Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Apr 2009 (Monday) 06:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Picture Styles in DPP

jimmyfingers
193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 20, 2009 06:59 |  #1

Hi,

I've just started using DPP just to see what it can do as I normally just use Aperture, and have a quick question for you. I usually just shoot in RAW but noticed a RAW setting in DPP that allows you to change the picture setting to lansdscape, portrait etc. I leave my picture setting as neutral on the camera, but in DPP if you change it to landscape it adds sharpness and boosts the colour. That's what I don't understand: the on-camera setting of landscape just adds 4 points of sharpness, but on DPP the colour is also boosted even though I can't see any of the other setting sliders change. Does anyone know how DPP is improving the colour as I can't see any settings other than sharpness changing?

Panasonic GF1 + 20mm 1.7

sponsored links
arkphotos
455 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 20, 2009 07:13 |  #2

If you shoot raw, I think the picture style settings are doing the same thing - regardless of whether you set from camera or use DPP to change them.

Canon also has a 'picture style editor' that may let you see more details.

1.6 crop & some lenses

jimmyfingers
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 20, 2009 07:33 as a reply to  @ arkphotos's post |  #3

I'll have to give the Picture Style Editor a go to see if it sheds more light on it. The colour is a little flat when I open up the Neutral image in DPP, but as soon as I select Landscape in the picture styles the colour becomes more saturated as well as the sharpness being added.

Panasonic GF1 + 20mm 1.7

KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 20, 2009 14:24 as a reply to  @ jimmyfingers's post |  #4

The picture styles in DPP and on camera are not in sync. You can adjust the camera files to match the DPP ones, or the DPP ones to match the camera.

If you shoot raw, it does not matter what you set on camera, if you shoot jpeg your stuck with the results of the on camera settings.

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

arkphotos
455 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 20, 2009 17:09 |  #5

Thats interesting.
I always assumed the DPP/Picture style jpeg conversion would be pretty much the same as the in-camera (unless I adjusted something).

Always learning something here ...

1.6 crop & some lenses

Westx
139 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 20, 2009 20:17 as a reply to  @ arkphotos's post |  #6

Jimmy DPP pictures styles are set up to do lots of different things to you shots other than what the camera is set to do. Don't know why they did it that way. On page 25 of the DPP manual it tells you what each does.

jimmyfingers
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2009 02:06 |  #7

Westx wrote in post #7770916 (external link)
Jimmy DPP pictures styles are set up to do lots of different things to you shots other than what the camera is set to do. Don't know why they did it that way. On page 25 of the DPP manual it tells you what each does.

Yes I notice in the manual that the blues and greens will be boosted a little in the Landscape setting. I was just wondering why none of the other sliders moved to show this colour boost. After closer look though I've noticed the red and green 'peeks' in the histogram on the 'RGB' tab do look longer when this puicture style is selected. So I guess it is making changes under the hood.

Panasonic GF1 + 20mm 1.7

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 21, 2009 02:57 |  #8

Canon doesn't reveal much the interior workflow of DPP, but my guess is that the Picture Styles are done in the tone curve / gamma correction stage by applying separate curves to each channel and varying them slightly to emphasize different colors. The additional changes you call for with the sliders would be a later stage.

Elie / אלי

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 23, 2009 13:24 |  #9

The standard, portrait and landscape picture styles use a more contrasty tone curve. The landscape mode also boosts the blue and green color channels. The neutral and faithful picture styles use a flatter tone curve with less contrast and less color saturation across color channels.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

sponsored links

1,274 views & 0 likes for this thread
Picture Styles in DPP
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.