Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Apr 2009 (Monday) 17:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dog show lens?

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 29, 2009 06:29 |  #46

Exposure101 wrote in post #7816626 (external link)
I don't think those would be good for the show. I think for something like a dog show the more versatility the better.

I've tried using 4.0 zooms indoors and the results just weren't acceptable. It's very difficult to get enough shutter speed to get any shots with movment. The 100 2.0 gets great reviews and I think you need a fast lens for indoor shots. Everything I've purchased in this hobby has compromise, and this is a tough lens to fill for the budget. I'd suggest at least a 2.8 lens and any zoom with that speed will be expensive. I think I'd be happier with quality shots at higher shutter speeds and lower ISO, even if I had to crop them some.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

sponsored links
matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2009 08:09 |  #47

Scuff wrote in post #7824366 (external link)
A longer lens will allow you to get some better 'head on' shots, and the wider the aperture will help to throw out all of the background distractions.

So.... Obviously, go for the longest and widest aperture that you can afford.

Good luck with your decision.

QUOTED IMAGE

So Scuff,

Was this shot with the 70-200 L? It is overwhelmingly the sharpest image that has been posted in this thread. Great shot.

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

Scuff
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2009 12:17 |  #48

matonanjin wrote in post #7824782 (external link)
So Scuff,

Was this shot with the 70-200 L? It is overwhelmingly the sharpest image that has been posted in this thread. Great shot.

I didn't really want to state the lens as the OP was on a budget, so the image was posted as an example of the view angle and the OOF background.

It was shot with a 1dmkIII and a 300 f2.8Lis at f4.

Oh, and thanks for the kind comments.:cool:

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

kerrysroxy
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 13:05 as a reply to  @ Scuff's post |  #49

I found this lens
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

Has any one tried this lens. It seems to be a lens I could use anywhere

Gear:
Canon 7D, kenko extension tubes,
sigma 105mm
macro, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM II Macro, Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8.

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 29, 2009 13:07 |  #50

Scuff wrote in post #7826040 (external link)
I didn't really want to state the lens as the OP was on a budget, so the image was posted as an example of the view angle and the OOF background.

It was shot with a 1dmkIII and a 300 f2.8Lis at f4.

Oh, and thanks for the kind comments.

SUPER shot but gear wise it is like showing a staving person a banquet table then telling them if they could afford it they could eat.

The OP has a budget in the $300 range and you show examples using, what, an $9000+ rig? Niiiice...  :p I know gear does not make the photographer but it does control what is reasonable to expect.

BTW, I am TEASING because I get the idea you are presenting. The bigger you can open up a lens the better the bokeh will be all things being equal. I am finally getting that part in my head.

I really hope I can drag myself out the AM's with the agility trials with our local show. Not being an AM person, I have yet to make what is actually my favorite part of the show. So I settle for playing with the Saluki's, greyhounds, whippets and the ponies (Deer & Wolf Hounds) along with my buddies the Golden Retrievers. Actually I have so much fun with all the puppy dawgs.

In the mean time it gives me time to consider actually grabbing a 200 f/2.8 II along with a 1.4x TC. I know it would not give me the same results as your 300 f/2.8 IS @ f/4 but it might be worth the effort. I have had my eye on that 200 f/2.8 II just for the dog show anyway plus it is affordable for me right now. I also have been thinking about the 70-200 f/4 or the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II as an option as well. I really have my eye on that Canon 200 though. ;)

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

kerrysroxy
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 13:15 |  #51

brecklundin wrote in post #7826338 (external link)
SUPER shot but gear wise it is like showing a staving person a banquet table then telling them if they could afford it they could eat.

The OP has a budget in the $300 range and you show examples using, what, an $9000+ rig? Niiiice... :p I know gear does not make the photographer but it does control what is reasonable to expect.

BTW, I am TEASING because I get the idea you are presenting. The bigger you can open up a lens the better the bokeh will be all things being equal. I am finally getting that part in my head.

