Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Apr 2009 (Saturday) 07:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 24-70 sample pics looking for inpu

Dave.H
707 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2009 07:43 |  #1

Here are some sample pics with my 24-70 I just picked up. I've had some bad copies of non canon lenses in the past so I am a bit sensitive and want to make sure I am getting my monies worth. We are leaving for vacation tomorrow so I have been playing to make sure I got my monies worth. Do these seem representative of the 24-70? I've had some bad shots too but those were user error. These are just converted, no sharpening. Is this as sharp as they get? Not complaining and I don't think it's bad I am just looking for some second opinions so I don't come back from vacation with sub par photos. I'm probably worrying about this way too much.

1) 1/640s f2.8 70mm

2) 1/160s f/5.6 24mm

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 40D | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | EF 24-70 L f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 L f/2.8 | [COLOR=navy]EF 100 f/2.8L Macro | 430EXhttp://www.davidhaughs​.com (external link)

sponsored links
Dave.H
THREAD ­ STARTER
707 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2009 07:43 |  #2

1 more

1/100s 5.6 43mm

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 40D | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | EF 24-70 L f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 L f/2.8 | [COLOR=navy]EF 100 f/2.8L Macro | 430EXhttp://www.davidhaughs​.com (external link)

rammy
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 25, 2009 08:10 |  #3

EXIF or focal length, shutter speed, aperture and ISO would help determine...

Gear | Surrey Wedding Photographer (external link) | Surrey Wedding Photographer Blog (external link) | London Architecture Photographer (external link)

Dave.H
THREAD ­ STARTER
707 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2009 11:36 |  #4

rammy wrote in post #7800865 (external link)
EXIF or focal length, shutter speed, aperture and ISO would help determine...

Oops. Fixed it

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 25, 2009 11:39 |  #5

Leaving tomorrow for vacation - not really a good time to ask for help. And, where are you going on this vacation to see more/better brick walls? Is it safe to assume your shots are hand held? Tests really need to be done from a tripod with a remote switch. Unevenly lit brick walls are not a good subject.

GEAR LIST

Dave.H
THREAD ­ STARTER
707 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2009 11:46 |  #6

gasrocks wrote in post #7801575 (external link)
Leaving tomorrow for vacation - not really a good time to ask for help. And, where are you going on this vacation to see more/better brick walls? Is it safe to assume your shots are hand held? Tests really need to be done from a tripod with a remote switch. Unevenly lit brick walls are not a good subject.

Oh I have other lenses, just picked this one up and testing with it, so if its not perfect I'll use something else.

No they are tripod, well the dog isn't the wall is.

Looking through some other shots I have taken they seem pretty sharp. Gonna head to my nieces softball game and take some pics. These will be more representative of my kind of shooting. And better test subjects I assume :)

Maybe this thread was unnecessary, sort of last minute worries for no reason. I guess there is no better way to test it than to use it on things I normally shoot and see if I am happy with the results. Brick walls probably aren't the best since I never shoot brick walls. Just paranoid.

I'd say the dog's eyes are pretty sharp along with the hair around the eyes.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 25, 2009 11:49 |  #7

OK, good luck shooting more dogs on your vacation. I'm just kidding.

GEAR LIST

Dave.H
THREAD ­ STARTER
707 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2009 11:54 |  #8

gasrocks wrote in post #7801624 (external link)
OK, good luck shooting more dogs on your vacation. I'm just kidding.

Goofy will be there, does that count?

It's just been one of those weeks and I always get worried about weird things before leaving for vacation. I'm sure it's fine and it's vacation anyway, it's for the kiddo, not for my camera :)

wrussi
788 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 25, 2009 14:19 as a reply to  @ Dave.H's post |  #9

the images seem fine u shoulndt have a problem other than a sore arm from carrying that thing around lol

Gear List
my website
www.wrphotostudio.com (external link)

amyandmark3
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Gallery: 214 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 25, 2009 14:28 |  #10

Dave,
I just got back from some young girls' softball myself (east side of Indy).

Anyways, I'd base your opinion on the shots you take at the ball park today. It's a nice sunny day so shutter speeds should be high and AF should be easy. If you have mostly nice shots with just minimal processing, I'd say you're set with this lens and have fun at Disney (or wheverever you're going). :)

Mark O.
Gear List & Gallery

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 25, 2009 14:39 |  #11

Dave, I'm NOT being snarky here, but...

You need to worry about learning exposure, before you worry about minor lens 'defects'.

If you -really- think the lens might be bad, take shots of distant landscapes, or buildings 100 feet away from you, to determine if the lens elements are out of alignment, or the cam/lens has front/back focus.

yogibear
36 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 25, 2009 14:59 |  #12

Doesn't look very sharp to me, especially the pictures of the brick wall.

Dave.H
THREAD ­ STARTER
707 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2009 19:28 as a reply to  @ yogibear's post |  #13

amyandmark3 wrote in post #7802196 (external link)
Dave,
I just got back from some young girls' softball myself (east side of Indy).

Anyways, I'd base your opinion on the shots you take at the ball park today. It's a nice sunny day so shutter speeds should be high and AF should be easy. If you have mostly nice shots with just minimal processing, I'd say you're set with this lens and have fun at Disney (or wheverever you're going). :)

Yup it's good. Got some great shots of my niece today. Just last minute "jitters" I guess. Those are the pictures that count, and the reduced PP time is why I sprung for this over the Tammy I had.

Where on the east side? I am an east sider myself. I live in Lawrence but I was down in Wanamaker for the ball games today.

skid00skid00 wrote in post #7802231 (external link)
Dave, I'm NOT being snarky here, but...

You need to worry about learning exposure, before you worry about minor lens 'defects'.

If you -really- think the lens might be bad, take shots of distant landscapes, or buildings 100 feet away from you, to determine if the lens elements are out of alignment, or the cam/lens has front/back focus.

No worries. Like I said, I think this was all in haste and my head wasn't on straight, the brick wall pictures lack a lot on many aspects and the dogs head is under exposed.

I've NEVER had a problem with Canon products other than my 28-135 was soft from 100 and up but that is FAR from L glass. My "experiences" have been with others that were sub par, then I got in my own head by reading WAY too much. Not sure if I will have time to post up any of today's shots before we leave, since I still have to pack my camera gear and for some reason that takes me FOREVER to do. But I'll make sure I bring some pics back from Disney.

scott ­ stokes
642 posts
Joined May 2004

Apr 25, 2009 20:09 as a reply to  @ Dave.H's post |  #14

looks ok to me, how did you take a picture of my dog?

50d ,50 1.8,420ex,,tameron 19-35,tamron28-75,sigma70-200 2.8,bigma,24-70L

Dave.H
THREAD ­ STARTER
707 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2009 20:22 |  #15

scott stokes wrote in post #7803689 (external link)
looks ok to me, how did you take a picture of my dog?

She woke me up at 6am so we were just sitting there watching the science channel :rolleyes:

sponsored links

6,776 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 24-70 sample pics looking for inpu
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.