Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 06:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New CTR-301P flash triggers now available.

NesianStyle
74 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 28, 2009 23:38 |  #76

Got my ebay flash yesterday and attached the triggers and they work fantastically so far. No misfires at all.

Vivitar 285hv (external link)

sponsored links
lukeap69
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2009 02:14 |  #77

Muskydave22 wrote in post #7820156 (external link)
I am thinking about getting these triggers for my 540ez. i was also thinking of picking up a 430ez just for a second flash. Would i just be able to put the transmitter on the camera and put the flashes on the hot shoes of the receivers and be good to go? or do i need a hotshoe to pc sync cable or something like that?

dave

As Jeff said, you do not need any cable. Since most of the old Canon flashes do not have PC sync ports, these CTR-301 are nice (cheap) option for old speedlites.

Arnold
Speedlite / Speedlight / Sunpak 120J Beauty Dish Rig (external link)
Gear
my Google+ Profile (external link)

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 29, 2009 08:25 as a reply to  @ lukeap69's post |  #78

For those who has the Cactus v2s or PT-04 and the newer CTR-301P, is it true that this can also trigger those older Receivers? Has anyone tested this?

Mufutau

sdsviet
477 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 13:34 |  #79

mufutau55 wrote in post #7824851 (external link)
For those who has the Cactus v2s or PT-04 and the newer CTR-301P, is it true that this can also trigger those older Receivers? Has anyone tested this?

Mufutau

just got them in today and it took about 2 weeks. just tested them with my v2s and they do not trigger them at all. tried different code combinations too. doesnt seem to work. hopefully there's others that can add more validity to this claim.

| EOS 5D | EOS 40D | 24-70mm F2.8L | 85mm F1.8 | 580EX II w/Stofen | Sunpak RD2000 |
| My Blog (external link)|Ebay Feedback (external link)|Twitter (external link)

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 29, 2009 13:36 |  #80

Thanks for this update..

Mufutau

sdsviet wrote in post #7826471 (external link)
just got them in today and it took about 2 weeks. just tested them with my v2s and they do not trigger them at all. tried different code combinations too. doesnt seem to work. hopefully there's others that can add more validity to this claim.

sdsviet
477 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 13:41 |  #81

just did a quick non scientifical (hehe) test on them and they seemed to work like a charm. all i really did was pressing the button pretty quickly, so about 20 presses in about 10 secs and they all went off. both recievers worked perfectly. there was a weird double flash on one of them but i think it was think i hesitated on the press and kinding held it down for a split second. i also test my v2s and out 40 presses or so it misfired about 7-8 times. looks like im selling the v2s and keeping these. my very non scientifical tests has claimed a winner. haha

| EOS 5D | EOS 40D | 24-70mm F2.8L | 85mm F1.8 | 580EX II w/Stofen | Sunpak RD2000 |

sdsviet
477 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 14:00 |  #82

ok forgot to talk about products themselves buildwise. they are built really well. the finish on the plastic makes it looks like its of quality material. i have no clue the actual quality of the plastic but it does look better than the other stuff i've seen. compared to my v2's its isnt that much better because to me the v2's looks decently too but the v2's do look a little more plasticky due to the finish which is a little shiny but not on that too glossy deal. the transmitter shoe fits really tight into my 40d hotshoe. i have to force it a little bit and had to be careful because i was afraid it might break if i push it on a wrong point. the shoe on the transmitter is plastic so i didnt want to take any chances. its more of a snug fit than a tight fit where u need muscle it in. dont want to scare anyone.

the design on these ctr-301p triggers are so much better tho, especially being able to stand the flash up and staying stable. altho i wish the other end wasnt rounded because if the flash is heavy on that end it will tip over so ur force to turn the flash head towards the lcd back. many have talk about this, i'm just reiterating their claims. i might just glue something by the rounded end to make it not tip over. the screw for the bottom of the reciever is a good design since it makes it more universal but unfortunately for me i bought a bracket for my lightstand that had the cold shoe before i found out about these ctr's. now im forced to either buy another piece or mod it or something. dont know yet.

i also did another test and hopefully this helps some people. besides having a reason to upgrade my v2s since i was losing reliability with them on misfires, i also had conflicts with my phottix wireless shutter release. it seems that the v2 and phottix were using the same signal wavelength and had conflicts. i was forced to set my phottix trigger to 2 sec delay to trigger so that the v2s would still trigger the flash. it was very annoying as i really needed to have it go off instantly as i press on the phottix trigger. i tried it on the ctr-301p and it went off everytime. never had a misfire at all. remember that my test are very non scientifcal so it was just like 20 presses in a short span to see if all the shots came off. but ihave to say that it works everytime and now i have products that work like they suppose to. hope this helps with anyone trying to look into combining the phottix wireless shutter release with these.

sdsviet
477 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2009 14:12 |  #83

lukeap69 wrote in post #7805339 (external link)
I had spare time to mod the shoe for my CTR-301P. Seems okay for now :)

QUOTED IMAGE

where did u get that mini cold shoe mount with screw at. i need to pick some up since my light stand bracket has a cold shoe on it.

lukeap69
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 30, 2009 03:17 |  #84

sdsviet wrote in post #7826686 (external link)
where did u get that mini cold shoe mount with screw at. i need to pick some up since my light stand bracket has a cold shoe on it.

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=7635696&po​stcount=11

these are replacement shoe for old minolta flashes.

cheers

Arnold
Speedlite / Speedlight / Sunpak 120J Beauty Dish Rig (external link)
Gear
my Google+ Profile (external link)

xPoorboyx
166 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 01, 2009 07:35 |  #85

Anyone know of anywhere in the Us to purchase these triggers?

Target Acquired.

black419
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 01, 2009 09:47 as a reply to  @ xPoorboyx's post |  #86

Will these trigger the vivitar df400mz?

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 05, 2009 13:37 |  #87

just wondering, does the transmitter have a sync port?

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

Supa ­ Lao
275 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 05, 2009 14:24 |  #88

psxindo wrote in post #7863343 (external link)
just wondering, does the transmitter have a sync port?

Nope, it just attaches to the hotshoe and that's it.

Dex
D700 | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | SB-600

k4show
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 05, 2009 15:25 |  #89

Here is my youtube review I did of them. http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=DNFoM6xDlb8 (external link)

---Gear---
-----Zenfolio (external link)-----
-----Twitter------ (external link)

|ferrari|
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 10, 2009 09:14 as a reply to  @ k4show's post |  #90

Question that has not been answer yet:
How does the transmitter opens? (so you can change batteries)

I think that's a pretty important question as I've been using some of other models and the only that has screws is cactus. I just wanna make sure that you can open them frequently otherwise after the battery runs up, its trash :/

sponsored links

41,877 views & 0 likes for this thread
New CTR-301P flash triggers now available.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.