Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Apr 2009 (Saturday) 09:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 17-50 for weddings

laydros
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 25, 2009 09:49 |  #1

This may be a dumb question....

I know the 24-70 is the bread and butter for wedding photogs. I'm shooting my first wedding (free for family) in a month, but hope to start shooting some weddings for pay after that. Since I'm shooting a 40D, the 18ish to 55ish range is going to fill a gap similar to the 24-70. I currently have the 18-55IS, which is ok, but I would like to have more speed and a bit better IQ. The Canon 17-55IS would be ideal, but I can't put the money into it right now. I'm thinking about the Tamron 17-50 + Canon 85/1.8. I am expecting most wedding work would be with those two, the nifty fifty or 70-210 USM might see a little action.

But what about the AF in the Tamron 17-50? I finally tried one out yesterday and it was very loud. Sounded like RoboCop or something. And I have read that it doesn't focus very well in low light. Those two things make me wonder about using it during a service with low light, and noise a no-no. Is it not really that loud, and I was just paying too much attention? Would I be better off with a Canon 28/1.8 or the Sigma 30/1.4? Seems like a zoom would be worthwhile for weddings.

Edit: I guess the other lens I am considering is the 17-40L. I know it's more for FF, but should do a lot of what I want.

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX
Nikon FE, 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 and Mamiya C220 Complete Gear List.

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 25, 2009 11:37 |  #2

Hope you have time before this wedding to get any new lens and practice. How about renting a lens? I hope you realize that to do weddings (for pay) you need a min. of 2 bodies, 2 flashes, 3-5 lenses and an assistant. Not to mention lots of experience. Are your friends also hiring another photographer? I hope so. Will take a lot of pressure off of you. 17-40/4 will be kinda slow for non-flash pictures. Does the church allow flash during the service? Most do not.

GEAR LIST

SBPhoto
295 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 25, 2009 12:02 |  #3

Completely agree with gasrocks comments, Photographing weddings is serious work with no room for errors, experience, back up and the right gear is escential. You don't get a second chance, get it wrong and they can sue you!

SBPhoto 1DXII 1DX 1D MK1V
1D MKIII IDs MKIII:lol:

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 25, 2009 12:10 |  #4

They have another photographer, also non-professional, shooting. She is getting paid a little, like a couple hundred dollars, and I'm shooting for free. It also means she has the pressure to get good shots, I don't. She said she would be happy for me to be there too, I'm not just barging in.

The idea behind this is for me to get practice, and hopefully some portfolio shots. No real pressure, and if I get some good shots, it is good for the couple too. They already agreed that I could use shots I take for portfolio.

I'm trying to work towards the position that I could do some weddings for pay in the near future. I'm also going to try to work with the guy that shot my wedding as an assistant some this year to get a little more experience.

At this point I do have 2 bodies and a 430EX. I don't think any of the lenses I have right now will do much good for weddings, except the 50 in some cases.

I have thought about renting lenses for this, but if there are some useful lenses that I may use in the long run, and don't cost so much, I'd rather go ahead and buy. I'm pretty set on picking up the 85/1.8 soon. I like that range for pictures of people, and I've read nothing but good reviews about it.

At any rate, I know I'm not ready, gear or capability wise, to shoot weddings professionally, but this is a step on the way. My concern is that I will be disappointed with the low-light AF and the loud AF motor on the Tamron 17-50. Otherwise it is close to perfect for my needs.

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 25, 2009 12:27 |  #5

laydros wrote in post #7801185 (external link)
This may be a dumb question....

I know the 24-70 is the bread and butter for wedding photogs. I'm shooting my first wedding (free for family) in a month, but hope to start shooting some weddings for pay after that. Since I'm shooting a 40D, the 18ish to 55ish range is going to fill a gap similar to the 24-70. I currently have the 18-55IS, which is ok, but I would like to have more speed and a bit better IQ. The Canon 17-55IS would be ideal, but I can't put the money into it right now. I'm thinking about the Tamron 17-50 + Canon 85/1.8. I am expecting most wedding work would be with those two, the nifty fifty or 70-210 USM might see a little action.

But what about the AF in the Tamron 17-50? I finally tried one out yesterday and it was very loud. Sounded like RoboCop or something. And I have read that it doesn't focus very well in low light. Those two things make me wonder about using it during a service with low light, and noise a no-no. Is it not really that loud, and I was just paying too much attention? Would I be better off with a Canon 28/1.8 or the Sigma 30/1.4? Seems like a zoom would be worthwhile for weddings.

Edit: I guess the other lens I am considering is the 17-40L. I know it's more for FF, but should do a lot of what I want.

