Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Apr 2009 (Wednesday) 06:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

wide angle lens what one to get ?

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2009 15:25 |  #16

What scenery are you shooting that a 10mm on a crop can't get all in ?

On a side note. I used mine, as a the-great-outdoors lens, for the first time, last weekend to get an entire skyline in from accross the river in one frame. Came out absolute crap. Somewhere, very far away, there is a skyline :-)

I'm going back to stitching vertical shots, zoomed in somewhat closer, for THAT shot. The 10-22 goes back to it's intended use.... foreground, backround relationships and deep DOF.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
OC ­ Photoguy
245 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 22, 2009 16:17 |  #17

He might be referring to full-frame @ 24 vs crop on the 10-22. Just a hunch.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 40D, Canon G7
Canon 50mm f/1.4, 17-40mm f/4 L
[COLOR=blue]Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS,

dc5itr888
214 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 22, 2009 16:58 |  #18

OC has it nailed down

However i can relate to your skyline shot at 10 mm. When i shot my hometown skyline of chicago at adler planetarium which pretty much gets in everything... The sears tower now called the willis tower is a specticle...never less it was not a keeper as i wanted a more zoom in look but wanted to get all the other buildings and light poles by the lake shore jogging and recreational areas so my only chance of accomplishing that was stiching shots for panoramic

Canon 5d with 24-105mm and a Canon 28-135mm which stays in the bag all the time. Canon 50mm F1.4 PRIME
Canon 400d with Canon 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 (wannabe L lens), 18-55 EL Cheapo lens

dank ­ ink
383 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:17 |  #19

Peleng 8mm!

No but really, from what I've seen, the Tokina seems to be a good buy. The peleng I have is fun and all, but being that its only manual focus, it's a bit more work than I would like sometimes. Trying to focus manually when things are that wide in the viewfinder is tougher than I thought it would be. If I were you, I'd go for the Tokina.

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 22, 2009 17:17 |  #20

r1ch wrote in post #7782567 (external link)
Another reason to get the Tokina is compatability. It will work on a FF camera that you may purchase in the future. You would crop out what you don't want. The Canon limits you to only a crop sensor camera. Always look to how you might use your lens in the future, the Canon cannot be used on a 5d but the Tokina or the Sigma (I believe) work on a FF and at the 15-16mm angles does not even have black vignette.

I feel that this is VERY bad advice.

Buy what you can use NOW. Lenses generally hold value quite well, and can be sold to fund lens upgrades IF you go full frame.
Had I listened to similar advice, I never would have gotten my 10-22, and would have the Sigma 12-24, missing out on the extra 2mm on the wide end. At the start, I was planning on going FF with my next camera (and was waiting, like everyone else, for the 5D mkII). As of right now, I do not see myself upgrading to FF for at least 2 years (although, that falls under the category of "The best laid plans of mice and men..."). 3 years is a lot to go without 10mm as I am practically always there.

OP: Everyone has a favorite UWA. The Tokina 11-16, Sigma 10-20, and Canon 10-22 all perform very well. They also offer a little something different (from focal length, to aperture, to price). Find the one that fits best for you, and go for it.

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:27 |  #21

bjyoder wrote in post #7783753 (external link)
I feel that this is VERY bad advice.

Buy what you can use NOW. Lenses generally hold value quite well, and can be sold to fund lens upgrades IF you go full frame.
Had I listened to similar advice, I never would have gotten my 10-22, and would have the Sigma 12-24, missing out on the extra 2mm on the wide end. At the start, I was planning on going FF with my next camera (and was waiting, like everyone else, for the 5D mkII). As of right now, I do not see myself upgrading to FF for at least 2 years (although, that falls under the category of "The best laid plans of mice and men..."). 3 years is a lot to go without 10mm as I am practically always there.

OP: Everyone has a favorite UWA. The Tokina 11-16, Sigma 10-20, and Canon 10-22 all perform very well. They also offer a little something different (from focal length, to aperture, to price). Find the one that fits best for you, and go for it.

The Sigma 12-24 DG EX HSM is a MUCH BETTER LENS THAN the Canon EF-S 10-22mm.

The Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is better still. Sharper (corner-to-corner baby!!!), faster, and built better.

