Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Apr 2009 (Saturday) 08:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Swap my 50D for a 1D MkII???

hlcowan
228 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 26, 2009 19:56 as a reply to  @ post 7808348 |  #46

I don't have the 50D, so I can't speak to that, but I can say that I absolutely love my 1D MkII!!! I have a 20D which still works perfectly, but has now been relegated into the spot of backup body. The click of the shutter on the MkII is a beautiful sound; even my husband notices when I've picked up the 20D to shoot with, as he asks what's wrong with my shutter? It sounds so plastic-y ;) Then there's the second shutter release for when you are holding the camera in either the horizontal or vertical position-it can't be beat. I shoot high school football, and that feature alone helped me capture numerous shots which would have been missed if it had taken me even a split second to hunt for that shutter button.
It IS built like a tank, and I really don't give it a second thought when I shot in inclement weather. Yes, the dials take some getting used to, and it does feel clumsy rather than intuitive when you need to change settings; but once you're used to it, it's not difficult at all.

Heather L. Cowan, HLC Photography
Canon EOS 1D Mark II, 5D, 20D, a few lenses - and learning something new every day ;)
http://www.hlcphotogra​phy.smugmug.com (external link)
$5 off when you sign up with smugmug: jTIJe0v34JTyQ

sponsored links
onlypars
34 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 26, 2009 20:49 |  #47

I had pretty good luck shooting sports and birds with my 20D. I have now upgraded to a 1DmkIIN. Man, have the keeper rate gone way up. I have no problems using 1600 iso either. Hold on tight the first time you shoot a burst on high with the 1DII. It will blow your mind.

1DMkIIN, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400IS L, 24-105L, 100 2.8, Canon 50 1.4,Tokina 28-80 2.8, 430EX, 580EX, Quantum Turbo, 1.4 x EF II, 2X EF
Need to sell 20D, 17-85IS, BGE2, 17-85 IS, 2x EF
WISHLIST: 1.4X IIx2, 24-70 2.8 L, 85 1.8, 135 f2

pantherphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 26, 2009 22:25 |  #48

There is another potential trade here in the US (a different one than the original). This one has 159K for a shutter count. He is double checking that, as it sounded high to him.

What is the life of the shutter on these? 159K sounds a little high for my taste...

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 26, 2009 22:36 |  #49

I believe the 1Ds are in the 250-300k range.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

caseyjohnphotography
969 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 26, 2009 23:33 |  #50
bannedPermanent ban

Okay i haven't read anyone's posts on this thread but when i saw the thread title, it clicked in my head that i have to post in here.

I had a 40D and other gear etc, anyway i traded things for a guys 1D Mark IIN and when i got it and unwrapped it etc, i was like 'wow, i have a 1-Series, this is going to be amazing' etc etc. I used it alot and alot, but eventually i looked at the pictures that I had taken and i will tell you now the 40D's photos are much much better, with colour saturation, sharpness, detail etc.

Honestly, keep the 50D and get some awesome glass!

1D Mark III | 17-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS| 580EX II | 430EX II | 3 PocketWizard Plus II's

pantherphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 26, 2009 23:42 |  #51

Hmmm, lots of food for thought. I have another night to sleep on this. I keep going back and forth in my mind about this. If I was spending any money at all on the upgrade, I would decide to keep the money for better glass. But since I'm not spending anything outside of shipping, I keep coming back to it.

I sure do appreciate everyone's advice and input. Truly, in my 5 months on this forum, it has been incredible the help everyone so nicely (most of the time :D ) gives. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I will check back in tomorrow to see what other wisdom has been imparted. Thanks again!

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

caseyjohnphotography
969 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 26, 2009 23:46 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

have you ever played with a Mark II ?

1D Mark III | 17-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS| 580EX II | 430EX II | 3 PocketWizard Plus II's

Lore
Damn I failed the goat
2,966 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 26, 2009 23:57 as a reply to  @ caseyjohnphotography's post |  #53

seriously, IMO, its a no brainier to rent the equipment you 'plan' to trade for before you actually trade away what you have, so you can test it out for a few days.

That way... you like it... great... have at it... you don't... nothing lost, you still have the 50D that you love.

Lore
flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Blography (external link)
"Every photograph tells a story, What's your story?"

caseyjohnphotography
969 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 27, 2009 00:07 |  #54
bannedPermanent ban

^ Thats it.

rawshorty
Cream of the Crop
5,584 posts
Gallery: 379 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 27, 2009 08:24 |  #55

I'm wondering why he would want to swap his 1D for a 50D Maybe he's sitting back rubbing his hands together saying i'm going to get a near new 50D for my 1D i dropped on the road today?
The cost of flying over to the uk to try and swap them back could maybe get you some good glass?

I prefer to be in the bush with the animals than a crowded city.
Shorty

pantherphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 27, 2009 09:38 |  #56

rawshorty wrote in post #7811667 (external link)
I'm wondering why he would want to swap his 1D for a 50D Maybe he's sitting back rubbing his hands together saying i'm going to get a near new 50D for my 1D i dropped on the road today?
The cost of flying over to the uk to try and swap them back could maybe get you some good glass?

Well, I'm not flying anywhere...LOL I've pretty much decided that I am not going to trade with the guy in the UK. That's too long of distance for me and he would rather trade with someone local. Sounds good to me.

Then someone else approached me about possibly trading his 1DMkII for my 50D because he hardly used the 1DMkII and wants something smaller. But...it has 157K shutter count. Way too high imo. So right now, I'm going to keep my 50D.

If I can find anywhere around here that rents a 1DMkII, I will rent one and try it out for a few days. That way, if I decide to do such a trade, I'll know better what to do.

The thought of having a 1DMkxx thrills me, but I do love my 50D and am in no hurry to get rid of it. I can patiently wait for the right deal to come along, if it ever does. I sure am thankful for everyone's help, advice, and thoughts. But for right now, I'm staying put.

Eric

pantherphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 27, 2009 13:07 |  #57

Don't misunderstand me...if the right deal comes along, I'll gladly trade! But it would have to be low-moderate shutter count and in really good condition. So, if interested, let me know!

Eric

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
15,025 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2009 00:27 |  #58

pantherphotos wrote in post #7805744 (external link)
I totally understand about the full frame, but isn't the 1DMkII still a crop (1.3)? I thought only the 5D's and 1Ds' were full frame. But I guess the 1DMkII would be a step in the right direction.

Yes, Eric - you're right. The 1DII has a 1.3 crop factor. I was saying that for landscapes a full frame sensor is really the way to go. For sports the 1DII or 1DIII are wonderful.
The needs for sports and for landscapes are quite different. Sports and wildlife, now they are rather similar inasmcuh as bodies are concerned (especially where birds in flight are frequent subjects).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

blackmatch456
268 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 28, 2009 00:44 |  #59

How would a 40d/5d combo be for shooting?

or XSi/5d?

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 28, 2009 05:35 |  #60

I just bought a MkIIn, and I know from owning a 1D Classic that there is nothing like them. It will probably be my last camera. But the 50D does micro adjust and has the new Digic 4 and a gapless 15Mp sensor. It would be a very tough choice for me too, but then, a used 1D is worth more than a new 50D in todays market. Tough choices but you hit it on the head earlier, once you own a 1D, there ain't nothin else like it. ;)

I got my MkIIn, but I am keeping the 40D too. :lol:

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links

5,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
Swap my 50D for a 1D MkII???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.