Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Apr 2009 (Monday) 12:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New AB Max, with love for europe

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 28, 2009 08:49 |  #16

These look pretty cool. Ocant wait to see them in person. I wonder how they will stack up in the real world.

sponsored links
baowow
303 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 28, 2009 22:50 |  #17

That strobe looks amazing. It makes me want to buy one when it comes out, even though I have no use for it.

I need to stay out of the buy/sell forum. It's burning a hole in the wallet...

MinhThien
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 00:08 |  #18

cybersync transceiver module cost extra $29.95! They should be included!

Eric
5D IV | 35L II | 200L IS | 85L II | 430EX | 190CXPRO4 | 498RC2 | TT Streetwalker Roller| TT Restro 7 | F-stop Kenti |

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2009 11:17 as a reply to  @ MinhThien's post |  #19

I am so glad that i waited (mainly because i am broke)! (wait... does that mean we should expect a new ABR MAX 320 anytime soon?)

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

JasonL
51 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 29, 2009 11:38 |  #20

Those parabolic umbrellas look interesting.

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Apr 29, 2009 11:48 |  #21

JasonL wrote in post #7825808 (external link)
Those parabolic umbrellas look interesting.

LOL, yeah, they don't actually look parabolic! :D

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2009 11:52 |  #22

I was interested when I first saw this, looked like the ideal budget strobes to kit out studios with. Then I saw that their 8-stop range is actually a 7-stop range and that they are designed to be used with a permanent frosted dome which will presumably waste even more light. Also appears that the colour hasn't been improved. Slightly disappointing really.

nestle
197 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 29, 2009 12:01 |  #23

Hermes wrote in post #7825897 (external link)
How much light does the built-in frosted dome waste?

I was reading the graphic as well and was wondering the same thing. I would assume (maybe wrongly) that the advertised light power measurement should take into account the frosted dome considering it's part of the default design.

Anyway, looks interesting. Not a big fan of how they hype up their product with digital illustrations though.

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 29, 2009 12:12 |  #24

... Then I saw that their 8-stop range is actually a 7-stop range ...

Just curious, Hermes, why you find a 7-stop range disappointing. It allows the 640WS light to be dialed down to 5WS and the 320WS light to be dialed down to 2.5WS. That's not alot of light. Do you have an application in mind that would call for 1.25WS?

Of course, all of this chatter is just conjecture as the ABMAX is not a "real" product at the moment, just a computer-generated gleam in PCB's eye. Hopefully, it won't follow in the development footsteps of the Einstein which remains vaporware.

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2009 12:33 |  #25

tetrode wrote in post #7826022 (external link)
Just curious, Hermes, why you find a 7-stop range disappointing. It allows the 640WS light to be dialed down to 5WS and the 320WS light to be dialed down to 2.5WS. That's not alot of light. Do you have an application in mind that would call for 1.25WS?

Of course, all of this chatter is just conjecture as the ABMAX is not a "real" product at the moment, just a computer-generated gleam in PCB's eye. Hopefully, it won't follow in the development footsteps of the Einstein which remains vaporware.

Every bit of extra adjustment helps. A powerful light with a true 8 stop range would would mean I'd be able to work with one model of strobe and no ND filters.

However, since these have the same adjustment range as the old ABs, the same colour system and a frosted dome to top it all off, there's no way they'll fit the bill.

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 29, 2009 12:40 |  #26

Mmmm...yummy! New vaporware to go along with the old vaporware.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

HeadShotz
160 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 29, 2009 12:58 |  #27

Hermes wrote in post #7826129 (external link)
Every bit of extra adjustment helps. A powerful light with a true 8 stop range would would mean I'd be able to work with one model of strobe and no ND filters.

However, since these have the same adjustment range as the old ABs, the same colour system and a frosted dome to top it all off, there's no way they'll fit the bill.

Other than the concern for the same color range...I'm not really following you on the rest. I'm not sure what benefit the 8th stop range would bring you on a 640ws light..2.5 ws? You'd still need a ND filter at that power? A 7 stop range doesn't cut it?

The frosted dome pops off easily and doesn't have to be used, but how much of an f stop loss do you really think the dome is providing?

The same or similar color range is a concern for sure though.....

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2009 12:59 |  #28

their 8-stop range is actually a 7-stop range and that they are designed to be used with a permanent frosted dome which will presumably waste even more light. Also appears that the colour hasn't been improved.

ok..I'll ask the dumb question: why is it an 8 stop range?
And why hasn't color been improved? Sounds like color is stable down to 1/8 power instead of 1/4 as it used to be?

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2009 13:18 |  #29

HeadShotz wrote in post #7826272 (external link)
Other than the concern for the same color range...I'm not really following you on the rest. I'm not sure what benefit the 8th stop range would bring you on a 640ws light..2.5 ws? You'd still need a ND filter at that power? A 7 stop range doesn't cut it?

The frosted dome pops off easily and doesn't have to be used, but how much of an f stop loss do you really think the dome is providing?

The same or similar color range is a concern for sure though.....

Correct.

Have you ever tried doing studio work at apertures under f/2? Imagine how low-powered the key light needs to be. Now imagine how low-powered the fill-light needs to be in order to be 2/3 stops below the key light in a situation like that.

I realise the dome comes off but it's obviously been put there because the bare tube output isn't very even so working without it doesn't seem like a very attractive proposition. As for how much light it wastes - could be a stop, maybe half a stop. The point is that a one-light fits all solution for me would need to have a respectable amount of power to start with. 640ws, which is further cut down by a diffuser, isn't going to be enough to comfortably use tools like condensing spots.

HeadShotz
160 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 29, 2009 13:38 |  #30

Hermes wrote in post #7826394 (external link)
Correct.

Have you ever tried doing studio work at apertures under f/2? Imagine how low-powered the key light needs to be. Now imagine how low-powered the fill-light needs to be in order to be 2/3 stops below the key light in a situation like that.

I realise the dome comes off but it's obviously been put there because the bare tube output isn't very even so working without it doesn't seem like a very attractive proposition. As for how much light it wastes - could be a stop, maybe half a stop. The point is that a one-light fits all solution for me would need to have a respectable amount of power to start with. 640ws, which is further cut down by a diffuser, isn't going to be enough to comfortably use tools like condensing spots.

Ok..but for me (and many others I would bet), working under f/2 isn't something that happens very often in a studio situation. It's not as big of a concern for me. I'd rig up a ND filter somehow in that rare situation.

Realistically, name a brand on the market that has a true "one light fits all solution" 8 f stop range. If there is one, I'm sure most of us couldn't afford it. You are talking about a true pro system, which AB's never have been positioned as.

I did read Buff added the dome to help eliminate hotspots as well as help protect the bulb. Since the product isnt out yet, it's premature to say the bare tube output isnt very even..could be..may not be. How much of a concern of yours was this on the current AB's? Plus I'm sure the 7 stop (or 8..7 to me) range was measured WITH the dome in place. There's no extra f stop loss with it in place in my mind.

sponsored links

3,232 views & 0 likes for this thread
New AB Max, with love for europe
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.