Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Apr 2009 (Saturday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need "newbie" advice

aesthetictears
58 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 18, 2009 23:23 |  #1

Hey guys, very new to the forums, and needing some advice. I have been trying to decide on my first DSLR to purchase, and am coming up with more questions than answers. I guess I just need a push to the right direction. I currently own a Canon g2 EOS film camera and am wanting MORE. There are so many DSLRs to choose from, and I just don't know what's the right fit for me. I have two small boys, who will be the main focus for the camera, and have been told that an image stabilizing lens would be well suited for me. I have read up on the upcoming t1i, and it sounds enticing, but the price is a little steep for me, but not impossible. I guess my question is do I take the jump now, or go ahead and buy the cheaper rebels out there and just buy the lens I want... Any suggestions for a newbie?

Kat
Proud Navy Wife
Canon 20D and Canon Rebel G2
18-55IS, 55-250IS, 50mm 1.8

sponsored links
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Apr 19, 2009 13:18 |  #2

If I was just starting out right now I think I would look to a used 30D, possible a 40D. They can be had from 500-600.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 19, 2009 14:19 |  #3

Agree with rkeppler. I'm a relative 'noob' as well. People here kindly steered me toward a 30D (which was a gem!) purchased used. Also, the advice here was to buy a couple/few lenses that would cover a lot of ground.

Full cash outlay for really nice, (completely used gear, in excellent condition) was around $1500. Not meant to scare you, but a 30D and three lenses for that kind of money was a great place for me to learn on.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 19, 2009 15:38 |  #4

used XT...$200-250
used Canon 18-55mm IS...$100
used Canon 50mm/1.8 mkII...$75
used Canon 55-250mm IS...$225
That's $600-650 for a complete system...+ accessaries like CF cards ($10 for 2gb to 4gb cards)
if that's still too much consider this lens, now available on Ebay for $75
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=663199
That's a total of $500 for body + 3 lenses
If you're willing to spend more, do the 30D (that's $200 to $350 more for it and the more expensive Canon telezoom)
If you decide to upgrade to the 30-50D someday, you may very well want to keep the XT for travelin'...if you decide to sell it you won't lose much of your $200...

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

rnoldh
36 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 19, 2009 20:59 as a reply to  @ kitacanon's post |  #5

I'm a newbie too and I got a new XSI for Xmas.

Even though I haven't learned the XSI really well, I'm thinking of upgrading to a 40D. I don't know if that's silly, or I've caught the bug:D

B.Miller
802 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 19, 2009 21:19 |  #6

rnoldh wrote in post #7764121 (external link)
I'm a newbie too and I got a new XSI for Xmas.

Even though I haven't learned the XSI really well, I'm thinking of upgrading to a 40D. I don't know if that's silly, or I've caught the bug:D

i will be upgrading and using my XS as a backup here soon myself

pilka214
42 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 19, 2009 21:25 as a reply to  @ B.Miller's post |  #7

i started with an XT, and found it to be a great learning camera, so an XS or XSi are great...

currently have a 40d and i love the build, it's heavier and larger than the XSi but i think it makes me feel like i'm more in control. also it has those nice ups over the XSi... better autofocus and such.

go to a local camera shop and feel them out and see what feels best too... you want to look into what your gonna be the most comfortable to carry with you.

40d, Canon EF 28-135 USM, Canon EF 75-300, Tokina 12-24

PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 19, 2009 21:30 |  #8

I upgraded from the G9 to the 40D, and I am happy I did. There is quite a learning curve, I bought a couple of books that helped me find all the functions, though. Whatever you decide, look into refurbished through Adorama or B&H at a great price and offer more confidence than either used, or new-due to their overhaul process.

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

HelenOster
That's me!
4,587 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 20, 2009 13:48 |  #9

Message from Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

PicBug wrote in post #7764301 (external link)
I upgraded from the G9 to the 40D, and I am happy I did. There is quite a learning curve, I bought a couple of books that helped me find all the functions, though. Whatever you decide, look into refurbished through Adorama or B&H at a great price and offer more confidence than either used, or new-due to their overhaul process.

BTW all Refurbished / recertified products from Adorama come with a 90 day return-to-Adorama warranty; 14 days from date of receipt for a full refund, and the balance for repair or replacement. They have all been restored to the exact manufacturer specifications by the original manufacturer.

If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me, directly.

