Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 01 May 2009 (Friday) 12:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Macbook for Two?

lildexmom
258 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 01, 2009 12:46 |  #1

Right now my husband and I can not affor to buy two Macs, I want one so that I can get beyond PSE 6.0 with Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom and my husband is interested in the Garageband and 1 or 2 other music programs for the Macs.

We have othe PC's in our home for surfing the web and other small time stuff but we are trying to figure out if one macbook with the right specs could allow us both to do what we want to do until we can afford another Mac.

Here is one from Best Buy that fits our curent budget - http://www.bestbuy.com …uct&cp=1&id=121​8024598155 (external link)

Would this be a reasonable choice or do we need to step up on the specs?

I have a one year old gateway that is a running on a 32bit Vista home premium OS (2gb ram). I had a student version of CS3 and LightRoom installed on it yesturday and it seems like its going to run quite slow - do you know of any options I have for getting it to run faster or should I give up on the idea of running CS3 and LightRoom on my Gateway?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice you care to share ~:confused:

Canon ~ 7D, 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS,
and, 430EX ll

sponsored links
ukactionsports
435 posts
Joined May 2005

May 01, 2009 13:00 |  #2

I love Macs (and have used them for several years) but the only question that springs to mind is how long will it take before you'll get another one? Only reason I ask is because you plan to use it with applications that both love to eat memory and you'll soon eat through the 160Gb drive in the spec your looking at. I would look at more memory and as much RAM as you can.

Tim

1D MKIII - 5D MKII - 135L - 24-105L - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 300L f4 IS - EX 580II
flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 01, 2009 13:03 |  #3

Be aware that you cannot run PSCS4 on both a Mac and a PC on one licence: The PS licence is platform specific (unlike LR2 for instance)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Subimatt
522 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 01, 2009 13:03 |  #4

do you need it to be a laptop, if your looking at macs, what about an imac? more memory, storage, and fast.

5D2 x3,5Dc,60D,40D,16-35LII,24-70L,70-200L 2.8IS,15 FE,24LII,35L,45TSE,50Lx2,85LII,100L Macro,135L,580exII x5
BLOG (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)
Facebook! (external link)

lildexmom
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 01, 2009 13:20 as a reply to  @ Subimatt's post |  #5

Yeah we need the Mac to be a laptop because of the limited space in our home and the fact that my husband does his music thing in the basement and I need to be able to go off to a quiet place in the house when its my turn to use it - :rolleyes:

Music and Photography are just hobbies for both of us and I dont think either one of us would be hogging the use of the Mac since we have other PC's in our home for general stuff.

I dont think it would be more than 6-9 months before we could afford to buy another one its just that he has been dying to have one for the music and now I am about to start this class for Photoshop and so we both have a things we are wanting to do from time to time that would be better done on a MAC.

Will the one I have the link to allow us both to run our programs properly? how much more RAM would we need.

and, 430EX ll

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2009 13:47 |  #6

It's a little on the slower side, but it will do fine as long as you're not into really big multilayer images in Photoshop or big musical scores in Logic. I would bump up the RAM to 4GB though.

briancmo
830 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 01, 2009 13:56 |  #7

I've been running photoshop and lightroom on a dual core 1.6 with 2 gigs of ddr2 ram - i'm sure this MAC will blow mine out of the water and will be fine for 99% of the work you're doing. Unless you're making HUGE DETAILED edits blowing up to poster size at 300DPI, this mac will be fine the way it is - though would be nicer to have a bigger screen than 13.3 inches

my $0.01 cents

Brian
CANON 5D, CANON XTI
24-70L, 430ex,
www.brianmosoff.com (external link)

lildexmom
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 01, 2009 14:12 as a reply to  @ briancmo's post |  #8

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions, I am thinking the second Mac we get later this year will be for me and I will definately get a larger screen but due to limited space it will more than likely be a laptop as well.

I just dont want to walk out of a store this weekend with a Mac that does not have enough power to do what we need it to do.

Is there any way I can get Photoshop and Lightroom to run on my 32 bit Vista OS faster?

Right now I have a 30 day student trial installed and would not do a full version install on it until I know wether or not I will have a Mac that can handle all that we want to do.

and, 430EX ll

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2009 14:24 |  #9

lildexmom wrote in post #7839296 (external link)
Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions, I am thinking the second Mac we get later this year will be for me and I will definately get a larger screen but due to limited space it will more than likely be a laptop as well.

I just dont want to walk out of a store this weekend with a Mac that does not have enough power to do what we need it to do.

Is there any way I can get Photoshop and Lightroom to run on my 32 bit Vista OS faster?

Right now I have a 30 day student trial installed and would not do a full version install on it until I know wether or not I will have a Mac that can handle all that we want to do.

There are some things that will help overall system performance, but there is very little you can do to Photoshop itself to increase speed. Assigning a scratch disk and increasing the amount of RAM they use will increase performance only so much.

These will all help a little...

1) Defrag
2) Clear up space if you have less than 5GB left on the OS drive.
3) Run CCleaner
4) Upgrade to 4GB RAM (3GB is the optimal speed gain for 32bit OS - after than not so much)
5) Update Photoshop/Lightroom
6) Maybe your computer will allow you to upgrade the CPU - see what the max speed your motherboard will take. CPUs run $50-$300 and can really boost your speed, maybe even double it. It could even extend the life of the PC for another couple of years.

lildexmom
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 01, 2009 14:31 as a reply to  @ MaxxuM's post |  #10

Thanks Maxxum, I am going to try some of your suggestions, I am not too computer savvy but i will try to get some one to help me with this ASAP, I would much rather make better use of this Gateway I have than "chuck it" on Craiglist.

and, 430EX ll

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2009 14:40 |  #11

Tell us what the model is and we can look it up and see if it can be upgraded. It should be in the front of the case.

lildexmom
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 01, 2009 15:00 as a reply to  @ MaxxuM's post |  #12

I should be home from work in about an hour and then I will be able to check/post the model number and specs, thank you ~

and, 430EX ll

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

May 01, 2009 15:48 |  #13

The MacBook you are looking at is the one I ended up with for the wife's studio. It replaced a 5 year old eMachine laptop. I don't run Photoshop on it so I can't help there but I can tell you the memory upgrade to 4 gig was a snap and cost $53 from Newegg.com using Crucial memory.

I also bought it with the intention to eventually switch to all Mac in the house and run Photoshop on it when on the road. I can't see why it wouldn't be just fine for most simple stuff. Of course it will need a tablet added to it too.:lol:

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

grimm5577
104 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 01, 2009 15:55 |  #14

look into a re-furbished or closeout mac. I purchased my 15" powerbook at the end of 08 it was a closeout (last years version) and i got it for less than the one you are looking at, with a 4gb RAM upgrade and the 3 year service plan. Tekserve in NYC is a great resource with knowledgable staff, but you can also find them on apples site as well. I would stay away from mac mall though. also last years model comes with a matte screen making it easier for us photographers to view and edit photos with out any glare.

Photoshop opens in 8sec on my mac, and runs great. lightroom has a tendency to slow it down a little but i am being ultra critical here. (ie still faster than a PC)

5DMKII | 40D Gripped EF-D | 10-22 mm F3.5-4.5 | 70-200mm F2.8L | 50mm F1.8 II | 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 | 2x Speedlite 430EX II | Lens Baby 2.0 | Kenko Extension Tubes

Photography.cdlstudios.com (external link)

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 01, 2009 16:14 |  #15

You can the phased out generation 20" iMac on clearance for about $1000 ($949 edu). I have that one at work. Just buy the 4G RAM kit from Crucial and you're set.

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,377 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Macbook for Two?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.