Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kacey Enterprises Unveils New Beauty Dish & Flash Bracket

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 01, 2009 08:08 as a reply to  @ post 7836733 |  #136

im just thinking dual purpose. its great to have the set of with a speedlight for location shoots. then when you get home and lets say next day your going to do some inside studio shots, just slide it off the speedlight stand and remount to your AB.......thats what im looking to do.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 01, 2009 10:25 |  #137

slowdad wrote in post #7837373 (external link)
im just thinking dual purpose. its great to have the set of with a speedlight for location shoots. then when you get home and lets say next day your going to do some inside studio shots, just slide it off the speedlight stand and remount to your AB.......thats what im looking to do.

This will work great for you then.....

Kacey Enterprises (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 01, 2009 11:15 |  #138

J Kacey wrote in post #7835178 (external link)
Why not just attach a softbox to my bracket using the new Kacey Universal SoftBox Ring?
My bracket is strong and can support even the largest of Boxes

QUOTED IMAGE

I am bit confused. That gray metal speed ring, is that from AB? How does the bracket attach to it? I can see 2 screws but that would require holes in the speed ring. Or the speed ring is from you?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 01, 2009 11:36 |  #139

Hmmm, now I'm confused.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 01, 2009 11:47 as a reply to  @ Jannie's post |  #140

Wow, people are getting confused for no reason. It's pretty simple.

Jerry has a new product he's introducing. It's a speedring that has been fabricated and will come with hardware to work with his flash bracket. That same bracket can be used for his beauty dish.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 01, 2009 11:55 |  #141

J Kacey wrote in post #7835178 (external link)
Why not just attach a softbox to my bracket using the new Kacey Universal SoftBox Ring?
My bracket is strong and can support even the largest of Boxes

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

I see another advantage to your setup. Most DIY speedlight softbox mods only attach to the bottom of the speedring with one bolt. Then the softbox would sag forward and down. This occurs with my Alzo mount. Since your setup bolts to the whole circumference of the speedring, it's held on more securely and the softbox will not sag. I think you may have created the perfect solution for speedlight softbox mounting. Nice.

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

JasonL
51 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 01, 2009 12:30 |  #142

Very nice. The light pattern is much more pleasing than the PCB dish.

epatt250
769 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 01, 2009 13:22 |  #143

I would love to see an image setup with the PCB dish like above except with the standard mount vs the Kacey BD mount, same pcb dish.

Gear- Why do you care? If my image is good it's good, if it sucks it sucks. It's most likely my own fault.
www.elipattersonphoto.​com (external link)

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 01, 2009 14:01 |  #144

epatt250 wrote in post #7839034 (external link)
I would love to see an image setup with the PCB dish like above except with the standard mount vs the Kacey BD mount, same pcb dish.

Sorry I'm not understanding what you are asking for...

epatt250
769 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 01, 2009 14:17 |  #145

J Kacey wrote in post #7839246 (external link)
Sorry I'm not understanding what you are asking for...

I would like to see the difference your mounting plate makes vs the standard one. Or is your mounting plate only for the speedotron and not the PCB dish? I thought I read on a forum somewhere that your mounting plate also got the flash tube out into the dish better on the PCB dish as well.

Gear- Why do you care? If my image is good it's good, if it sucks it sucks. It's most likely my own fault.
www.elipattersonphoto.​com (external link)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 01, 2009 14:29 |  #146

I think I just got it regarding my confusion. Being only into digital stills for less than two years, I only have two Elinchrom Rotolux Octoboxes and their 17" beauty dish. They have a completely different type of speed ring than what you show.

I'm trying to figure this out though because if I understand this right, I should have a lot of choices in softboxes with your adaptor so I'll check into something that will cross over between my Elinchrom in a small Octabox or Softbox. Thanks for your patience.

Ms.Jannie

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 01, 2009 15:00 |  #147

Kacey what size and model of softbox is it that you have shown in the photo above and does it have the choice of 2 diffusers? Thanks for the Paypal feedback.

Ms.Jannie

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 01, 2009 15:07 |  #148

Jannie wrote in post #7839564 (external link)
Kacey what size and model of softbox is it that you have shown in the photo above and does it have the choice of 2 diffusers? Thanks for the Paypal feedback.

Hello Jannie it a 24 x 36 PCB Softbox
http://www.alienbees.c​om/softboxes_detail.ht​ml (external link)
Yes it has inner and outer diffusers

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 01, 2009 15:29 |  #149

TMR Design wrote in post #7838522 (external link)
Wow, people are getting confused for no reason. It's pretty simple.

Jerry has a new product he's introducing. It's a speedring that has been fabricated and will come with hardware to work with his flash bracket. That same bracket can be used for his beauty dish.

Robert,

Sorry if this is obvious. If that speed ring is from Jerry then how do I attach my pgotoflex sofbox to it? I have to remove my photoflex speed ring and use this ring? This is causing my confusion?

How does this help compared to say the bracket you have to attach your SB?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 01, 2009 15:45 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #150

Hi Bobby,

This is how the product works.

The component that the speed ring attaches to is a vertical adjustment plate that has a ring on it with mounting holes. The speed ring has been made with mounting holes that align to those on the plate.

To mount a Photoflex or any standard softbox you mount Jerry's speed ring to the vertical adjustment plate and then construct the softbox to that speed ring rather than the manufacturer's speed ring. Then the whole assembly attaches to Jerry's flash bracket with one wing nut and the height is adjusted to align the flash within the opening of the speed ring.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links

92,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kacey Enterprises Unveils New Beauty Dish & Flash Bracket
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.