Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Mar 2009 (Monday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sending my 40d in?

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,309 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 24, 2009 11:14 |  #16

subnet_rx wrote in post #7587201 (external link)
Anyone know how long it takes minus shipping? I basically have the month of April to get this piece of dust off.

the cleaning takes probably one day plus the time in transit in/out. It will cost about $20 two day.

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

sponsored links
subnet_rx
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 07, 2009 21:39 |  #17

I finally called about this today. Fill out a form on the site, wrap it up without lens or battery, send it in. The only surprise was, they could not give me a price. They basically said that when they get the camera, they will give me an estimate on what it will take to clean it. Is this normal?

My Bonsai Blog (external link)

subnet_rx
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 08, 2009 10:33 |  #18

Well, I guess it's kind of encouraging that so few people send their cameras in to get them cleaned that I'm having problems nailing down how much it will cost.

subnet_rx
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 20, 2009 17:56 |  #19

Unfortunately, it appears that some of the previous estimates were a bit off. A standard cleaning at Canon? $214.00! I basically just wasted money shipping it to the factory because I won't pay that to get it cleaned.

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 20, 2009 18:05 as a reply to  @ subnet_rx's post |  #20

There had to be A LOT more than a sensor cleaning for that amount. What did they itemize?

-F

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

Project22a
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 20, 2009 18:21 |  #21

$214? That doesn't sound right at all.

B&W film shooter gone digital.

subnet_rx
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 20, 2009 19:11 |  #22

I put in the description that I wanted the camera cleaned. That was the estimate they gave. Here is what they put in the itemization:

COMPLETE SYSTEM CHECK AND CLEAN/ MINIMUM LABOR RATE, INCLUDES MINOR PARTS

For parts, it says $0. For labor for cleaning, it says $180. Then taxes are added on.

There was nothing wrong with the camera as you can see from the photos in this thread, so I fully expected $30-$50 for the cleaning and then shipping back.

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 20, 2009 19:14 |  #23

That's insane!

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

subnet_rx
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 20, 2009 20:30 |  #24

I guess I'll be calling tomorrow to make sure they understood what I wanted. From the moment I called the price wasn't very clear. I said I needed a sensor clean, he told me where to send it and how to send it. I asked about a price, he said they would give an estimate when it arrived. Now I just wasted $20 because I couldn't get an estimate on cleaning beforehand. If it was free before, who thought it would be $200+ after?

subnet_rx
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 20, 2009 20:46 |  #25

So, I went ahead and called and apparently the charging for cleaning is so new that some of the reps doesn't even know it exists. The first rep said the cost was right, but said the repair center would know more. I asked to be transferred to the repair center. The second rep said they no longer offered just cleaning and said the cost was right. Apparently, someone was standing next to the person, because the second rep then said, I've just been told we do offer cleaning only without system calibration. We will revise your total and send a new estimate.

barqy
72 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 20, 2009 21:27 |  #26

subnet_rx wrote in post #7771125 (external link)
So, I went ahead and called and apparently the charging for cleaning is so new that some of the reps doesn't even know it exists. The first rep said the cost was right, but said the repair center would know more. I asked to be transferred to the repair center. The second rep said they no longer offered just cleaning and said the cost was right. Apparently, someone was standing next to the person, because the second rep then said, I've just been told we do offer cleaning only without system calibration. We will revise your total and send a new estimate.

wow still sounds a bit unreasonable, canon needs to inform their reprs properly!

on a side note, if the camera was still under warranty, do you still have to pay for shipping (to canon)?

probably yes?

cheers

subnet_rx
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 20, 2009 22:22 |  #27

It's not under warranty, ran out last month. I have to pay for shipping to and from. I'm not sure if there was some kind of communication issue or what, but I wish they just had a standard cleaning fee that they could give anyone over the phone to clean the sensor. If the third rep hadn't have stepped in, I would have paid to have my camera sent back and wasted $40 with a sensor that was still dirty. At this point, I'm just glad we got it worked out. I would have walked away from this experience very frustrated.

It looks like the original quote was to basically refurbish the camera.

subnet_rx
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 21, 2009 13:40 |  #28

Ok, sorry, final update just to set everything straight. I got a new estimate today that was $30, plus tax, plus shipping/handling for a total of $53. Items listed were sensor cleaning and firmware update.

subnet_rx
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 28, 2009 18:31 |  #29

I'm about to lose it. Just got the camera back and it will not take photos anymore. Error 99. I called Canon, they recommended to ship it back. I'm not going to have the camera for the event that I bought the camera for....my wedding and honeymoon. This has been a terrible experience from the start.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 28, 2009 18:56 |  #30

Which Canon shop did you send it to? This whole story is so pathetic. For the cost of the Copperhill kit you could clean every digital sensor your going to own in the next ten years and it takes 10 minutes. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links

3,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sending my 40d in?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.