Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 09:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why use Canon software such as DPP?

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 30, 2009 09:20 |  #1

Well I'm four days old with my new XSi. I've loaded the Canon Software, but I'm not sure why I would use it. I use Photoshop Elements and Bridge (which I'm trying to learn) to edit and browse my images. It does my RAW stuff, then I load it into PE to edit using adjustment layers (I'm learning not to mess with the original file). I'm going to play with the Canon software over the weekend but why would I use this software with or over the Photoshope Elements program. Am I missing something? What does DPP offer over PE?

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 30, 2009 10:17 |  #2

I can't really answer your question, but as you look for the answer, make sure you have the latest updates to your Canon software and the latest firmware. Canon has made some significant improvements to DPP which you can read about in other threads in this forum. You can download the Canon software updates from here (external link).

BTW... I love my XSi... For me, it hits the "sweet spot" for performance on a budget.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 30, 2009 10:28 |  #3

In my opinion, DPP is better at CA removal and other lens correction options. ACR is better at most other post processing options.
That said, you get DPP for free, and you have to pay for photoshop (-elements or CS), so if you don't do a lot of processing on your images but still want to shoot raw to set white balance in PP, you could get away with just using DPP...

I wish canon and photoshop worked together to give us the option to use 3rd party raw conversion options with DPP though (as a plugin). That would give us the best of both worlds :)

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

Electric ­ Shepherd
997 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 30, 2009 10:47 as a reply to  @ TweakMDS's post |  #4

I prefer the colour rendition and the lens correction tools that DPP offers.

It initally appears to have an interface that is clunky as hell which goes against it, but I now prefer editing my Raw files in it rather than Adobe Camera Raw.

However, to each his own and all that.

My Gear

My flickr (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 30, 2009 13:32 |  #5

DPP is designed as Canons RAW converter. I know that you have another, but DPP will be able to read many Canon camera specific settings that your generic converter cannot. Whether thats important only you can decide. I use DPP and like it, but then I don't have an alternative RAW converter.

DPP is not a post processing software like Elements. Yes, there are a few simple things like a basic cropping tool , levels, brightness and contrast controls, but nothing as in depth.

If you find DPP does everything you need, then fine, but for me it does not and I export my images from DPP to Photoshop for further attention every time.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Delivery ­ Man
198 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 30, 2009 20:05 |  #6

I started shooting RAW about a year ago and I wondered the same thing about DPP. I followed a number of threads in this forum and they contained all of the above reasons to try DPP and I agree with all of them.

The argument that really convinced me to give DPP a shot was that it is designed by the same folks who created your camera. The second most important was that it is free!

I use it almost exclusively but when some serious pp needs to be done I switch to PE7 to take advantage of the layers capbilities and more robust creative bells and whistles.

I like being able to switch Picture Styles and wb settings in the program with just a click of the mouse, even after having taken the shot with different settings in the camera.

5D MkIII gripped, 5D MkII gripped, G12, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM, EF 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, Sigma 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 DG OS, Canon 2x III Ext, 530EX II, 430EX II, Lowepro Rolling Computrekker AW, Fastpack 200, Think Tank Holster 50, Cotton Carrier, Manfrotto 190XPROB w/ 222Joystick head.
Website (external link)

Socket7
120 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 30, 2009 20:16 |  #7

It came with the camera, it's powerful enough for my needs, and it exports to Photoshop when it's features aren't enough.

The Fool on the hill
My Flickr stream (external link)

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 30, 2009 22:21 |  #8

For the weekend warrior or hobbyist - it is a great tool to use.
Not that pros can't or won't use it - DPP lacks the workflow of a LR2-for example.

DPP is good to get started in the RAW world. But once you start seeing the amount of photos we can generate over a years time - DPP does not help in file management.

I have come to appreciate LR2 Data management portion tied in w/ keyword and meta data.

DPP is a good program - if it works for you .... then we have a winner.
It is a matter of personal preference and what you want to do.

just my 2 cents

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 30, 2009 23:14 |  #9

I have CS4 and still use DPP for RAW conversion because I think it does the best job.

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 01, 2009 12:06 |  #10

I feel DPP handles colors better than any of the other Raw convertors I've used. ACR takes a bit of work to get the colors back to my initial in-camera settings which is redundant work.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,096 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 01, 2009 12:27 |  #11

DPP really is good at what it does..., it's only draw back is the interface and speed are not up to par and it has far fewer tools and feature.

Still for free (comes with your camera) you get a tool that can still offer the best RAW conversion available if your willing to work with it.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Jim ­ M
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 01, 2009 12:57 |  #12

I use DPP as well, then tweak with Elements. I started using DPP rather than ARC because I thought it did a better job than ARC. Now I am just crazy about the speed advantage of DPP. If I just batch processed to JPEGs without any individual adjustments, then ARC/Elements does a decent and speedy enough job, but I want to look at and adjust each image separately. DPP is much faster unless I am missing something in ARC. I tweak each image, then use DPPs batch processing, and go do something else while my computer churns away. Granted, not everyone wants to mess with 500 to 1,000 images a week. The only thing I really wish I could do in DPP that I can do in ARC is straighten the horizons. I suppose I could also learn to hold a camera straight in the heat of battle, so to speak, but in about 50 years of shooting, I haven't managed it yet.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 01, 2009 13:22 |  #13

Jim,

Yes, the crop tool needs to include that. Then DPP would be perfect in my book.

In some areas it is already too advanced, it should stick to being an excellent RAW converter and leave the fancy stuff to PS.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

MikeES
548 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 01, 2009 13:35 |  #14

+1 for the horizon straightening...add dodging and burning and I'd be in love ;-)a

Mike (external link)
1D X | White Kiss X7 | White 40 F2.8 Pancake | 50 F1.2L | 100 F2.8L IS Macro | 300 F4L IS | 11-24 F4L | 24-70 F2.8L II | 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Σ 150-600 OS Sport
580EXII | AB1600 | ABR800 | 1.4x II | Lee SW150 II | Kenko DG Tubes

Luvntravln
328 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 01, 2009 13:49 as a reply to  @ MikeES's post |  #15

Hi

Does anyone go from DPP to LR2 for file management and additional tweaks and then to PS for final finishes if necessary?

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

sponsored links

2,585 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why use Canon software such as DPP?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.