Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2009 (Monday) 08:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G10 RAW+JPEG Not working

Milkie
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 23, 2009 08:24 |  #1

I have read the manual on how to change it to RAW + JPEG, and it is now saving a RAW file, but only a RAW file. When I look on the card I have two files called the same thing eg: (IMG_0147.CR2 & IMG_0147.CR2).

It doesn't seem to be saving a JPEG, only two CR2's which are exactly the same size.

What am I doing wrong?

http://flickr.com/phot​os/milkiekula/ (external link)

sponsored links
GordonSBuck
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 23, 2009 08:46 |  #2

This question/problem comes up often. No one likes the answer but you can't use Windows to download the files directly from your camera. You have to use either the Canon software with the camera or an external card reader for Windows.

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

michaelnel
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 23, 2009 08:58 |  #3

Wow, I didn't know that, since I shoot RAW only (not plus JPEG) and download the files with Adobe Bridge.

I keep my photos on SmugMug: (http://michaelnel.smug​mug.com (external link))

Milkie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 23, 2009 09:06 |  #4

Cheers for the reply and explanation.. I did a search for "G10 JPEG + RAW" and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

No doubt this has been said many times then....

I thought the point of having a RAW+JPEG on the camera, would be so you could hook it up to say the TV/PS3 and view the files, without having to convert the RAW files to JPEG. Handy if you were on holiday and wanted to review on a TV.

Seems pretty pointless having a setting on the camera for JPEG+RAW, especially as it seems to save the RAW file twice? taking up twice the room needed.

All in all, I'm loving this camera! And its my first camera, in well over 10 years, I don't count camera phones!

http://flickr.com/phot​os/milkiekula/ (external link)

Piet
295 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 23, 2009 11:46 |  #5

Milkie wrote in post #7386993 (external link)
I thought the point of having a RAW+JPEG on the camera, would be so you could hook it up to say the TV/PS3 and view the files, without having to convert the RAW files to JPEG. Handy if you were on holiday and wanted to review on a TV.

That is exactly the point and it works fine just like this.
In addition the JPG is mandatory for direct printing (which i use for holiday cards).

Milkie wrote in post #7386993 (external link)
Seems pretty pointless having a setting on the camera for JPEG+RAW, especially as it seems to save the RAW file twice? taking up twice the room needed.

There are no double RAW files and no double space consumption. You are mislead by a wrong view to the file system like Gordon said. Just put the memory card in a card reader and you will find one (large) RAW and one (smaller) JPG for each shot.

Regards,
Piet

mike_t
108 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 23, 2009 11:54 |  #6

I'm having a similar problem, although I'm using CameraWindow on a MacBook; When I ask it to download all images it downloads the JPEG files perfect, but never downloads the RAW file which should accompany it.

I have seen over on DPR that there are some issue with Windows, and having to use card readers etc, am I in the same boat?

Mike

willhowell
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 26, 2009 13:54 as a reply to  @ mike_t's post |  #7

Hi guys

hope you can help me, I am the proud owner of my 40D and use Raw all the time, but I thought i would get a nice small camera to carry around all the time which had a lot of the features of my 40D but in a smaller format so I chose the Powershot G10

The problem is that no matter what mode I am in I simply cannot get it to shoot RAW, even if the setting is set to RAW+L it still only takes a JPG image - there are no other files on the memory card at all, I have set it so RAW+L is off and according the the manual this should then mean it takes in RAW only - but I still only get a JPG.

Any Ideas??

Thanks

Will

rpolitsr
Cream of the Crop
5,983 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 26, 2009 14:06 |  #8

You can select either RAW or RAW+L as you did, but you need to select RAW using the function button too. Check page 83 of the user guide.
Note: RAW is available in P,Tv,Av,M modes only. You can not shot RAW in AUTO mode.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

KarlMarsh
Living in a Marshist regime
426 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 27, 2009 10:30 |  #9

rpolitsr wrote in post #7807410 (external link)
You can select either RAW or RAW+L as you did, but you need to select RAW using the function button too. Check page 83 of the user guide.
Note: RAW is available in P,Tv,Av,M modes only. You can not shot RAW in AUTO mode.

Yep thats the key you have to select it in both places and then shoot in one of the creative modes.

Karl
Gear List
Gallery (external link) Smugmug
Gallery (external link) Flickr

savone
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2009 21:43 |  #10

this thread came in really handy for me and I am sure a lot of others as well. I would just like to add that I recently bought a g10. I had to upgrade to Camera Raw 5.3 before my Photoshop CS4 could open the file. No problems now, thanks!

liannallama
113 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 11, 2009 00:18 |  #11

hmmm...I was able to DL both file types from my camera in Windows Explorer and they seem fine (but I haven't tried to open the RAW yet--I hope they are OK!) But I have Windows 2000 so maybe my system is weird!

ETA: Crud--I take it all back. It pretended like it was loading the files but it didn't so they are not there, LOL! Guess I will have to install the Canon software and try again! (GAK! I was trying to avoid installing anything until I upgrade my system)

~Lianne & her Canon G10 with PSCS2~
my blog: http://llamatales.blog​spot.com (external link)
C/C always welcomed and appreciated!

doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 12, 2009 10:04 |  #12

Okay, so how did you fix this, I am having the same problem, so do I have to buy a card reader?

SteveLS
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 28, 2009 09:49 |  #13

GordonSBuck wrote in post #7386891 (external link)
This question/problem comes up often. No one likes the answer but you can't use Windows to download the files directly from your camera. You have to use either the Canon software with the camera or an external card reader for Windows.

I’m really glad I found this site and this message thread, I’m having the same problem but with a Canon S90.
I even contacted tech support who said: “I recommend sending the camera in for service, …”. Not very helpful considering this is a known issue.
Now that I know I can stop worrying about it and start just having fun with the camera.

sponsored links

7,605 views & 0 likes for this thread
G10 RAW+JPEG Not working
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.