulferradas.com (external link)
ferradasphotography.wo​rdpress.com (external link)

sponsored links
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 17, 2009 07:17 |  #1502

XTremeSLR wrote in post #7748419 (external link)
What's with the having to hold down the SELECT button while reviewing images through the LCD? I wish there was a custom function for this. After reviewing over a hundred images my thumb gets really tired. What was the engineering reasoning for this?

I agree, it is a bit of a pain but, it does ensure that you have both hands on the camera, reducing the risk of dropping it! The other benefit of this functionality is that it discourages excessive chimping and there-by extends the battery life at the same time.

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

futura
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 17, 2009 07:26 |  #1503

To be honest, I think navigation usability probably wasn't high on the list when they designed it. Once used to the controls its acceptable but even now like you when curse the camera when scanning though pictures and accidentally de-press the select button.

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #7743055 (external link)
Futura,

Nice shot!

But I'm having trouble spotting the ducks?

Cheers!

Thanks. Rats, I guess this doesn't count as a duck shot :)

Various gear
...and most importantly my left eye!
Website (external link)
Flickr page (external link)
500px (external link)

wernersl
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 17, 2009 08:50 |  #1504

designed to make your thumbs hurt. sadistic bastards!

Shawn l Gear
Mamarazzi Photography (external link)
Wife owns the biz...I just shoot the weddings!

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 17, 2009 09:42 |  #1505

heheheh!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

xubl
59 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 17, 2009 13:13 |  #1506

I just bought a 1Ds II though the big toy is on the way to me. It is <18K actuations, original accessaries, 3 extra batteries, body in great shape except minor scratches on back wheel, according to seller. cost: $2400.
read through this thread, can't wait to get mine!

futura
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 17, 2009 13:21 |  #1507

xubl wrote in post #7750613 (external link)
I just bought a 1Ds II though the big toy is on the way to me. It is <18K actuations, original accessaries, 3 extra batteries, body in great shape except minor scratches on back wheel, according to seller. cost: $2400.
read through this thread, can't wait to get mine!

You'll love it. Despite its ages, the image quality is well up there with the best of them.

Various gear
...and most importantly my left eye!
Website (external link)
Flickr page (external link)
500px (external link)

Philscbx
199 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 18, 2009 03:58 |  #1508

futura wrote in post #7740756 (external link)
I just picked up my copy a last week and my first impressions were I wow.

notice the ducks in the distance so a semi duck shot :D

I'll bet that duck looks great full view on 23" Cinema Display.
Cheers to your find.

1DsMkII, 30D, G5, ZS3 Luv It, Contax, MacPro, MacBookPro
http://farm4.static.fl​ickr.com …76094054_687de5​6f6d_o.jpg (external link)

goose_
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 19, 2009 22:57 |  #1509

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Just moved over from Nikon a few months ago. Still getting used to this camera. (I love it)

AzMandella
133 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 21, 2009 10:36 as a reply to  @ goose_'s post |  #1510

Here's a few from our family trip to San Diego.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon 5D Mk III , 1Ds MkII , 20D , 16-35 f2.8L , 24-70 f2.8L , 70-200 f4L IS , 28-135 IS , 85 1.8 , 2-600 EX II , 2-580EXII , 1-580 EX.

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 21, 2009 10:52 |  #1511

SpurAK wrote in post #7706815 (external link)
I posted that I was looking to buy a 1DsM2 on the FM Buy & Sell forum and in the first day I had five people respond. The responses ranges from about $2,200 to $2,600 depending on clicks and body shape.

Its a great way to find gear. I've bought basically all my gear used here or on FM, but I'm always a little l hesitant to post a WTB for lenses though as I fear I might get a lemon lens that someone has been thinking of ditching, but didn't have the heart to actually list it in the B/S. ;)

Gear List

Michael

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 21, 2009 10:54 |  #1512

goose_ wrote in post #7764814 (external link)
Just moved over from Nikon a few months ago. Still getting used to this camera. (I love it)

Great shot.

Gear List

Michael

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 21, 2009 10:55 as a reply to  @ goose_'s post |  #1513

Great photograph, Goose.

I am eying this camera because it's FF (suits my lenses) and has weathersealing and good AF. However, as a used one is exactly the same price as a new 5D mark II, I am unsure what I would want.

On one hand, the 1Ds 2 is already 5 years old, but that doesn't mean it's bad-- it just means that the newest one I can get would be 3 years of age, and exterior conditions might not be perfect. No issue with that, though. What I care about is the better AF, built (my 400D has duct tape all over, eyecup has a cut in it, rubber thumb-rest popped out etc) and weathersealing. File sizes won't be as big as the 5D2 so my 3 year old computer can still take it.

On the other hand, the 5D2 is the latest camera that is proven to be better at high ISOs which is important for me as I shoot in low light very very often. It also has 21mp which can be a blessing and a curse, because my computers lag with 21mp JPGs, but I can cram so much detail that it's awesome when I crop and print medium-size. The fact that I have to buy a separate battery grip turns me off, because I know I can't shoot without it, and that would increase the price even more.

To me, the 5Dmk2 will expand my ability to shoot (ISO6400) while the 1Ds2 will up the standard of how I shoot (AF, not getting scared of getting the camera wet to get a great photo etc).

I mainly shoot events and stage performances, many of which are low-light ISO1600 ƒ/2.8 1/60 and below without flash. I also shoot quite a lot of portraits, but either camera will be decent enough for that. Besides, I'm all for the strobist kind of portraiture.

Any help here would be good.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,894 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 21, 2009 13:30 |  #1514

Headshotzx wrote in post #7774414 (external link)
Great photograph, Goose.

I am eying this camera because it's FF (suits my lenses) and has weathersealing and good AF. However, as a used one is exactly the same price as a new 5D mark II, I am unsure what I would want.

On one hand, the 1Ds 2 is already 5 years old, but that doesn't mean it's bad-- it just means that the newest one I can get would be 3 years of age, and exterior conditions might not be perfect. No issue with that, though. What I care about is the better AF, built (my 400D has duct tape all over, eyecup has a cut in it, rubber thumb-rest popped out etc) and weathersealing. File sizes won't be as big as the 5D2 so my 3 year old computer can still take it.

On the other hand, the 5D2 is the latest camera that is proven to be better at high ISOs which is important for me as I shoot in low light very very often. It also has 21mp which can be a blessing and a curse, because my computers lag with 21mp JPGs, but I can cram so much detail that it's awesome when I crop and print medium-size. The fact that I have to buy a separate battery grip turns me off, because I know I can't shoot without it, and that would increase the price even more.

To me, the 5Dmk2 will expand my ability to shoot (ISO6400) while the 1Ds2 will up the standard of how I shoot (AF, not getting scared of getting the camera wet to get a great photo etc).

I mainly shoot events and stage performances, many of which are low-light ISO1600 ƒ/2.8 1/60 and below without flash. I also shoot quite a lot of portraits, but either camera will be decent enough for that. Besides, I'm all for the strobist kind of portraiture.

Any help here would be good.

1DsIII

after 2 years, hehehe :lol:;)

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

prinspaul
475 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2009 14:16 |  #1515

^^omg...that would be awesome;) but you can shoot with the 1Ds MKII for many years to come...

Use RAW when you shoot at ISO 1600 tho... I know the noise reduction on the 5d MKII is great, but I've heard some people saying the difference aren't that huge in RAW?

sponsored links

1,366,809 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.