I love my Sigma 12-24, but have rented the Tokina 11-16 and its on my MUST OWN list.

Having just rented the Tokina 10-17 Fisheye Zoom as well. I have to say that these two lenses from Tokina are both MUST OWNs. They both offer unique capabilities paired with rock solid build quality and fair pricing.

The Canon isn't the fastest, isn't the sharpest, and isn't the best built. Why fawn over the over-priced ALSO-RAN?!?!? I don't get it. I am a Canon zealot, but this lens just doesn't deserve the reputation it has. And its overpriced at the same time.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

Skonk
147 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 22, 2009 17:31 |  #22

I have the Sigma 10-20mm and it's been a good lens the few times I've used it.

But due to me not having the oportunity to use it very often I have just put it for sale on eBay.

I kinda hope it doesn't sell because I dont really want to get rid of it, but I desperatly need the money at the moment and it's the least used lens I have :(

Canon EOS 40D | 1000D
MP-E 65mm | EF 100-400mm L | EF-S 18-55mm IS | Sigma 105mm Macro | EF 50mm f/1.8
MT-24 EX | 580EX II | Kenko Tube Set 12-20-36 | BG-E2N Battery Grip
Full Gear List

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:37 |  #23

If you feel you MUST have a 10mm UWA on crop, look into the new Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 DC EX HSM. Its not as fast as the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, but it offers more range while still offering a fixed maximum aperature of f/3.5.

The Canon should not be on your shopping list IMHO.

I'd say my order of preference would be (for 1.6x Crop bodies),

1. Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
2. Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 DC EX HSM
3. Tokina 12-24 f/4 ProDX II
4. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG EX HSM
5. Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 DC EX HSM
6. Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5
7. Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

socalfreebordin
80 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:38 |  #24

that shot is freakin epic

Canon Rebel xti, 580 ex II, Tamron 28-80, canon 50mm f1.8, hoya uv filter
http://s170.photobucke​t.com …ew¤t=IMG_​1808-1.jpg (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:41 |  #25

dank ink wrote in post #7783752 (external link)
Peleng 8mm!

No but really, from what I've seen, the Tokina seems to be a good buy. The peleng I have is fun and all, but being that its only manual focus, it's a bit more work than I would like sometimes. Trying to focus manually when things are that wide in the viewfinder is tougher than I thought it would be. If I were you, I'd go for the Tokina.

Do what I do, pre-set it to f/8, close down the iris, and set the focus distance to right in front of your subject (if you have a subject in the foreground). @ f/8 the DOF is GINORMOUS!!!. I get most of my best shots with focus set at either 0,7m (if theres something inside of 3 ft. from me) or at about 1/3 of the way between 1m and 2m marks if there is something about 3-5 ft. away. The shot in my PBase of Yankee Stadium... was set at the 1/3 past 1m setting @ f/11 if memory serves... handheld HDR.

@ f/11 its almost impossible for something NOT to be in the DOF. (about 1 ft. in front of the focus - WAY past infinity... when set at 1/3 past 1m mark.)

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 22, 2009 17:48 |  #26

nureality wrote in post #7783806 (external link)
The Sigma 12-24 DG EX HSM is a MUCH BETTER LENS THAN the Canon EF-S 10-22mm.

The Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is better still. Sharper (corner-to-corner baby!!!), faster, and built better.

I love my Sigma 12-24, but have rented the Tokina 11-16 and its on my MUST OWN list.

Having just rented the Tokina 10-17 Fisheye Zoom as well. I have to say that these two lenses from Tokina are both MUST OWNs. They both offer unique capabilities paired with rock solid build quality and fair pricing.

The Canon isn't the fastest, isn't the sharpest, and isn't the best built. Why fawn over the over-priced ALSO-RAN?!?!? I don't get it. I am a Canon zealot, but this lens just doesn't deserve the reputation it has. And its overpriced at the same time.

In the lab, the Canon doesn't wow, but get it out into the real world where you actually take your pictures, it has some better charictaristics (flare, distortion) than the Sigma and much more range than the Tokina.

It is still one of the best lenses I have used for IQ (and has impressed a few pros I shoot with).

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

1,940 views & 0 likes for this thread
wide angle lens what one to get ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.