[FONT=Verdana]Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacam​era.com
www.adorama.com (external link)

aesthetictears
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 20, 2009 18:34 |  #10

For those of you that have bought from Adorama, I am curious how everything has turned out. I am very nervous about buying anything online, as silly as that sounds, but the price cost difference is amazing... Anyone had any problems? I guess I'm weary of dropping $500 to a refurbished item...

Kat
Proud Navy Wife

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 20, 2009 18:47 |  #11

aesthetictears wrote in post #7770298 (external link)
For those of you that have bought from Adorama, I am curious how everything has turned out. I am very nervous about buying anything online, as silly as that sounds, but the price cost difference is amazing... Anyone had any problems? I guess I'm weary of dropping $500 to a refurbished item...

There are many here who have bought at Adorama. It's a brick and mortar store of extremely high reputation in New York City and by internet across the country and around the world. I've read good things about their reconditioned items in this Forum.

B&H Photo is the same kind of shop here in the city, with the same superb world-wide reputation. They also sell reconditioned gear. I have friends in Capetown and Istanbul who will only buy from B&H.

Just remember there are levels of reconditioned which will be used to describe each item...excellent, good, etc. Other members here will explain the differences. I would have complete faith in what Adorama or B&H sell, and if that's a problem, at least in their return policies.

I've only bought new from both of them, but have never had an issue with a return if the item wasn't what I thought it would be or was damaged.

Do a Search here on reconditioned equipment to get more feedback, but I think it's a real money-saving way to go.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

aesthetictears
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 20, 2009 18:51 |  #12

But with price cuts like that, it opens up a world of possibilities for me!! There is so much push for the 20,30,40D series, and I guess I don't understand why? Although, I've done a whole lot more research on the rebel series than anything else, simply because I thought it was all I was able to afford right now...

Kat
Proud Navy Wife

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2009 07:31 |  #13

aesthetictears wrote in post #7770379 (external link)
But with price cuts like that, it opens up a world of possibilities for me!! There is so much push for the 20,30,40D series, and I guess I don't understand why? Although, I've done a whole lot more research on the rebel series than anything else, simply because I thought it was all I was able to afford right now...

Yes, Adorama is quite reputable. So is B&H, and Calumet. I have bought from all of those over the years. New, used, and refurbished. Never been dissatisfied. If there is a problem they always fix it.

Get a Rebel series if you want one. The push by members here for the 20/30/40D is because they are all superior products to most of the Rebel's and they are bargain prices. We are just looking out for you. But some people prefer the Rebel series. That's up to you. Go to a Best Buy store or some place that carries a Rebel and a 40/or 50D. Hold them and mess around with them a little. See which feels better to you. They will all take good pictures if used right.

Another hint. If you use an online store, CALL to place the order. I learned the hard way ordering a lens on the web only to find out that it was out of stock and the website wasn't updated yet that particular day.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 21, 2009 08:08 |  #14

aesthetictears wrote in post #7770379 (external link)

I'll try to answer this as well. And again, the folks here were kind enough to steer me toward buying a used 30D. Good move and very glad I did. Here's why:

Was in a Best Buy while my son was picking out a video game. Decided to pick up and handle a Rebel series camera for the first time. To me, the rebel felt plastic and cheap. Also noticed significantly fewer features, controls, access to stuff readily available on the 30D.

My initial reaction was Rebel probably provides similar functionality to a point-and-shoot, but has the ability to accept nice Canon lenses and produce great pics. On the other hand, the 30D is a rock solid (near) professional camera loaded with features at your fingertips that you need and will use.

Lastly, learning the 30D was a snap after reading the 30D book you can find at any Borders book store. I'm so glad I listened to the people here and went the 30D route. It was the perfect learning tool for me and a great launch pad to the 50D I recently purchased.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Al ­ Mac
24 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 27, 2009 13:00 |  #15

On the other hand, you shouldn't feel like you can't take great photos with a Rebel. That's nuts. If you don't know why you need a 30D+, the extra money is probably not well spent buying one. If you think you're buying better picture quality on everyday shots of family and trips by stepping up from a Rebel to a 30D, that's not true either. The Rebel is going to do just as well in most cases. You'd be better off, in terms of picture quality, taking the extra money in your budget and pumping it into an upgrade lens or two than feeling like you have to go the 30D+ route.

Image Stabilized lenses are well worth getting. That is an upgrade cost that will lead to better photos.

sponsored links

1,451 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need "newbie" advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.