Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 15:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Keep a spare body or spend it on glass

laydros
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 26, 2009 15:05 |  #1

I know this will largely be a personal thing, but it's interesting to hear peoples input. I bought a Rebel XS to get myself moved over to Canon from Sony. I then got a 40D. I originally thought the XS would be nice to have as a smaller and light weight alternative to the 40D for travel, but I then realized I would probably just bring the 40D with me. So at this point it is a second body for backup, and two body shooting. I haven't yet used it as a second body (with another lens) but I think it could be very useful in some settings (like when I'm helping out at a wedding this summer.) So far, for the month or so I've had the 40D, the Rebel has sat in a cabinet.

But I'm starting to think that at this point, the $350 or so I could probably sell the body for might be worth it to spend on glass. My wife and I have a new baby and not a lot of spending money. I'd probably try to sell the XS plus kit lens for the Tamron 17-50, or just the body for a Canon 85/1.8.

Any feelings on this?

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX
Nikon FE, 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 and Mamiya C220 Complete Gear List.

sponsored links
rdalrt
Goldmember
1,708 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 26, 2009 15:21 |  #2

I sold my 2nd 40D and bought glass. I am not a professional, so having 2 bodies didn't really make sense to me.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

blackmatch456
268 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 26, 2009 15:42 |  #3

Why did you have 2 bodies in the first place?

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 26, 2009 15:48 |  #4

blackmatch456 wrote in post #7807808 (external link)

I decided to switch to Canon from Sony, and I bought a Rebel XS because it was cheap, and I hadn't yet sold my Sony camera. A month later I sold my Sony and used the money from that to buy the 40D. I thought it might be useful and worthwhile to have two bodies.

I'm going to guess from the tone of your response you don't think two bodies is a good idea over spending on glass.

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,708 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 26, 2009 17:11 |  #5

blackmatch456 wrote in post #7807808 (external link)

If you meant me, I picked up the second 40D in a package deal when I bought the 17-55. The deal was too good to pass up. Got the 40D basically for free.

My Junk ;)

Al ­ Mac
24 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 26, 2009 17:28 |  #6

It doesn't sound like this fits your situation, but somebody who goes on photo expeditions to far-off sites often want two bodies, because if the main body dies, they're dead in the water. They can't realistically get their camera body repaired and get it back in the middle of a trip or get it fixed out in the wilderness they spent a lot of money to get to, right? They want two bodies, and will keep their older one as a backup. Also, camera bodies are more likely to suffer an accident or failure when traveling. But again, this isn't what you're asking about, so I doubt it's a big concern for you.

For shooting around home, in the unlikely event the camera body dies, you ship it out to Canon to get it fixed, and in most cases the downtime is not a critical dealbreaker. In that situation, selling the body now for new glass makes more sense. The value of digital SLRs pretty much goes in only one direction over time, and that's down, so as soon as you can, sell it while you can get as much money as you can for it.

Harvey_G
Cream of the Crop
5,375 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 26, 2009 17:31 |  #7

Buy glass.

-Harv-
Residing in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Shooting with more great Canon gear than I deserve. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I don't need a second childhood. I'm not finished yet with the first one. :lol:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=764587

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 26, 2009 18:06 |  #8

[QUOTE=laydros;7807645​]I know this will largely be a personal thing, but it's interesting to hear peoples input. I bought a Rebel XS to get myself moved over to Canon from Sony. I then got a 40D. I originally thought the XS would be nice to have as a smaller and light weight alternative to the 40D for travel, but I then realized I would probably just bring the 40D with me. So at this point it is a second body for backup, and two body shooting. I haven't yet used it as a second body (with another lens) but I think it could be very useful in some settings (like when I'm helping out at a wedding this summer.) So far, for the month or so I've had the 40D, the Rebel has sat in a cabinet.

But I'm starting to think that at this point, the $350 or so I could probably sell the body for might be worth it to spend on glass. My wife and I have a new baby and not a lot of spending money. I'd probably try to sell the XS plus kit lens for the Tamron 17-50, or just the body for a Canon 85/1.8.

