Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 30 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 18:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

XP or Vista 64

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 02, 2009 20:28 |  #46

Marius B wrote in post #7845657 (external link)
Don't wanna hijack the thread, but if I buy a new computer 64 bit, do I need a new version of PS CS4?

I'm pretty sure the installer has both versions on it. If so it'll automatically install the 64 bit version first then the 32 bit in Vista x86 Directory. Which is a good thing when needed as a lot of the software companies have yet to release 64 bit support for their plug-ins.

sponsored links
Marius ­ B
555 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 03, 2009 03:30 as a reply to  @ Tsmith's post |  #47

Ok, thanks for the info :)

www.bottolfsen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)®
Facebook (external link)

5D MKII, 5D, EF 17-40, EF 24-70, EF 70-200 f2,8 IS, EF 35 f1.4, EF 100 f2.8 IS

scottoliver
85 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 04, 2009 08:03 as a reply to  @ Marius B's post |  #48

I had been running Vista Ultimate 32-bit on my main machine with 2GB of RAM pretty much since it came out. It ran pretty well for me, but I decided I wanted more RAM. A few weeks ago, I got 4 more GB of RAM, stuck them in, and wiped the boot drive and installed Vista Ultimate x64. It runs a lot better than 32-bit Vista.

The only compatibility issue I had was an old webcam. A $30 Logitech cam at Target fixed that. When Vista came out, many manufacturers didn't have x64 drivers yet. They do now, and I've been pleased with the x64 experience so far.

Canon 70D | XSi/450D | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 | Canon EF 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | My Photo Site (external link)

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

May 04, 2009 08:28 |  #49

Tsmith wrote in post #7846604 (external link)
I'm pretty sure the installer has both versions on it.

It does and installs both the x64 and x86 on your system into the respective directories with no issues.

It's nice to have Photoshop with 16Gb of RAM :D

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 04, 2009 08:58 |  #50

Faolan wrote in post #7854753 (external link)
It's nice to have Photoshop with 16Gb of RAM :D

I just got my new, 64 bit, computer a couple weeks ago. One of the things I hoped for was a faster PhotoShop. I ordered it with 6GB RAM because of cost. I was offered up to 16GB. There is one slot open to receive RAM. In light of what I hear on this forum I think I will add another 4GB when I get a few spare bucks. I don't know how much difference it will make. I have not installed PS as yet because I'm waiting to have another HD installed to accommodate it and it's scratch disc. I'm already using RAID 0 and that should help some.

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 04, 2009 09:13 |  #51

It was on my old Opteron workstation that bit the dust a month or so back, the mainboard fizzled out. Still got the processors and the RAM, just no way to use them at the mo. :(

Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 04, 2009 10:04 |  #52

Scottes wrote in post #7839584 (external link)
Vista requires drivers, not programs, to be digitally signed.

I have not yet - in 3 entire weeks - found a program that won't run under Vista. Twice I've had to set programs to run in XP compatibility mode, but that's it. And if you check the posts above, I'm kinda known for running very old software. (If it works, why learn something new?)

Are you *sure* that they won't run, or are you worried that they won't run?

I am sure they won't run. There was a disclaimer on the website when I purchased the software. Unfortunately, at least for one program, it is the only one I've found to do the work I need it to. When I do get a new machine, I will likely keep my old computer as a spare with that computer running the couple of additional programs I need.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 09, 2009 18:46 as a reply to  @ islandboy's post |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

Keep in mind everyone...If you're running XP and want to upgrade to Windows 7 it will require a "clean" install. When running Vista you can upgrade directly from within the OS. Upgrading from Windows 7 beta or RC? Again "clean" install (short of a few goofy workarounds).

Dave

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 09, 2009 19:03 as a reply to  @ Bakewell's post |  #54
bannedPermanent ban

One other thing...If your going to run Windows 7 in XP mode be sure your CPU is capable of virtualization AND turned on from within the BIOS.

Dave

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 09, 2009 19:13 as a reply to  @ Bakewell's post |  #55

I use Vista 64 bit and I ray like it. However it does have a few drawbacks. Well it is not actually vista 64 that is the problem.
When I got my 1D mkII I found out real quick that my camera would not connect to my computer.
It came with 1394 ports on it but when I tried to connect my camera to it via fire wire I get the " this environment is not supported" message. I called canon and they have no intention of creating a driver for this. It may not apply to you but just something that you may want to take into account.
I also got CS4 and in combination with vista 64 it is a processing machine.
Congrats on your new computer.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 09, 2009 19:14 |  #56

Bakewell wrote in post #7890242 (external link)
One other thing...If your going to run Windows 7 in XP mode be sure your CPU is capable of virtualization AND turned on from within the BIOS.

Could you explain that on an eight year old's level? My grandson doesn't understand.

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 10, 2009 02:50 |  #57

jr_senator wrote in post #7890289 (external link)
Could you explain that on an eight year old's level? My grandson doesn't understand.

AMD-V and Intel-VT are instruction sets to enable a Virtual Machine (VM) to run faster/efficiently. Nothing more or less. It's server tech trickling down to the desktop.

Intel unlike AMD haven't included it on all of their chips and there's no real rhyme nor reason for this except to 'make' SKUs. AMD on the other hand has AMD-V on all chips except some of the lower end processors (Sempron/Turions)

If you're interested in finding out which Intel processors have VT visit here:

http://blogs.zdnet.com​/Bott/?p=946 (external link)

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2009 09:02 |  #58

midnight_rider wrote in post #7890283 (external link)
I use Vista 64 bit and I ray like it. However it does have a few drawbacks. Well it is not actually vista 64 that is the problem.
When I got my 1D mkII I found out real quick that my camera would not connect to my computer.
It came with 1394 ports on it but when I tried to connect my camera to it via fire wire I get the " this environment is not supported" message. I called canon and they have no intention of creating a driver for this. It may not apply to you but just something that you may want to take into account.
I also got CS4 and in combination with vista 64 it is a processing machine.
Congrats on your new computer.

There have been several threads on this recently and people have got the MKII and MKIIns to work just fine.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,771 posts
Gallery: 241 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

May 10, 2009 09:58 |  #59

jr_senator wrote in post #7890289 (external link)

Faolan wrote in post #7891884 (external link)
AMD-V and Intel-VT are instruction sets to enable a Virtual Machine (VM) to run faster/efficiently. Nothing more or less. It's server tech trickling down to the desktop.

Intel unlike AMD haven't included it on all of their chips and there's no real rhyme nor reason for this except to 'make' SKUs. AMD on the other hand has AMD-V on all chips except some of the lower end processors (Sempron/Turions)

If you're interested in finding out which Intel processors have VT visit here:

http://blogs.zdnet.com​/Bott/?p=946 (external link)

:lol::lol::lol: Not sure if that was intelligible for an 8 year old! :p

Let's say that you have an old piece of software designed for XP. If you need to use it, your computer has to simulate all of the operating parameters of a PC loaded with XP in order to fool the software in to running. So, what Bakewell was advising is that a) not all CPUs have this capability and b) of those that DO have the capability, you may need to poke around a bit to turn that capability on.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 10, 2009 10:01 |  #60

In2Photos wrote in post #7892681 (external link)
There have been several threads on this recently and people have got the MKII and MKIIns to work just fine.

I searched several times and always came up empty handed. I have even asked several members and all the canon links were for 32 bit.
Could you post a link for me please. It would help me out a lot.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

sponsored links

5,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
XP or Vista 64
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.