Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Apr 2009 (Wednesday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Lens Help

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 08, 2009 18:37 |  #1

I got my first L lens last week, a 70-200 F4 and I have now caught the L bug. Previously I have just had 2 Sigma kit type lenses (35-70 and 70-300 non APO). They weren't getting it done for me anymore so I had to get something new. I'm in highschool so I had to work through my whole spring break to be able to afford the 70-200. Now that I have discovered what I have been missing, I need more.

Like I said, I am in highschool, so cost is a big issue. When I say big issue, I'm saying much over $1,000 is too expensive. I have some stuff that I can sell, and I'm willing to save for a month or two, I just need to have a goal to shoot for which is why I've come for help. As far as what I currently have, I have an XT with the 70-200 and the Sigma 35-70, which will be sold if I get something to cover that range. The 70-300 is already sold.

What I shoot: Pretty much anything. I like shooting sports the most, which is why I got the 70-200. Landscapes are fun, but I don't want to be stuck with an extremely wide lens like a 10-22, although I want that lens pretty badly. Really though, I want something that's a well rounded lens.

I am looking for something that will cover up the low range, but will also either get close, or overlap the 70-200 some. Constant aperture is a must and lower is better, but I know that I have already said cost is important.

Oh, and I know that this is asking for advice about a lens, but quite honestly I might want to violate my own rule. I know that it is well established that it is glass before bodies, but a xxD series camera is EXTREMELY appealing. I'm sick of the tiny fairly useless LCD, the low max ISO capabilities (along with the abilitiy to really use the high ISO), the lack of spot metering, the focus points, and the small viewfinder (I wear glasses). So I'm curious if maybe this would be the better path while I just stick with my current glass.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

sponsored links
KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,378 posts
Gallery: 562 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2009 19:01 |  #2

If I were you, I'd look for say, a EOS-30D used..great intro to the xxD world at a $250-400 buyin depending on condition....I love mine, gets the job done, the rear LCD still stinks but even the 50D's screen while bright and beautiful isnt very accurate when it comes to judging exposure and that (Learn to read a histogram, it works more reliably)

I use ISO1600 on mine and it works great! (Not as reliably as a 40/50D though...ISO800 is the highest "Safe" ISO I use, 1600 for emergencies/i dont care)

For lenses...well lets see

I'd say...look at something like the Canon 24-105 f/4L IS, its not terribly expensive, pretty good, but not very wide on a crop camera..

Next option, Tamron 28-75, its not an L, but its pretty damn good none the less

Another option is the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS, great GREAT lens, it would fit well under the 70-200, its also fairly affordable used, and it works pretty good for a lot of things..

I had one and sold it because personally I desired more on the long end of the lens than the short...also its not the best for subject isolation in my opinion...

If you wanted to be budget-conscious, the Tamron 17-50 is a great sharp zoom, and its less than half of a used 17-55 NEW...so its a great option, but lacks the image stabilization of the Canon...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Bendel
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 08, 2009 20:36 |  #3

I have thought about the 30d, but I will be going to college next year and am fully expecting to be fully broke throughout. I'm just not sure if it will be enough to last me 5 years of college.

The 24-105 is one lens that I have been interested in. I'm not quite sure if the f4 is enough for a general walk around, since that will also include some indoor pictures. It does have IS though, that is one of my top contenders.

Another option I currently have, but is less fun I guess you could say, is to upgrade all of my accessory type stuff. I want a 1.4 extender, a 430ex flash, tripod mount ring for the 70-200, and a monopod. Those are all very tempting, but I really feel the need to replace my sigma lens. And of course, the body is always appealing.

I have decided I need to win the lottery, it is the only logical way to fund all of my needs(ok wants, but I definitely feel like I need).

Brandon

madspartus
164 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 08, 2009 20:47 as a reply to  @ Bendel's post |  #4

I started with a 17-85 IS. I wouldnt say it was a mistake, but two weeks later I found a 24-105 for $800 canadian in mint condition with Hoya Pro1 UV included, so that settled that problem. Considering the L bug got you though, and your price situation, I think the best value you will find that will still give acceptable quality is tamron 17-50. Preety fast and will work well with your 70-200. Another option is sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro. I was looking for it before I found the 24-105. I havnt found 24 minimum to be too limiting, but I am thinking of a tamron again to go with a second camera (both me and my gf shoot, and sharing one body isnt working :P)

1d MKiin, 2x XTi /w grips, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 200mm f/2.8L II, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, 430EX, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4X TC

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,378 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2009 20:50 |  #5

The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 would be a good choice too..

