Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 30 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 18:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

XP or Vista 64

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 01, 2009 14:51 |  #31

My biggest hesitation in moving to Vista is software compatibility. I have a couple of programs I am currently running on XP that I will not be able to run on Vista because of driver signing issues. I also have at least one program I am running that will require me to update to the newest version at an expense, even though the newer version offers me no additional functionality.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

sponsored links
Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 01, 2009 15:04 |  #32

Vista requires drivers, not programs, to be digitally signed.

I have not yet - in 3 entire weeks - found a program that won't run under Vista. Twice I've had to set programs to run in XP compatibility mode, but that's it. And if you check the posts above, I'm kinda known for running very old software. (If it works, why learn something new?)

Are you *sure* that they won't run, or are you worried that they won't run?

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 01, 2009 15:14 |  #33

A program that doesn't run under Vista is not "because" of Vista, it's because the developer of said program is still clinging to DOS/16 bit.

Only one program so far for me. Wolfenstein. I just run it on my iPhone instead. ;)

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 01, 2009 16:24 |  #34

Scottes wrote in post #7837336 (external link)
After 7-ish years of running XP, I am 3 weeks into Vista and feel that it's a superior OS.

It seems not so long ago that I was warned not to replace "98 2nd E" for XP. I did anyway and found XP the better OS for sure. I bought Vista Ultimate not long after it came out, it was big trouble from the start. Finally I had to format the drives and reinstall XP. I lost a lot of data some of which I hadn't yet backuped. I complained to MS and they sent me a brand new Vista Ultimate which I sold on eBay and recovered some of my expences from formatting, etc. I have a laptop I got just over a year ago and Vista was the only OS it was made with. Surprisely (to me) it was wonderfull. What ever problems MS had seemed to be fixed. I just got a new desktop and it, of course, runs Vista. I really like it better than XP.

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 01, 2009 17:32 |  #35

islandboy wrote in post #7839509 (external link)
My biggest hesitation in moving to Vista is software compatibility. I have a couple of programs I am currently running on XP that I will not be able to run on Vista because of driver signing issues. I also have at least one program I am running that will require me to update to the newest version at an expense, even though the newer version offers me no additional functionality.

Windows 7 will be out in beta in a few days, it has an XP mode.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 01, 2009 17:33 |  #36

And then the masses will say "Oh SEE, it doesn't have a Vista mode!" Vista must be bad.

Again, 16 bit...

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 01, 2009 17:44 |  #37

Another vote of confidence for Vista x64. By far a better experience with it than my previous multiple installs of WinXP.

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 01, 2009 18:51 |  #38

tim wrote in post #7840393 (external link)
Windows 7 will be out in beta in a few days, it has an XP mode.

Wow, that's all I can say, except for, wonderful. Any maybe fantastic.

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 01, 2009 19:14 |  #39

XP Mode sounds great, but I suppose it's a 'wait and see' feature.

http://www.pcworld.com …not_work_on_man​y_pcs.html (external link)

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

May 02, 2009 02:43 |  #40

Something that no one has brought up regarding Vista.

Vista x86 and x64 are different, very different under the hood. This is for two main reasons:

1) Kernel Guard/Patch, an additional security layer that helps protect the kernel from rogue programs.
2) Driver Signing is mandatory. In x86 it's optional. This is one of the main reasons why x64 is far more stable compared to x86.

x64 from what I've read is more akin to a server model than a desktop. Whilst the user experience is the same, how x64 handles memory and sub-systems is a lot better. This is why x64 is generally regarded better than x86. It's also generally more stable.

Oh and Vista SP2 has given me some slight speed improvements. Thought that's probably more from the fact I wiped the HD and slipstreamed it into the Vista install.

In general Vista is a far more secure OS. It was designed to be hardened at the design stage, unlike XP which was designed in a far less hostile environ. Most of the security features added to XP are hacks and patches which is the mean reason for it being such a security nightmare to maintain.

One of the great features of Vista over XP is the search function in the Start bar, the amount of people that search for apps by click the start menu sub-sections is amazing. In practice all you have to do is type in Photoshop and it will show all variants of the application, then click on it. This can be applied to any document or application. It's akin to Gnome Do or Silverlight in some ways.

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

May 02, 2009 02:51 |  #41

deletedpenguin wrote in post #7840864 (external link)
XP Mode sounds great, but I suppose it's a 'wait and see' feature.

XP mode is a virtualised environment which means you are running two OS on one computer. This means it's very resource intensive. You need at least 2Gb (4Gb preferable at minimum) and a Dual Core processor with Virtualisation support. At the moment AMD is still pretty much dominates the VM market but that's an aside. If you're going to run a VM then Tri or Quad core is what I'd recommend with 8Gb of RAM. You'd dedicate 1 core and 1-2Gb of RAM to the guest OS leaving the rest of the resources to the host.

It's not designed for heavy duty applications or gaming. It's designed for older applications that have been poorly coded or maintained. In other words a lot of business applications.

To be honest if you're interested in this mode then you're better off getting VMWare Workstation and use it's Unity mode which would be 'transparent' to the user...

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 02, 2009 09:18 |  #42

Faolan wrote in post #7842764 (external link)
Vista x86 and x64 are different, very different under the hood.

Perhaps that explains my experience I wrote about in Post #34. The first time it was a 32 bit version and, the two Vista OS I'm now using, without major problems, are 64 bit.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 02, 2009 12:44 as a reply to  @ jr_senator's post |  #43

Only program I have not been able to use was Symantec PC Anywhere (an older version, I think 10) that my wife uses to get on her work computers from home. It WILL NOT install. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

Marius ­ B
555 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2009 17:05 |  #44

Don't wanna hijack the thread, but if I buy a new computer 64 bit, do I need a new version of PS CS4?

www.bottolfsen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)®
Facebook (external link)

5D MKII, 5D, EF 17-40, EF 24-70, EF 70-200 f2,8 IS, EF 35 f1.4, EF 100 f2.8 IS

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 02, 2009 17:34 |  #45

Marius B wrote in post #7845657 (external link)
Don't wanna hijack the thread, but if I buy a new computer 64 bit, do I need a new version of PS CS4?

You don't NEED a 64bit version - it'll still run 32 versions, but you're just not taking full advantage of the speed of your processor.

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
XP or Vista 64
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.