Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 19:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D shooting issue?

blone
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 28, 2009 19:52 |  #1

Hey, I was having trouble with the search function, so ill ask anyway, I am having an issue with my 40d. When I attempt to shoot a picture, no matter what mode I am in, it takes up to several times pushing the button before it shoots the pic, sometimes it shoots on the first attempt, sometimes it doesn't. Forgive me if its a noob question, because, well, I am a noob :lol:. My ex girlfriend and I bought it a little over a year and a half ago, the camera was mainly purchased for her to start a business, so yadda yadda I ended up with the camera, and dont have much experience with it. Does it sound like something is wrong with the camera? or is it on a setting I don't know about? My manual is missing as well. Thanks guys!

sponsored links
agc1019
184 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2009 19:56 |  #2

My guess is the camera is having trouble focusing.

Try it in bright light, and focus on an area with high contrast.

Bukka
318 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 28, 2009 21:05 |  #3

What lens are you using, and is it only in AF or MF that this happens?
When I owned a 40D, it had the same issue only when I used the 50mm 1.8. The "AF/MF" switch didn't always disengage the auto focus when i switched to manual. What would happen, is my 50 would try to cycle through the entire focusing range a few times before it would stop and allow me to do anything. a qick toggle of the af/mf switch always fixed it.

Not saying that this is what's wrong with it...but i'm just saying to not overlook something as small as that.

Switched to the "dark side" but I like these boards.
Digital: Nikon D200
Lenses: Nikkor 50 1.8D, Nikkor-P 55 macro 3.5, Nikkor 35 1.8G Nikkor 85 1.8.
Film: Canonet QL17 G-III, Bell&Howel/Canon Dial 35,

blone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 28, 2009 22:46 |  #4

agc1019 wrote in post #7822072 (external link)
My guess is the camera is having trouble focusing.

Try it in bright light, and focus on an area with high contrast.

Gonna try this tomorrow.. ill post up results

blone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 28, 2009 22:59 |  #5

Bukka wrote in post #7822456 (external link)
What lens are you using, and is it only in AF or MF that this happens?
When I owned a 40D, it had the same issue only when I used the 50mm 1.8. The "AF/MF" switch didn't always disengage the auto focus when i switched to manual. What would happen, is my 50 would try to cycle through the entire focusing range a few times before it would stop and allow me to do anything. a qick toggle of the af/mf switch always fixed it.

Not saying that this is what's wrong with it...but i'm just saying to not overlook something as small as that.

the lens is a 72mm Canon 28-135 it came with the camera. It has been doing it mainly in AF, it doesnt seem to have the problem in MF.

Project22a
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 28, 2009 23:13 |  #6

If you still have your auto-focus set to half-shutter depress, it won't shoot without focus confirmation.

B&W film shooter gone digital.

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 29, 2009 11:59 |  #7

Project22a wrote in post #7823203 (external link)
If you still have your auto-focus set to half-shutter depress, it won't shoot without focus confirmation.

Yep. I discovered the same thing on my 50D - first camera I've owned with that "feature", and it took me a couple times to figure out what was going on! If you switch AF off on the lens and focus manually, it will allow you to shoot.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 29, 2009 12:03 |  #8

Put it in AI Servo and try it. It will then fire whether it's in focus or not. My bet is it's a bad shutter button, not the first 40D with button problems.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links

1,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D shooting issue?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.