Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 May 2009 (Friday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Might not be a problem

boog69
187 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 01, 2009 19:56 |  #1

I've got a quick question. I was keeping up with a post and someone mentioned about editing from lightroom to PS and the differences in the color space(prophoto rgb vs. srgb). My question is after I save in PS and it saves in lightroom, my color profile will still be prophoto rgb? I have to change the color profile on export. The only thing that should have been messed up was the way my pics looked in PS with the different color profile assigned. Is this right or way off base? Thanks.

Canon 40D, Canon 20D, Panasonic FZ-30, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-300 IS, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 50 1.8 MK I, Canon 550 EX flash. Wishing for 135L:D !!!

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 01, 2009 20:08 |  #2

Lightroom will set a color space to your preferences. In Edit/Preferences, click the External Editing tab and you can choose options for both Photoshop and another external editor. You also choose the Color Space for Exporting an image into, say, a jpeg.

In Photoshop you then set up your color space handling options. In Edit/Color Settings you tell PS how to handle the color space when it opens the image.

Different people do things differently. I let PS keep my files in ProPhoto RGB when opened from Lightroom and just convert to sRGB for jpeg conversion, but that's just how I've done things for a long time. For those new to color space handling, have Lightroom convert to sRBG and PS set to sRGB and you will be trouble free, with a smidge less "palette" to work with but not so you'd notice.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,643 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 07, 2009 01:04 |  #3

Hi Tony (and everyone else), I hope you don't mind me resurrecting a slightly old thread to ask a couple of questions. I haven't used Lightroom, but have been reading a bit about it, and intend to download the trial shortly.

tonylong wrote in post #7841123 (external link)
I let PS keep my files in ProPhoto RGB when opened from Lightroom and just convert to sRGB for jpeg conversion, but that's just how I've done things for a long time.

What's your favoured method for managing out-of-gamut colours during the sRGB conversion? Do you use soft-proofing/gamut warning to identify problem colours, then desaturate slightly?

tonylong wrote in post #7841123 (external link)
For those new to color space handling, have Lightroom convert to sRBG and PS set to sRGB and you will be trouble free, with a smidge less "palette" to work with but not so you'd notice.

I've been reading lots of threads suggesting that despite setting up for an sRGB export, Lightroom stubbornly persists with its ProPhotoRGB histogram, which results in unexpected channel clipping when exporting to sRGB. Is this true, and how should a newbie handle this problem?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 07, 2009 04:19 |  #4

Damo77 wrote in post #7873643 (external link)
Is this true, and how should a newbie handle this problem?

Yes.
Use your eyes. Your screen is about sRGB as well ;)
If you have a Wide Gamut screen it gets more of a problem, and even on a "regular" screen it can be a pain in the neck though. I'd love an option "sRGB histogram"...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Damo77
Goldmember
4,643 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 07, 2009 05:09 |  #5

René Damkot wrote in post #7874087 (external link)
Use your eyes. Your screen is about sRGB as well ;)

LOL! I must admit I'd hoped for a more ... um, technical answer.

René Damkot wrote in post #7874087 (external link)
I'd love an option "sRGB histogram"...

Yes, I'm gobsmacked that it doesn't exist! If ACR can do it ...

Damien

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 07, 2009 05:30 |  #6

Yes, I'm gobsmacked that it doesn't exist! If ACR can do it ...

Hell, even DPP redraws the RGB histogram when you change the output space.

how should a newbie handle this problem?

Hold our hands and join us in prayer that Adobe will soon get their collective head out of their fat collective .....

Elie / אלי

Damo77
Goldmember
4,643 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 07, 2009 16:25 |  #7

Thanks for all your answers to my second question. What about this one?

Damo77 wrote in post #7873643 (external link)
What's your favoured method for managing out-of-gamut colours during the sRGB conversion? Do you use soft-proofing/gamut warning to identify problem colours, then desaturate slightly?

The above would be the method I'd use. Are there any other tricks I don't know about?

Wouldn't it be cool if somebody could create an "sRGBv2" which includes perceptual rendering intent? I know it would be bigger, but if we could convert from larger spaces to this version with perceptual intent, then assign regular sRGB, that would be SWEET!

Damien

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 08, 2009 06:19 |  #8

Somebody did ;)

Link (external link)

Not sure if it'd work though.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

839 views & 0 likes for this thread
Might not be a problem
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.