Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 12:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DxO Optics Pro

breakdown
302 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 19, 2009 12:52 |  #1

I've been looking at this product quite a bit lately. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it. It looks like a good product for speeding up my work flow and doing some of the common post processing procedures.

sponsored links
luphoto
76 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 23, 2009 16:17 |  #2

I primarily use it to correct the lens distortion, but man it's slow compared to LR. Make sure your lens/body combination are in it's supported list.

RodneyCyr
639 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 23, 2009 16:34 |  #3

I use DxO (version 5) for preliminary post-processing. With it the infamous distortions of my 17-85 @17mm simply go away. It does a nice job of sharpening up my images and reducing ISO noise, as well as correcting minor exposure errors. in fact, I can get quite good noise performance out of my 30D at ISO3200 -1 stop underexposure, thereby simulating ISO6400.

All of its automated processes: noise reduction, exposure compensation, color balance, etc., may be manually adjusted when necessary.

On multi-processor machines DxO uses all of the processors to speed up the work. (But the user may choose to use fewer processors if preferred.)

With version 5.3.3 the only problems I have noted are:
1) The display window occasionally gets garbled, but can be cleaned up by minimizing and then maximizing the window.

2) While processing high ISO images containing large dark red areas with some detail, the noise reduction process seemed to lose excessive detail. (I just noticed this problem while processing some pictures today and have not had time to investigate or experiment further. The pictures in question were shot RAW.)

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-30, Sigma 30mm f/1.4DC, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro X9
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 27, 2009 13:16 |  #4

I have DxO v 5.3.3 and I like the program. I have tried previous versions and was not overly impressed but I am happy with the most recent version. My biggest complaint is that the file processing is very slow. If you have a quad core processor, I'm sure it will be quicker but I am on an out-dated machine. The DxO raw conversions are good and in some cases it takes less work to get a better picture than with DPP or ACR. That being said, I still prefer DPP, especially for its handling of colors.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

buckwheat
229 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 27, 2009 15:35 |  #5

I have been using it on and off for a couple of years. It is so slow....but worth it if you have a lot of photos that need distortion correction. My conversions seem to scream 'DXO-processed' in the exposure and lighting areas...very vivid compared to other converters. Anyways, I use it as a specialty tool when I need it...nice to have around. Worth a try.

5D/35L/50 1.4/85 1.8/100 Macro/ 16-35L/24-70L/24-105L

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 29, 2009 07:26 |  #6

I use v5, but only when there is no alternative - like when I've shot people with my 10-22 and DXO is the only way to fix the distortion. It's just so horribly, painfully, slow. Whole geological periods can pass while waiting for it to do something that Lightroom does instantly.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

luphoto
76 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 29, 2009 17:43 |  #7

I like LR's nondestructive way of handling RAW more. With DxO you have to conconvert RAW to other format, TIFF or jpeg, et al, in order to keep the result. Then there is this problem with DxO's TIFF: they are 3 times the size of the original RAW! I really wish DxO can come up with something compatible with LR in the non-detructive way of processing RAW.

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 04, 2009 17:01 |  #8

In DxO if you set it to automatically save a sidecar file for each image in a project, then all of your settings are saved for each image without having to save a TIFF until you need one. It works basically the same as ACR's XMP sidecars.

Photo Gear

luphoto
76 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 05, 2009 13:48 |  #9

Good to know that. Problem is, I only use DxO for lens correction in my raw work flow and process the further with LR. I'n addicted to those easy tools used to offered by PS but also available in LR. I wish LR can do lens correction then I will ditch DxO, well oh well.

macroimage wrote in post #7857602 (external link)
In DxO if you set it to automatically save a sidecar file for each image in a project, then all of your settings are saved for each image without having to save a TIFF until you need one. It works basically the same as ACR's XMP sidecars.

joosay
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 27, 2009 22:47 |  #10

I love DxO but then again I have a quad processor computer.

Flickr (external link) - Angelito Jusay Photography (external link)

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 27, 2009 23:23 |  #11

joosay wrote in post #8354608 (external link)
I love DxO but then again I have a quad processor computer.

I love DxO too. I don't have a fast computer but I do have patience and the results are worth the wait.

Photo Gear

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 29, 2009 07:44 |  #12

hollis_f wrote in post #7824628 (external link)
I use v5, but only when there is no alternative - like when I've shot people with my 10-22 and DXO is the only way to fix the distortion. It's just so horribly, painfully, slow. Whole geological periods can pass while waiting for it to do something that Lightroom does instantly.

Wow! Just installed v5.3.4 on my new laptop (3 GHz Quad Processor, 4MB 1333 MHz Ram running Vista 64 bit) and it's unbelievable! The speed on this system is astounding compared to the old one (2 GHz, Core 2, 2MB RAM, Vista 32 bit). It's obviously written to take full advatage of the multiple processors.

Now that I can actually use it - the interface sucks compared to Lightroom. However, it's still the best way of correcting the distortions on the 10-22, so it will stay installed. It just won't be used that often.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

chmod
224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 16, 2009 17:12 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #13

I use DXO on a quad core and love it. The RAW extraction is the best I've used. In addition, the ability to create and import calibrated ICC profiles (not after the fact but as a component of the RAW conversion) is unmatched.

As far as the interface, that's completely subjective. I think it fair to assert if people spent as much time on the interface as their preferred LR interface it would be equally valued. But it is not a simplistic interface so maybe that is the issue?

Lens correction modules, ICC profiles, and incredible geometry adjustment tools makes this my favorite. It really does pull out detail.

But like all software/camera combinations....you really need to demo them before you purchase.

chmod

Image Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

2,524 views & 0 likes for this thread
DxO Optics Pro
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.