Since the first one's free AND for family AND you aren't really even the photographer, use the equipment you already have to the best of your ability. SKIP the Tamron 17-50 and save straight away for the 17-55. Offer zero promises and don't let them con you into a contract. Contracts mean obligations.

I invested huge into my first wedding and it didn't make a lick of difference. I could have gotten the same results with the kit lens.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 25, 2009 13:09 |  #6

cdifoto wrote in post #7801732 (external link)
Since the first one's free AND for family AND you aren't really even the photographer, use the equipment you already have to the best of your ability. SKIP the Tamron 17-50 and save straight away for the 17-55. Offer zero promises and don't let them con you into a contract. Contracts mean obligations.

I invested huge into my first wedding and it didn't make a lick of difference. I could have gotten the same results with the kit lens.

I think your right. I'll probably still try to get that 85, it should be a big benefit to my lineup.

Still kinda curious if anyone has any input on AF noise. Are these non-USM lenses really noticeable during a wedding, or other quiet event? Thanks for any input on that.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 25, 2009 13:12 |  #7

laydros wrote in post #7801883 (external link)
Still kinda curious if anyone has any input on AF noise. Are these non-USM lenses really noticeable during a wedding, or other quiet event? Thanks for any input on that.

If the Tamron is anything like the Tokina 12-24, nobody will notice the noise except you. Your CLACK CLACK CLACK will be distracting if anything is.

As far as AF reliability/accuracy, I have no idea.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

superstes
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 25, 2009 13:16 |  #8

cdifoto wrote in post #7801732 (external link)
save straight away for the 17-55.

I keep hearing that the 24-70 is the wedding lens, but keep seeing people recommend the 17-55.

It would be great to know if the 17-55 has the edge and why, or it's a personal preference.

Thanks

Steve

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 25, 2009 13:17 |  #9

superstes wrote in post #7801925 (external link)
I keep hearing that the 24-70 is the wedding lens, but keep seeing people recommend the 17-55.

It would be great to know if the 17-55 has the edge and why, or it's a personal preference.

Thanks

Steve

24-70 for full frame/1.3x

17-55 for 1.6x.

superstes
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 25, 2009 13:20 |  #10

Thank you

jrscls
Goldmember
3,081 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 25, 2009 17:43 |  #11

If I only had one lens for weddings on a 1.6 crop, it would be the 17-55 f2.8 IS. Keep the 18-55 IS kit lens for backup or when you don't need the fast aperture.

Sony A7 III, 20mm f/1.8 G, 35mm f/1.4 GM, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG DN A, 105mm F/2.8 DG DN Macro A, 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS C, Flashpoint flashes

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 25, 2009 20:12 |  #12

It's funny coming from Sony. For one thing, there wasn't an f/2.8 in the crop normal range offered by Sony, but because the body had both the AF motor and IS, the Tamron was a really killer lens.

The problem is that once I'm spending $1000 on the 17-55IS, I'm tempted to keep saving and get a 5D classic plus a 24-70L instead.

siuleung
113 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 25, 2009 21:45 |  #13

I use it for weddings. The only time sound would be a problem, if at all, is during the ceremony, during which time I'm using the 70-200 90% of the time. I have not had any problems focusing, even in a candlelit environment. I know people will freak out if I say anything negative about the 17-55 IS, but I just don't have a use for IS, even doing weddings, I guess I'm just not that shaky. There are so many other things to put that $400-$500 extra dollars into.

"I photograph to see what something will look like photographed." - Garry Winogrand
www.jthurmanphoto.blog​spot.com (external link)

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 25, 2009 23:35 |  #14

siuleung wrote in post #7804162 (external link)
I use it for weddings. The only time sound would be a problem, if at all, is during the ceremony, during which time I'm using the 70-200 90% of the time. I have not had any problems focusing, even in a candlelit environment. I know people will freak out if I say anything negative about the 17-55 IS, but I just don't have a use for IS, even doing weddings, I guess I'm just not that shaky. There are so many other things to put that $400-$500 extra dollars into.

I'm with you. IS is nice, but I've found the 17-50 tamron to be quite sharp. The extra $400 for the 17-55 IS just didn't sit with me. USM would be nice, but a luxury for the most part. To be honest, I'll have a flash anyway usually. There's only so much you can do when it's near pitch black outside.

And I shot a reception that was basically Christmas light lit outside, mid-October, 7-10pm. Focus is really helped since I have the flash, I'll leave it in AF assist and use the IR beam from the 550. Speaking of that, if you don't have a flash.. get one, and learn to use it ASAP. I actually think this would be a more worthy investment.

sponsored links

1,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 17-50 for weddings
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.