Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 May 2009 (Monday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MKIII, this is hard!

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 04, 2009 19:32 |  #16

I hope they got the shot LOL.

Yeah, the IDMKIII just sings in my hands, I've used the 1DsMKIII a little and it wasn't the same. I can't declare that I really need that many MP or that they would actually buy me anything more than an a very expensive camera. Getting the MKIII will be tough enough if I can even pull it off but I've thought about it a lot and it just seems to make sense.

I used the 24-70 a lot on the MKIII I had to use for two months and thought it ideal and never felt the need to go wider but I'm not a wide nut anyway, it's just that when it comes to buildings you need to be able to get wide but it really does make me think of renting if I actually need one that badly.

I just don't have the money to spare without selling something so I'm walking around here looking at everything as I downsize, hoping to do this. I could have held back on lighting gear but that's money well spent too.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links
MinhThien
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 04, 2009 19:36 |  #17

Jannie wrote in post #7858464 (external link)
I hope they got the shot LOL.

Yeah, the IDMKIII just sings in my hands, I've used the 1DsMKIII a little and it wasn't the same. I can't declare that I really need that many MP or that they would actually buy me anything more than an a very expensive camera. Getting the MKIII will be tough enough if I can even pull it off but I've thought about it a lot and it just seems to make sense.

I used the 24-70 a lot on the MKIII I had to use for two months and thought it ideal and never felt the need to go wider but I'm not a wide nut anyway, it's just that when it comes to buildings you need to be able to get wide but it really does make me think of renting if I actually need one that badly.

I just don't have the money to spare without selling something so I'm walking around here looking at everything as I downsize, hoping to do this. I could have held back on lighting gear but that's money well spent too.

Ms. Jannie you been drooling over this body for the past 4-6 months now I think you should go for it! Now about the lens, you can change it one at a time. Do what make you happy and the 1D3 is clearly will make you happy! Good luck Ms. Jannie!:)

Eric
5D IV | 35L II | 200L IS | 85L II | 430EX | 190CXPRO4 | 498RC2 | TT Streetwalker Roller| TT Restro 7 | F-stop Kenti |

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 04, 2009 19:47 |  #18

As someone who owns a 1D Mark III and more recently a 5D as well I can highly recommend both. For portraits/landscape the 5D has become my go to camera and the 1D Mark III is for everything else - they compliment each other very well.

I guess you have to ask yourself, what will the 1D Mark III do better for your type of photography than the 5D?

From what you have said above I'd keep the 5D and your fine collection of lenses rather than get rid of some of the lenses for a new body.

Black Shadow Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link) Twitter (external link)
Gear List Myspace (external link)

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 04, 2009 20:40 |  #19

Well Blkshadow that's what I'd like to do but don't have the money...Yet!

I'd be a little easier if one or two of my lenses weren't as good as the others but they all are right on, just got the 35L back from calibration and it's right there too. Dang this is hard but it'll work out, it's not like I don't have something good to work with now.

Ms.Jannie

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,159 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 04, 2009 23:59 |  #20

echo wrote in post #7858048 (external link)
I love the 35L on the 1.3 crop, it makes a really nice standard lens. The 85L on the 1.3 is, to my taste, perfect.

Not being funny but wouldn't the 1Ds mkIII be better suited? I only ask as you like the 1 Series bodies (and who wouldn't?). 5D mkII would also be a great contender, not as slow as all that and exceptional IQ.

:)

i'd have to say: yes :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 05, 2009 00:20 |  #21

basroil wrote in post #7858462 (external link)
I've done it at 10fps ;)

Bracketed exposure mind you, w/o tripod, but don't judge unless you know there is something wrong.

Completely agree with you. Hand held AEB requires good fps!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

Zebceponaf
538 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 05, 2009 01:13 |  #22

MinhThien wrote in post #7857343 (external link)
+1, When I had my 1d3 the 35L was perfect on it! Now the 35L on my 5d2 is so wide I have to crop and crop(Thanks for the 21mp) the picture unless I am very close to the subject!

That's why we have feet.