And the glass is your real investment, but the 30D is a big step up from the XT

I'm only ditching mine when the replacement for the 50D comes out, I'm a gadget freak and the reason I'm swapping would be to get a larger buffer because i do continuous shooting a LOT

the 40D is another excellent choice of course..

Bendel
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 08, 2009 21:59 |  #6

So it seems my options in the $1,000 range are panning out to be:
A. 40D This one is so appealing, I wish I could justify it. Everything I know is telling me I should just buy glass, but...ugh. This would leave me with only a 70-200, because I would probably sell the Sigma.
B. 24-105 L I like the L because it covers a broad range which is nice for a walk around. I currently bottom out at 28mm so it's not like it will be crippling not having a wide lens. Eventually I plan to get a canon 10-22 or sigma 10-20 anyways.
C. 30D + non L lens Economically the smart choice. Worried about the 30d not having some of the newer features that I really like. I also understand that I did not exactly have professional quality Sigma lens, but that has definitely made me second guess non-Canon brands.

Brandon

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,378 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2009 22:07 |  #7

Bendel wrote in post #7695047 (external link)
So it seems my options in the $1,000 range are panning out to be:
A. 40D This one is so appealing, I wish I could justify it. Everything I know is telling me I should just buy glass, but...ugh. This would leave me with only a 70-200, because I would probably sell the Sigma.
B. 24-105 L I like the L because it covers a broad range which is nice for a walk around. I currently bottom out at 28mm so it's not like it will be crippling not having a wide lens. Eventually I plan to get a canon 10-22 or sigma 10-20 anyways.
C. 30D + non L lens Economically the smart choice. Worried about the 30d not having some of the newer features that I really like. I also understand that I did not exactly have professional quality Sigma lens, but that has definitely made me second guess non-Canon brands.

Theres a pretty good difference between Sigma and Canon glass

I've had lenses from Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Canon and Nikon...I've had good and bad in all of them pretty much...

What do you worry about missing in the 30D specifically? I can provide samples of what its capable of :)

Bendel
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 08, 2009 22:21 |  #8

Well, I shoot a lot of sports and from what I have read, the 40D has a big improvement in autofocusing capabilities over the 30D as well as handling higher ISO.

Live view is extremely tempting. Since I wear glasses I can never trust myself trying to focus manually. Along those lines, the 40D also has a little more magnifcation in the viewfinder.

The only other benefits I see are the larger LCD, which has the same pixel count so I'm not sure if that really is any better, and the higher megapixels which I don't really care about.

To be honest, when I lay them out like that, it doesn't really seem all that bad. The first two are the big ones, followed by live view which is interesting. I didn't actually realize that my Rebel is a full year older than the 30D. I thought they were released in about the same time frame, which slightly pushed me away.

Brandon

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,378 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 18, 2009 19:18 |  #9

Bendel wrote in post #7695147 (external link)
Well, I shoot a lot of sports and from what I have read, the 40D has a big improvement in autofocusing capabilities over the 30D as well as handling higher ISO.

Live view is extremely tempting. Since I wear glasses I can never trust myself trying to focus manually. Along those lines, the 40D also has a little more magnifcation in the viewfinder.

The only other benefits I see are the larger LCD, which has the same pixel count so I'm not sure if that really is any better, and the higher megapixels which I don't really care about.

To be honest, when I lay them out like that, it doesn't really seem all that bad. The first two are the big ones, followed by live view which is interesting. I didn't actually realize that my Rebel is a full year older than the 30D. I thought they were released in about the same time frame, which slightly pushed me away.

Ah sorry for the late reply

The AF in the 40D is better, the 30D is not bad however..as for higher ISO, that as well is in the 40D, However I do regularly use my 30D at ISO800 or so

The larger LCD is really..eh..its not really any better than the 30D from what i saw in a store..its bigger, thats about it

Live view is helpful..but not a necessity...

I cant speak about manually focusing on the 30D with glasses, I do fine, but my vision isnt -that- terrible yet...

