Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 07:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 APO HSM - need help/ advice please!

fidelis
425 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 21, 2009 07:14 |  #1

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 APO HSM & the one with DG in the title? I thought DG stood for digital?? I've been looking at the APO HSM version & wondering if I'd have any problems using it with my Canon 40D? I know some older Sigma lenses can bring up the err message after a little while of using them unless you get them chipped, so I wanted to check as I've seen one for about £300 & thought I may buy it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

sponsored links
Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 21, 2009 07:20 |  #2

* 70-200mm F2.8 EX APO - Original version, minimum focus distance 1.8m (1999)
* 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG - Adds 'digitally optimized' lens coatings to reduce flare (2005)
* 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro (HSM) - Minimum focus distance reduced to 1m (2006)
* 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II - Improved optical performance (2007)

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

fidelis
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 21, 2009 07:47 |  #3

Ok thanks for that but I'm still slightly confused as the lens I've been looking at is labelled as 70-200mm 2.8 APO HSM but there's no DG stamped on the lens itself please see photo. If anyone could confirm which version this is I'd be grateful, the guy who's selling it says its a Sigma APO 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 21, 2009 07:49 |  #4

I would bet if it doesn't say DG it isn't and is therefore the oldest version of this lens.

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2009 07:57 |  #5

I may be wrong but I recall hearing that the HSM version had some issues so they came out with the HSM II.

Same for the 50-150. I think anything Sigma comes out with a II version you can guess that the version 1 is to be avoided ;-)a

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

fidelis
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 21, 2009 08:06 |  #6

I'm thinking it's not the DG version too as originally advertised, but whats throwing me is the HSM, was the HSM motor present on the oldest model?

skule123
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 21, 2009 08:27 as a reply to  @ fidelis's post |  #7

I'd have to check mine at home (just picked this up for a great price), but I think the version I have is APO EX HSM. The barrel grip on the picture looks a lot like mine, which is different than the finer grip on the Macro model. Never seen the DG non-Macro one in person, though.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rohit_saxena (external link)

skule123
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 21, 2009 08:28 as a reply to  @ skule123's post |  #8

I'm pretty happy with my copy, though, although I know there's a lot of people who will write off anything Sigma out of hand.

fidelis
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 21, 2009 09:03 |  #9

Sorry this one is the APO EX HSM, so probably is the same as yours ( i forgot to put the EX bit in, the EX label is further round the barrel, which you can't see in the photo). So would you guys definately say this is the older version then, as it's definately not the DG version is it, as it would be marked as so???

skule123
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 21, 2009 10:04 as a reply to  @ fidelis's post |  #10

I'd say you are looking at the old version, the same one that I own. I got mine for a great price and it takes pretty good pictures, if your price isn't too far off from the newer models then you may want to factor that into your decision. But if the price break is good enough, my experience with the lens is to say "go for it".

SnoDork
270 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 21, 2009 11:09 |  #11

i picked up a well used Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX HSM...same as the one pictured and its a great lens for the price.

its sharp & focuses fast...i benched a 75-300mm III so it was a nice upgrade for me.

If the price is right and sample pictures pass your approval...go for it!

Le Gear

fidelis
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 22, 2009 04:57 |  #12

Ok thanks everyone for your help & advice it's been very much appreciated! I'm certain that the lens I was talking about was the older version afterall!

MyCatsAnnoyingMe
137 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 22, 2009 08:09 |  #13

I bought 3 of the II versions, everyone had FF issues in some fashion. I'm off these lenses. Bought the Canon non IS version, perfect.

JMTC... ;-)a

Canon 1D MKII : Canon 40D
100-400mm 4.5-5.6 IS L USM, 24-70 2.8 L USM, 85mm 1.8 USM, 50mm 1.4 USM
Lensbaby Composer
580EX II, 430EX

drewandersonphoto
162 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 22, 2009 17:19 |  #14

I just purchased a Version II from B&H and it had FF issues. Luckily Sigmas repar center is located down the street from me so I took it in for repair instead of trying my luck with returning for a new one that would be messed up also. So we'll see if it comes back to me sharp!

Phoenix Arizona Wedding Photographer

sponsored links

1,695 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 APO HSM - need help/ advice please!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.