My Site (external link)
---------------
gear stuff here

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 05, 2009 01:51 |  #23

Just got home and downloaded over 600 frames I shot tonight for a promotional for a musical production, my eyes were sore and freaking regarding those darn outer focusing squares on my 5D, their placement compared to the MKIII and not being quite sure if the focus was right there. With the MKIII it's so positive and the outer squares are so right there in your vision, on the 5D they can be pretty faint just when you really need to know they are there. Fortunately I think I only lost two or three frames but I was shooting at 1600 and 3200 ISO and thinking a lot (when there was a moment to do so) about how the MKIII would have helped. But it went well, I spot checked the download and the 5D does really pull off something like that well, it would have been much easier with the MKIII though, I've enough experience with one to be sure of that and it's even a little better at higher ISO's something I don't think the 1DsMKIII is quite as good at. It was some fast and furious shooting, the musical director was all over the place and I just had to go with it. Fun but I'm tired.

Ms.Jannie

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

May 05, 2009 02:04 |  #24

Jannie, if you like the 1DIII, and you like the 5D, you will love the 1DsIII ! It's the obvious solution to your dilemma! I know it's a bit more than you wanted to spend, but you will be able to keep the lenses that you truly love, and won't lose any money on selling gear and reacquiring it again. Just a thought...

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

prinspaul
475 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 05, 2009 05:05 |  #25

the problem is that the 1DsIII is way(!) more expensive...what about the 1DsII?? ...or do you prefer the 1DIII for the ISO?

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 05, 2009 10:06 |  #26

Right now the MKIII is still too much money for me as far as I've figured it out. The 1DsIII is way out of the money range.

I seriously considered the 1DsII but it's the way the MKIII functions, all the buttons, the menu, the microadjust for the lenses is a big deal for me as is the dust rumoval system and that camera has neither. After looking at the idea of a 1DsII earlier on, I decided I'd just as soon stay with my 5D. The 5D also does a reasonable job at higher ISO's and I don't know if the 1DsII does that. Last night I had to shoot most everything at 1600 and 3200 on the 5D which is marginal but it'll work.

Ms.Jannie

prinspaul
475 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 05, 2009 15:53 |  #27

for ISO at 1600/3200 you are better of with the 5d...but the AF...I understand your dilemma very well

But stay rational please...you have expressed your love for the 1DIII....that body has so much to offer you need, indeed I woukdn't go with the 1DsII for only the AF then!

By the way; you have said you'll rent lenses if you need them (like for the book), but which of your lenses do you use the most and 'could' you get rid of some? 200L vs 70-200L for example?

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 05, 2009 17:14 |  #28

The 200L 2.8 could easily go, it's just a great lens but not one I need at all. I bought it because I got tired of walking around with my 70-200 2.8 and the 200L is so dog gone sharp, works fantastic with my 2x extender as well but even with all that, It's the lens I use the least and I've never actually "needed" it.

Last night I used my 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 ( I must have swapped lenses at least 30 times in the one hour that I was shooting) and on the longer one I definitely needed the IS, as I was sometimes shooting as low as 1/80th second which didn't freeze the dancers by any means so I had to wait for them to stop in their movements and hope to be steady.

I really love the 1.3 crop of the MKIII, and for some reason I'm steadier shooting at slow shutter speeds with both the 85L and 135L than I am with my 5D and a battery grip. I still practice shooting around my home in the evenings some times at 1/15th of a second wide open with both of these lenses just to keep my squeeze smooth on the shutter, and when I was using a MKIII, I was noticeably more steady which I thought was kind of weird but I liked the way the shutter button on the MKIII felt so that may have had something to do with it.

Ms.Jannie

prinspaul
475 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 05, 2009 17:27 |  #29

ok so you actually mean that if you become more "steady" even your 70-200 could go?? no way:p

if you get the 1DIII Id get rid of the 200 (to help funding it) because the 135L would be about 175mm anyway and a stop faster too...

roaming ­ oregon
157 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 05, 2009 19:27 |  #30

FWIW- I shoot mostly cycling and some portrait/lifestyle.

I'd ditch the 200 2.8- you already have the 70-200. I have the 14mm and use it often, just watch the flare- If I want flare and wide I always pull it out. If I don't want flare but still want wide I either have to fiddle with my strobes or put my hand in just the right spot (often I just bail on it and use a different lens.) I really want something like the 135 or 85 though...

I love my 1DMKIII but am now jonesing for the 1DsMKIII mostly cause when I'm shooting an event I want two bodies and think the 1Ds would be a perfect compliment.

www.jakespointofview.c​om (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=1193134&post​count=1020

sponsored links

3,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
MKIII, this is hard!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.