Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aperture Priority= Noobs?

the_ghi
101 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 30, 2009 19:59 |  #1

This has been really annoying to me. When ever I'm looking at someone's flickr and find that 100% of theie shots were shot in Aperture Priority mode, it just upsets me that someone would drop $$$ for a camera they have no idea how to use it. To me that means, you have no idea how to use a camera, instead you would just simply point and shoot, which is why there are P&S cameras out there. STOP USING APERTURE PRIORITY! SHOOT MANUAL!!!!

400D, 17-50 2.8, 28-70 L, 85 1.8, 380ex, Fastpack 350
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/the_ghi/ (external link)
I am lord of the Idiots.

sponsored links
ScPhotoMom
Goldmember
2,312 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 30, 2009 20:01 |  #2

According to many books Ive read, a great photographer knows when to shoot in Manual and when to shoot in priority. And I think for beginners it is best to shoot in prioroty until you learn more what you are doing and move on. You cant expect to jump into a DSLR and just know what to do with it

My Flickr (external link) - My Gear -My facebook (external link)
Canon 7d Mark II - Canon 40D - Canon 580ex - Canon 28-135mm(3.5) - Canon EF 17-55mm(2.8) - Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Canon 85mm 1.8

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 30, 2009 20:01 |  #3

What?

I do tend to use M mode most of the time, but Av can be useful in some situations. Sometimes light levels shot to shot really are changing constantly and Av is very useful for that.

Otherwise, why do you care what mode people use? Look at the shots. If they are great and taken in green box mode, what business is it of yours? The OP's post reads like "I've learned the first 10% of photography so I'm going to look down my nose at the lesser people still working at 9%".

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 30, 2009 20:02 |  #4

I know this is generally a very kind forum, but *headslap*.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

leroy_sunset
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 30, 2009 20:04 |  #5

the_ghi wrote in post #7834925 (external link)
This has been really annoying to me. When ever I'm looking at someone's flickr and find that 100% of theie shots were shot in Aperture Priority mode, it just upsets me that someone would drop $$$ for a camera they have no idea how to use it. To me that means, you have no idea how to use a camera, instead you would just simply point and shoot, which is why there are P&S cameras out there. STOP USING APERTURE PRIORITY! SHOOT MANUAL!!!!

Um, can we flame a guy that made a thread specifically intended to flame others?

*silence*

OK then. You're an idiot.

Canon's Jurassic Park - 1Ds, 1D bodies
My traveling buddy: the trusty S95
Newest addition: T2i
Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

dekalbSTEEL
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 30, 2009 20:05 |  #6

And what does this have to do with EOS camera bodies?

Grippy 30D, Tokina 300f4, Sigma 18-50f2.8, Canon 70-200f4L, thrifty50mkI, PM7500DX
Jon Gee Photography.com (external link)

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 30, 2009 20:06 as a reply to  @ Bendel's post |  #7

I can understand going off about P mode or Greenbox, but Av?

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

mrso
159 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 30, 2009 20:06 |  #8

I can guarantee you don't know 50% of the functionality of your computer ... why don't you just stop using one and go back to cups with a string attached between them.

5d | 70-200 2.8L IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 1.4x II | protected by Lowe Pro

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 30, 2009 20:07 |  #9

leroy_sunset wrote in post #7834951 (external link)
Um, can we flame a guy that made a thread specifically intended to flame others?

*silence*

OK then. You're an idiot.

No, go ahead and flame on. He totally asked for it.

Maybe OP doesn't realize that for a lot of conditions Av mode will typically be accurate within +/- 2/3 stop exposure.

Sure, you can meter a scene up front and shoot it in M mode. But if a photog is willing to adjust the exposure +/- 2/3 stop in PP then Av is often good enough. It isn't like a 2/3 stop push or pull is gonna make or break a lot of shots.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 30, 2009 20:07 |  #10

I know how to use my camera perfectly but shoot AV most of the time, are your shots better than mine?

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 30, 2009 20:08 |  #11

Lighten up big guy,
I've been shooting for 40 years, My first camera with AV was a XE-7 Minolta.
Automatic modes work very well, if you learn to use your camera.
I bet you shoot "Only raw" too.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

ScPhotoMom
Goldmember
2,312 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 30, 2009 20:09 |  #12

mrso wrote in post #7834968 (external link)
I can guarantee you don't know 50% of the functionality of your computer ... why don't you just stop using one and go back to cups with a string attached between them.

This went right over my head!! lol

My Flickr (external link) - My Gear -My facebook (external link)
Canon 7d Mark II - Canon 40D - Canon 580ex - Canon 28-135mm(3.5) - Canon EF 17-55mm(2.8) - Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Canon 85mm 1.8

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 30, 2009 20:09 |  #13

People can shoot however the hell they like, why should they care what you think?

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

rabidcow
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 30, 2009 20:09 |  #14

Outdoor candids at a game? Aperture Priority. Indoors at a prom? Manual. I choose the right tool for the job.

Spot metering outdoors with my AF point on the face of a black player with a white uniform will nearly always pan out better for the shot in Av mode. The white may be blown out in direct sunlight, but I can see the player.

Shooting only Manual mode strips you of tools in your toolbox. Use the tools you need when YOU need them, not when others think you should need them.

Steven A. Pryor (external link)
Photo Manager, Prestige Portraits (Central Indiana)
Pixel peep or shoot...Pixel peep or shoot... or shoot... (external link)
Stuff

jsinon
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 30, 2009 20:10 |  #15

That's funny, I keep coming across many posts, articles, books, etc. indicating more than a few professional wildlife as well as nature/landscape photographers use AV. I guess maybe they should just give it up and take up knitting:rolleyes:

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

14,875 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aperture Priority= Noobs?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.