Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 30 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Subscribed threads...I love the logic behind it

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 30, 2009 10:35 |  #1

POTN is a vBulletin-powered forum. One thing I love about POTN compared to other vBulletin forums is how the subscribed threads function keeps track of where I left off in individual threads.

I could have a subscribed thread that had a new post hours or days ago that I haven't read yet, but it will stay on my list until I actually visit the thread and catch up. Other vBulletin forums only seem to consider my last visit to the whole forum, and assess "newness" of posts based on that. If I keep visiting the forum, but do not get around to reading that thread, it will fall off my list unless it continues to get new entries after my latest forum visit. This is not nearly as useful. POTN's granularity is much more powerful in my opinion.

So, whoever configured it that way...thanks.

Gear List

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 30, 2009 12:45 |  #2

From what I gather, the vBulletin settings that allow this level of functionality are rather resource-hungry.

Because Pekka has full control over the servers, he's able to tweak the settings to give the best experience for the users here - some other forums running the same software with less control (and less in the way of processing power) are forced to pull back on the level of functionality in this area.

We are indeed fortunate to have someone like Pekka who dedicates huge amounts of time and money in giving us the wonderful playground that is POTN.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

S-Man
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 30, 2009 19:42 |  #3

I've always been curious (but too lazy to research it) about how one starts a forum, such as Pekka, and then how thousands of people join as members. Like, how does the word spread worldwide? It's not the most catchy or easy to type domain name either, but it's hugely successful.
As well as what it takes to run a forum? Surely heaps of hosting space!

And yes, I too dearly appreciate having such a vast knowledge base (which is free, by the way) in which to learn more every day.

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 07, 2009 09:44 |  #4

S-Man wrote in post #7834857 (external link)
And yes, I too dearly appreciate having such a vast knowledge base (which is free, by the way) in which to learn more every day.

There's always time to make a donation ;)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=57667

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

985 views & 0 likes for this thread
Subscribed threads...I love the logic behind it
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.