Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 18:01
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Muslin or paper for high and low key shots"
Muslin Black
20%
Muslin White
20%
Seamless Paper Black
30%
Seamless Paper White
30%

14 voters, 20 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paper or Muslin?

BscPhoto
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2009 18:01 |  #1

When shooting high or low key shots, do you prefer paper or muslin backdrops? I'm currently in the process of stocking my new studio with the essentials and I currently only have black and white muslins and only red seamless paper. I'm thinking about getting a role of #1 whit paper for a job I have coming up.
Lets hear it

•MEGAPIXELS are OVERRATED•

BSCphoto.com (external link)
Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links
eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 19, 2009 22:24 |  #2

BscPhoto wrote in post #7763013 (external link)
When shooting high or low key shots, do you prefer paper or muslin backdrops? I'm currently in the process of stocking my new studio with the essentials and I currently only have black and white muslins and only red seamless paper. I'm thinking about getting a role of #1 whit paper for a job I have coming up.
Lets hear it

The preference for most (myself included) is thunder gray for studio, since it is middle ground between black and white you can blow the heck (if you have the output) out of it to make it go high key or control your lighting (flags, grids, etc.) and make it go black (it all depends on the space you have of course).

Ideally you can have 1 roll of black, 1 roll of white and 1 roll of another color too, but in a budget I would go with gray if you have the gear to blow it to go high key and the grids and flags + space to make it go low key.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 19, 2009 23:39 |  #3

If you have a permanent studio it is generally accepted that paper is a better backdrop material because you don't have to worry about creases or scuffing or soiling being difficult to deal with. It can be a bit tiresome transporting rolls of paper whereever you go, however. They're heavy! So if you need portability, then go with muslin

BscPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2009 23:57 as a reply to  @ nuffi's post |  #4

I don't normally do run of the mill shoots, I prefer to use white and black prospectively. I have a gray muslin that I've never used. I was mainly curious if anyone had a really good argument for muslins or against paper that I'm missing.
The studio is permanent so I'm planning on constructing a backdrop rack to hold what ever rolls I get.

BscPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 20, 2009 00:10 |  #5

eduardofrances wrote in post #7764617 (external link)
The preference for most (myself included) is thunder gray for studio, since it is middle ground between black and white you can blow the heck (if you have the output) out of it to make it go high key or control your lighting (flags, grids, etc.) and make it go black (it all depends on the space you have of course).

Ideally you can have 1 roll of black, 1 roll of white and 1 roll of another color too, but in a budget I would go with gray if you have the gear to blow it to go high key and the grids and flags + space to make it go low key.

Which # gray paper would you suggest?

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 20, 2009 11:00 |  #6

BscPhoto wrote in post #7765190 (external link)
Which # gray paper would you suggest?

Savage #27 Thunder Gray
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …7_x_12yds_Backg​round.html (external link)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,754 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 20, 2009 11:14 as a reply to  @ shooterman's post |  #7

For me high key white seamless low key dark gray muslin...

Michael_Lambert
-ColdMember-
2,426 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 20, 2009 11:28 |  #8

For High Key i like my super white paper lite with my 580exII and for low key so far i dont mind the jetblack paper.. however find it alittle reflective and turns out kind of greyish in some areas... I am hoping to try some black felt this weekend.

My Canon Gear
Michael Lambert Photography (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,754 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 20, 2009 11:32 |  #9

Michael_Lambert wrote in post #7767639 (external link)
For High Key i like my super white paper lite with my 580exII and for low key so far i dont mind the jetblack paper.. however find it alittle reflective and turns out kind of greyish in some areas... I am hoping to try some black felt this weekend.

Michael for low try moving your subject out from the BG and use a modifier like a soft box in CLOSE and make sure light doesn't spill on the BG.

Michael_Lambert
-ColdMember-
2,426 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 20, 2009 11:36 |  #10

airfrogusmc wrote in post #7767674 (external link)
Michael for low try moving your subject out from the BG and use a modifier like a soft box in CLOSE and make sure light doesn't spill on the BG.

Thanks,

I have had some success removing my softbox its the huge one from Alienbees and just using the metal oval reflector that it came with.. I am looking to get a beauty dish which should make it easier or a smaller softbox with a grid.

My Canon Gear
Michael Lambert Photography (external link)

sponsored links

1,634 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paper or Muslin?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.