But I'll also honestly say the reasons you just stated are why I'm looking to upgrade my 30D...

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 18, 2009 19:42 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #10

Forget about bodies. Get that 24-105...

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

Bendel
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 18, 2009 21:38 |  #11

KenjiS wrote in post #7757677 (external link)
Ah sorry for the late reply

The AF in the 40D is better, the 30D is not bad however..as for higher ISO, that as well is in the 40D, However I do regularly use my 30D at ISO800 or so

The larger LCD is really..eh..its not really any better than the 30D from what i saw in a store..its bigger, thats about it

Live view is helpful..but not a necessity...

I cant speak about manually focusing on the 30D with glasses, I do fine, but my vision isnt -that- terrible yet...

But I'll also honestly say the reasons you just stated are why I'm looking to upgrade my 30D...

Don't worry about it. At this point I'll take any opinions I can get. The main thing that is driving me at this point after shooting some sports this spring is auto focus. The 70-200 is soooo smooth and the focus is sharp where its pointed, but I often feel that with my XT I miss a lot. And with ai servo and a subject that is moving towards me it feels like it can't keep up and I often get blurry pictures, even more so with continuos drive mode.

Besides the focus problems, I am still in high school so I still take pictures of high school sports. Inconveniently they always start pretty late and it just gets way too dark. High ISO on the XT is ridiculous, which leads me more to the 40D than the 30D.

Spacemunkie wrote in post #7757802 (external link)
Forget about bodies. Get that 24-105...

This was my initial thinking, but as I kind of covered above, I am noticing more problems with my body than glass. I currently pretty much take pictures of sports and some portraits of my nephews, which my 70-200 does perfectly, especially now that I got a 1.4x extender.

I do have a 28-70 Sigma lens and I just picked up a brand new 18-55 IS for $50 today. I feel like even though the quality isn't great, what I use them for doesn't really demand much more. I enjoy shooting sports more, so I don't think the need is there for a nicer walk around lens.

So, as of now I have cycled through from 24-105, 30D, and now I am at the 40D. Where I'll end up in a few weeks when I have the cash to get what I want, who knows. Thanks for the help though, feel free to provide more help to complicate my decision. ;)

Brandon

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,378 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 18, 2009 22:06 |  #12

Bendel wrote in post #7758376 (external link)
Don't worry about it. At this point I'll take any opinions I can get. The main thing that is driving me at this point after shooting some sports this spring is auto focus. The 70-200 is soooo smooth and the focus is sharp where its pointed, but I often feel that with my XT I miss a lot. And with ai servo and a subject that is moving towards me it feels like it can't keep up and I often get blurry pictures, even more so with continuos drive mode.

Besides the focus problems, I am still in high school so I still take pictures of high school sports. Inconveniently they always start pretty late and it just gets way too dark. High ISO on the XT is ridiculous, which leads me more to the 40D than the 30D.

Well if you want a new body, Why not consider searching for a decent 1D Mark II?

It would be maybe $1000-1400 for a good one with a battery, and you get the BEST AF system around..

you and i sound like we're similar though, So I take back my recommendation for the 30D..it IS a great camera dont get me wrong but I think you'd end up equally dissatisfied with it

Personally, my complaints are the AF system [I just wish it WAS that little bit better] High ISO noise performance [800 is pretty good, but it could be better, and I'd love to have an improved 1600 and a usable 3200 if possible..) the buffer (9 shots then you drop to 1fps!) and the rear screen [Just love it to be a bit better in the sun thats all..]

So I'm currently thinking of waiting for the replacement of the 50D....its a long torturous wait, but supposedly the 60D will be getting a 13-point AF system

It might be worth it to you to think of doing the same..

Bendel
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 18, 2009 22:09 |  #13

Why, why do you do this to me?

Brandon

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,378 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 18, 2009 22:13 |  #14

Bendel wrote in post #7758540 (external link)
Why, why do you do this to me?

Uhm..sorry?

Bendel
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 18, 2009 22:15 |  #15

Ha, sorry. I was kidding...just saying. Talk me down to a cheaper camera, then partially convince me to get a more expensive one, then throw the idea out of a more expensive one.

Brandon

sponsored links

2,437 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Lens Help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.