Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 08:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Very Long!! Need Opinions.

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 19, 2009 00:21 |  #91

jenirose3 wrote in post #7757045 (external link)
You are right Limber. I fully admit I started this problem (I went against my number one rule) and I'm kicking myself for it.

There is a 40% chance of rain by 2pm. The party starts at 1pm. There is a 70% of rain starting at 8pm. I won't be lying when I tell her I don't take my equipment out in the rain!! Because I don't take my equipment on in the rain. WOOT WOOT!

Please don't take this wrong, but you're being really weird about this. Just be direct and honest with the person. It's not that hard. If they get irrationally mad at you because you won't work for free, then they get irrationally mad at you. It's not that big of a deal.

You're dealing with this situation like you're 14. You can't run a business if you're not willing to communicate with people like an adult. You aren't saving yourself or your neighbor any grief by lieing to them.

Ryan McGinnis
The BIG Storm Picture (external link) PGP: 0x65115E4C
Follow my storm chasing adventures! (external link)
Images@Getty (external link) Images@Alamy (external link)

sponsored links
kosin
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 19, 2009 10:14 |  #92

Probably she is saying to herself that this is the last time she is doing it for free...

I also don't like the way how it turned out to be but look at the bright side though. There will be much more people that will like her work and are willing to pay for pictures. If she is going to say NO, the neighbor will talk BS about Jeni and her work and nobody will consider her for future arrangements. Going there is the chance to impress others or remind them what she does...

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

LimberlostPhtgrhy
89 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 19, 2009 10:41 |  #93

No, now the other neighbors will love her work and will want it for free too. The cycle will never end.

jenirose3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,268 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 19, 2009 15:48 |  #94

chakalakasp wrote in post #7759212 (external link)
Please don't take this wrong, but you're being really weird about this. Just be direct and honest with the person. It's not that hard. If they get irrationally mad at you because you won't work for free, then they get irrationally mad at you. It's not that big of a deal.

You're dealing with this situation like you're 14. You can't run a business if you're not willing to communicate with people like an adult. You aren't saving yourself or your neighbor any grief by lieing to them.

I not being weird. She is extremely pushy and direct AND my neighbor. I have to live next door to her. I really don't relish the thought of socializing with the neighbors on our block including them and having this huge white elephant in the room. I realize it was my fault I started this by agreeing to do the first session for free. But she took from that that I was now her free lifetime photographer. I can't lie so I would be faced with the truth and no matter what I said she would of taken it wrong and it would be blown up.

You can bet it won't ever happen again.

I went to the party. I didn't bring my camera. I really didn't want to lug it around while I tried to enjoy myself as a guest. I told her let me know when the cake shots are about to happen and I would go get my camera. I went to get my camera and her cousin (who has a photography business) pulls out his D700 and steps right in front of me. I was more than happy to step aside. She came up to me later and said she was mad because she just asked him about giving her the pictures and he said "some come out and some don't". I was like oh well. Thankfully that's over.

Thanks so much for everyone's support and advice. I really appreciate this place so much. My non-photographer husband's eyes start to glaze over when I ask him about stuff like this. I really appreciate all of the wisdom and advice here so much!

Jeni
Canon 5D|20D|L Glass|Primes|ABs|580ex​II|pocketwizards
Looking for: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
http://www.lolaandme.c​om (external link), http://www.provocateur​photography.com (external link), http://www.modelmayhem​.com/provocateurphotog​raphy (external link)

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 19, 2009 16:45 |  #95

jenirose3 wrote in post #7762295 (external link)
I not being weird. She is extremely pushy and direct AND my neighbor. I have to live next door to her. I really don't relish the thought of socializing with the neighbors on our block including them and having this huge white elephant in the room. I realize it was my fault I started this by agreeing to do the first session for free. But she took from that that I was now her free lifetime photographer. I can't lie so I would be faced with the truth and no matter what I said she would of taken it wrong and it would be blown up.

You can bet it won't ever happen again.

I went to the party. I didn't bring my camera. I really didn't want to lug it around while I tried to enjoy myself as a guest. I told her let me know when the cake shots are about to happen and I would go get my camera. I went to get my camera and her cousin (who has a photography business) pulls out his D700 and steps right in front of me. I was more than happy to step aside. She came up to me later and said she was mad because she just asked him about giving her the pictures and he said "some come out and some don't". I was like oh well. Thankfully that's over.

Thanks so much for everyone's support and advice. I really appreciate this place so much. My non-photographer husband's eyes start to glaze over when I ask him about stuff like this. I really appreciate all of the wisdom and advice here so much!

Hi Jeni

Based on everything you have 'reported' about this it does (seeing the above paragraph) look like you worked it as best you could [not withstanding the fact that your angst over this should never have happened ~ but you have been beating yourself enough about the origins of that, so enough said!]