Any feelings on this?[/quote]

your plan sounds good to me. having two cameras with 1.6 crop sensors isn't doing much for you if you don't need a back-up.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 26, 2009 19:30 |  #9

rdalrt wrote in post #7807727 (external link)
I am not a professional, so having 2 bodies didn't really make sense to me.

Somone explain to me why having 2 bodies is only for professionals? How many people in here own more than one computer, but doesn't have an IT related job? How many people own two vehicles, but are not a professional delivery person, driver, etc? How many people own more than 1 fishing pole, but aren't professional fishermen?

Why is owning multiple lenses (even if they are all professional grade L lenses) not considered being a professional, but owning two pro-sumer bodies is? I just don't understand what the reasoning is behind this. If I look at rdalrt, he says he's not a professional and thus doesn't need 2 bodies, but yet has a professional class lens (70-200) (arguably two with the 17-55)? So for him, keeping an extra $600 40D body made him a professional, while having 2 $1000+ lenses does not? I'm just not following the logic on this.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 26, 2009 19:35 |  #10

laydros wrote in post #7807645 (external link)
I know this will largely be a personal thing, but it's interesting to hear peoples input. I bought a Rebel XS to get myself moved over to Canon from Sony. I then got a 40D. I originally thought the XS would be nice to have as a smaller and light weight alternative to the 40D for travel, but I then realized I would probably just bring the 40D with me. So at this point it is a second body for backup, and two body shooting. I haven't yet used it as a second body (with another lens) but I think it could be very useful in some settings (like when I'm helping out at a wedding this summer.) So far, for the month or so I've had the 40D, the Rebel has sat in a cabinet.

Any feelings on this?

Laydros, in response to your question, I think your kit is clearly in need of upgrading the glass. Right now, your lens selection is composed of entry grade lenses. I think you will find that selling the XS and using the money to upgrade some of your lenses will make the biggest difference, than keeping both the 40D and XS.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,708 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 26, 2009 19:49 |  #11

BigBlueDodge wrote in post #7808836 (external link)
So for him, keeping an extra $600 40D body made him a professional, while having 2 $1000+ lenses does not? I'm just not following the logic on this.

My reasoning is that since I don't make a living or any money from my photography, if the single body that I have breaks and needs service or to be replaced, no big deal. I can go without it for a few weeks and no income lost.

But since I am fortunate enough to be able to afford decent quality glass I maybe I am a professional and didn't even know it. LOL :)

My Junk ;)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 26, 2009 20:01 |  #12

I'll go counter to the flow for a minute -- Last night, my main body went 999 on me during a concert shoot; it got corrected quickly, but I was relaxed because my backup was in the car.

I had a body fail in Yellowstone. One of three; early shutter failure.

Again, no worries.

For some strange reason, when a body fails, it goes at the worst possible time. Not when you're just messing around.......

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 26, 2009 20:26 |  #13

Finagle's Law (external link)

Yeah, seems to be a good reason to keep an extra around. Also would be nice to have one for a wide angle and one for telephoto when doing event photography. However I'm currently leaning towards selling it. The same Rebel XS will probably cost me a couple hundred less in a year or two than I can buy it for now, if I end up shooting in a more serious manner.

onlypars
34 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 26, 2009 20:28 |  #14

Since you have two crop bodies, I would buy better glass.

1DMkIIN, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400IS L, 24-105L, 100 2.8, Canon 50 1.4,Tokina 28-80 2.8, 430EX, 580EX, Quantum Turbo, 1.4 x EF II, 2X EF
Need to sell 20D, 17-85IS, BGE2, 17-85 IS, 2x EF
WISHLIST: 1.4X IIx2, 24-70 2.8 L, 85 1.8, 135 f2

Eaton ­ Photos
996 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 27, 2009 00:03 |  #15

40D: Keep
1000D: Sell $375
18-55IS: Sell $75
50/1.8: Sell $70 ish
70-210 USM: Sell $Don't have a clue

Buy: 17-50/2.8 Tamron & 100/2.8 Macro

Macro shots of babies is a unique perspective. And it works well as a portraiture lens.

JamesFacebook Profile  (external link)| Facebook Page (external link)
My Images (external link)
| My Gear

sponsored links

2,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
Keep a spare body or spend it on glass
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.