Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 22:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D II LP-E6 Number of shots

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 23, 2009 22:10 |  #1

I am utterly amazed at this new battery. Right now I am at 41% remaining capacity with a shutter count of 1,072! I was concerned at about 60% remaining so I turned off chimping and only did moderate chimping after that. Also, no video has been taken on this battery charge either.

So what are the rest of you getting?

sponsored links
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 23, 2009 22:14 |  #2

Yeah, I can get around 1k shots without really worrying about it. Pretty cool, I really like the new battery system on these cameras, so much nicer than the x0D cameras that involved a little more guesswork.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 23, 2009 22:30 |  #3

It is your collective opinion that the BG-E6 might be a bit of overkill? I have the 5D2 on order. Was considering the dual battery grip since I like it on the 5D but if this battery is going to go 1000 shots easily, then apparently little need for what I shoot.
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

rikaro
153 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 24, 2009 00:13 as a reply to  @ john-in-japan's post |  #4

Do you guys use video at all? What kind of battery life I'm looking at if I'm doing all recording?

Matt Kwok
http://www.matt-kwok.com/blog (external link)

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 24, 2009 02:37 |  #5

I took nearly 2,000 images one day and judging by the battery meter might have made it to about 2,500 images on one charge (single battery, no grip.) I had image review turned off, and only reviewed a few images on the screen. I am pleased how well it can do.

I have only shot a few short clips of video so I don't know exactly how long the battery will last doing that. I have used live view a few times, and it really eats up the battery charge fast.

Flickr (external link)

Metalstrm
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 24, 2009 03:01 |  #6

Darn, you guys amaze me. I can only get ~450 shots out of my battery. And I only chimp moderately. The current charge might actually make it into the 600s, but 2500 :o

Kristian D'Amato

http://www.krisdamato.​com (external link) - just my flickr at the moment.

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 24, 2009 07:38 |  #7

I never have brought it to its max. I have shot over 1k and had like 65% left, that is with recording small videoclips and very little chimping...

My Flickr (external link)
My Gear
My Zenfolio (external link)

waple
79 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 24, 2009 07:54 |  #8

overclock wrote in post #7792396 (external link)
I am utterly amazed at this new battery. Right now I am at 41% remaining capacity with a shutter count of 1,072! I was concerned at about 60% remaining so I turned off chimping and only did moderate chimping after that. Also, no video has been taken on this battery charge either.

So what are the rest of you getting?

What's "chimping"? My 5DmII will be here any minute now. Can't wait!

www.M3imagery.com (external link)
www.M3afterhours.com (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 24, 2009 08:08 |  #9

waple wrote in post #7794581 (external link)
What's "chimping"?

Basically it's reviewing your photos on the LCD.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 24, 2009 08:24 |  #10

waple wrote in post #7794581 (external link)
What's "chimping"? My 5DmII will be here any minute now. Can't wait!

...battery GRIP. I use the grip a lot, balances and steadies the whole use of the camera and lenses, attachment of the hand strap, etc.. Ok, extra weight, but I've been using one for years and don't think about it. Taken it off a few times and it just didn't feel right, felt like too little to hold on to. YMMV :D

Chimping, there are whole video clips on it. Google ChimpPt1.mov and ChimpPt2.mov

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,779 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 24, 2009 17:51 as a reply to  @ John_T's post |  #11

I find myself using Live View constantly on the tripod, back to my days viewing a groundglass with 4x5 and medium format...except this is better. Because I've got Live View on nearly throughout the session, the extra battery power is useful.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 24, 2009 19:51 |  #12

Using IS extensively eats up some life, and chimping eats up more.

I haven't taken it to the limit, but I shot around 375 images at an event last week, and still had 65% battery power left. This included about 1/3 of those shots using an IS lens.

I think it'll go over 1000 in normal use.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

4rgentum
67 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 24, 2009 20:13 |  #13

rikaro wrote in post #7793229 (external link)
Do you guys use video at all? What kind of battery life I'm looking at if I'm doing all recording?

I've shot video all night and filled up a 16gb card with just vids at full res and still had a little under 20% battery left over

5DII //30D
canon 15mm Fisheye //16-35L //50 1.4 //85 1.8 //200 2.8L
3 EF-500 DG Supers //2 AB800s

rfreschner
ishka bibble
2,576 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 24, 2009 20:24 |  #14

john-in-japan wrote in post #7792535 (external link)
It is your collective opinion that the BG-E6 might be a bit of overkill? I have the 5D2 on order. Was considering the dual battery grip since I like it on the 5D but if this battery is going to go 1000 shots easily, then apparently little need for what I shoot.
John

I'm with John_T on this one. I could care less about the extra battery in the grip, but having the vertical controls and the balance with the larger lenses is key. Of course, I don't have any lenses the size of that beast in his image! ;)

Rick
"We both can't be wrong; I must be right"
Bob Welch
Gear List

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 24, 2009 22:31 |  #15

I think having the "review time" set to "off" stretches the battery life a lot. About 2 or 3times I have extensively used live view for landscape shots and the battery ran down much faster than when the screen was barely used. So I think how much time the screen is on probably accounts for the difference in how many images different people are getting, although maybe batteries vary some.

I have a new third party battery now for a spare, and shot just under 1,000 images with it last weekend at Yellowstone. I don't know how much life the battery has left since it doesn't show on the camera. After about 500 images (rough guess) I did notice the top screen showed zero for the battery life. I was trying to figure why it didn't last as long as usual, then I remembered which battery I was using and figure out it must not communicate that information with the camera body. It probably reads zero even after a fresh charge, but I didn't notice it when I first installed it and so far I haven't recharged it for the second time.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D II LP-E6 Number of shots
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.