But what I take as the best "news" about the event is her cousin stepping up to the mark before you went and got your camera. IMO the best thing that could have happened......the reason I say that is that for all future questions about your camera and the quality you produce (he gave her the brush off & better form a relative than you :lol: ) you will be will be well placed to say "thats how I earn my living and here is my price list........" afterall if she wants a pro she & any other 'neighbours' should expect to pay for it every time. Oh and avoid falling into the trap of taking the P&S and supplying Wal-Mart pics! Why, because that will not be your pro quality and you IMIO should never drop your standards just to be helpful.

Best of luck

:)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 19, 2009 17:43 |  #96

jenirose3 wrote in post #7762295 (external link)

BECAUSE she is your neighbor you need to be open and honest with her. I don't get people who think they're doing anyone favors by being dishonest with their reasons for not wanting to do something. A lie is a lie is a lie. If you plant your relationship with your neighbor in a soil of lies, it's unlikely to bear much fruit. The people who I really care about are the people who I *most* want to be straightforward and honest with.

You either have to forgive and forget or you have to communicate and resolve. If you do neither, whether out of weakness or out of passive agression, you probably won't like where you end up.

I went to the party. I didn't bring my camera. I really didn't want to lug it around while I tried to enjoy myself as a guest.

Can you hear yourself trying to talk yourself into believeing something you don't believe? You're revising history. You didn't bring it because you didn't want to take pictures.

I told her let me know when the cake shots are about to happen and I would go get my camera. I went to get my camera

You see? This is the problem. You aren't allowing yourself to have a spine. You don't want to do something, you do it anyway but reserve the right to be upset with the person you're doing it for. You are offended by something, you aren't willing to talk to the other person about it, but you reserve the right to remain offended by it. This isn't the way to living a happy life. It's our natural inclination, true -- but I'll say it again: you either have to let things go or try to work them out. Covering the problems up with falsehoods won't get you anywhere.

Ryan McGinnis

jenirose3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,268 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 19, 2009 19:02 |  #97

Ok Ryan I'll let you come here and live next to her for a month and then we'll talk. I'd be willing to bet she'll have you doing something for free for her and you won't even realize it.;)

Jeni
http://www.lolaandme.c​om (external link), http://www.provocateur​photography.com (external link), http://www.modelmayhem​.com/provocateurphotog​raphy (external link)

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 19, 2009 19:08 |  #98

The neat thing about living by principles is that they apply to every situation. :)

Ryan McGinnis

jenirose3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,268 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 20, 2009 09:15 |  #99

I live by principles. Not that I care that you don't think I do. But I also care about people. I thought I was doing something nice. It won't happen again.

Jeni

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 20, 2009 10:48 |  #100

jenirose3 wrote in post #7766882 (external link)
I live by principles. Not that I care that you don't think I do. But I also care about people. I thought I was doing something nice. It won't happen again.

We're kinda going in circles on this one, but I guess I'll just say what I said again -- especially when you care about people, you treat them with honesty. Sometimes this means lovingly telling them difficult things. When you hold back from honesty, make things up, do the things you don't want to do, and continue to harbor angry feelings in your heart (and post about it again and again to an international forum on the internet), you are not being caring, you're being passive-aggressive.

Anyhow, I wish you the best.

Ryan McGinnis

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 20, 2009 13:53 |  #101

Some people just don't like to sound like a dick when they talk to their neighbor face to face. She is living by principles; she was being kind to someone. This isn't about her caving in to the pressure, I am the same way, sometimes you just don't want to seem like a greedy prick who only wants money. I know she has her own business and everything, but that doesn't really change who you are as a person.

I can completely understand how you got yourself into this situation, even though you guided yourself in to this predicament, it really isn't your fault.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 20, 2009 15:13 |  #102

Bendel wrote in post #7768715 (external link)
Some people just don't like to sound like a dick when they talk to their neighbor face to face. She is living by principles; she was being kind to someone. This isn't about her caving in to the pressure, I am the same way, sometimes you just don't want to seem like a greedy prick who only wants money. I know she has her own business and everything, but that doesn't really change who you are as a person.

I can completely understand how you got yourself into this situation, even though you guided yourself in to this predicament, it really isn't your fault.

I'm not advocating that she "sound like a dick". It is possible to be honest and respectful at the same time, even when you're frustrated or upset with someone. I dunno, I tend to be a strong believer in people communicating with each other. When you don't, you end up with situations like this, where one person doesn't realize they're offending the other, and the other turns to an international forum of strangers to vent. Somehow I don't think that's how our grandparents would have handled it.

Ryan McGinnis

sponsored links

9,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
Very Long!! Need Opinions.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.