I really hope I can drag myself out the AM's with the agility trials with our local show. Not being an AM person, I have yet to make what is actually my favorite part of the show. So I settle for playing with the Saluki's, greyhounds, whippets and the ponies (Deer & Wolf Hounds) along with my buddies the Golden Retrievers. Actually I have so much fun with all the puppy dawgs.

In the mean time it gives me time to consider actually grabbing a 200 f/2.8 II along with a 1.4x TC. I know it would not give me the same results as your 300 f/2.8 IS @ f/4 but it might be worth the effort. I have had my eye on that 200 f/2.8 II just for the dog show anyway plus it is affordable for me right now. I also have been thinking about the 70-200 f/4 or the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II as an option as well. I really have my eye on that Canon 200 though. ;)

LOL

My breeds are working, and terriers and of course the standard poodles which should be placed in the sporting group but that is another story lol

Gear:
sigma 105mm
macro, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM II Macro, Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8.

kerrysroxy
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 13:52 as a reply to  @ kerrysroxy's post |  #52

sorry opps

Gear:
sigma 105mm

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 29, 2009 15:38 |  #53

This is a hands down, 70-200mm F4L.
Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
EOS R6 Gripped | 7D MK II Gripped | 24mm F1.4 | 35mm F2 IS | 24-70mm F2.8L | 70mm F2.8 Macro | 135mm F2L | 70-200mm F4L IS |

kerrysroxy
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 16:39 |  #54

no one has info on this lens ? Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

Gear:
sigma 105mm

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2009 20:07 |  #55

kerrysroxy wrote in post #7827565 (external link)
no one has info on this lens ? Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

The thing about that lens is that a f/6.3@250mm you will need to have very good light to get shutter speeds you'd want to freeze action. I'd also imagine that you'd need to stop down a stop or two to hit the sharpness sweet-spot of the lens (which means you'll even need more light).

I can't give any other specifics about that lens since I have never used one. What you can do though is go to pbase and search for that lens to see examples. Try to see how it performs at different aperture settings. Maybe you'll see that it fits what you need perfectly :)

John

Edit: Never mind about the pbase idea, I just took a quick look on pbase and I guess the lens is too new to have any examples :(

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2009 20:14 as a reply to  @ palmor's post |  #56

Oh, I just took a look on BH and the Sigma 18-250 is $529! For $70 more you can get a brand new Canon 70-200 f/4 non IS or spend less for a used one.

John

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

kerrysroxy
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 20:58 as a reply to  @ palmor's post |  #57

Thanks for the info Palmor , I never used different lenses only the standards that came with my lens.

I keep forgetting that they have F stop limits.

Gear:
sigma 105mm

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2009 21:12 |  #58

Not only is the maximum aperture an issue, anytime you have a zoom with that much range you have to sacrifice in image quality.

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 01, 2009 21:26 |  #59

kerrysroxy wrote in post #7828809 (external link)
Thanks for the info Palmor , I never used different lenses only the standards that came with my lens.

I keep forgetting that they have F stop limits.

BTW, I don't remember seeing both of these sites posted but they both can have really nice reviews. I prefer the first usually, especially if there is a video included in the review of the lens. But both give pretty solid coverage for the stuff that matters. And it usually comes w/o any bias:

http://www.motleypixel​.com/reviews/index.htm (external link)
http://www.slrgear.com​/reviews/index.php (external link) ( might have posted this one already??)

:)

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

kerrysroxy
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 04, 2009 11:20 |  #60

brecklundin wrote in post #7841543 (external link)
BTW, I don't remember seeing both of these sites posted but they both can have really nice reviews. I prefer the first usually, especially if there is a video included in the review of the lens. But both give pretty solid coverage for the stuff that matters. And it usually comes w/o any bias:

http://www.motleypixel​.com/reviews/index.htm (external link)
http://www.slrgear.com​/reviews/index.php (external link) ( might have posted this one already??)

:)

thanks breck, I think i am going to go with the sigma, 70-200 f/2.8 . I finally found a thread with pictures and IMO the pictures look more vivid that some of the other lenses suggested. Its in the bf price range also lol I will see if I can get one soon. If i do I will definitely post.

I went to the first link and love that site thanks

Gear:
sigma 105mm

sponsored links

6,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dog show lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.