Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets 
Thread started 22 Dec 2006 (Friday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Your German Shepherds!

Jon ­ Foster
THREAD ­ STARTER
is it safe?
4,517 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 06, 2009 15:16 |  #331

k9ziggy wrote in post #7863168 (external link)
Here are some pics of my departed work partner and friend. We lost him on Labor Day to spinal deterioration and other back ailments.

Rex, I miss you every day. Thank you for your constant companionship and bravery.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I know how difficult it can be. Rex looks like a fantastic dog in those shots. The portrait of the two of you is great!

We have always had GSD's and all of our kids have grown up with GSD's. I was also raised with GSD's and could never really get used to not having them around. When our last male and female died we said no more dogs. But less than two years later we were back at it.

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

sponsored links
k9ziggy
67 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 06, 2009 16:26 as a reply to  @ Jon Foster's post |  #332

Thanks Jon. Rex was my first GSD. I've always had dogs. But, Rex was our third loss in three years (our two labs went before Rex, we lost a dog every year for three years almost to the day).

I said for a long time that I would never have another shep, as none would live up to Rex. Now, it's been about 9 months and I'm considering taking on another K9, or just getting a German bloodline shep.

Thanks again!

Jason

Help me help you. Don't be stupid.

Veteran police officer, former K9 handler, proud father of one. EOS 5Dmkiii, Buff strobes, Tamron glass and lots of gadgets

k9ziggy
67 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 06, 2009 16:32 as a reply to  @ k9ziggy's post |  #333

Like Jon said, there is no substitute for professional training.

I also used hand signal training with Rex, mostly German commands with a few English thrown in.

The intelligence and ability of the breed is astounding. Rex and I won PA Regional trials at the PA Chiefs of Police dog trials, 1st place in aggression and 1st place in obedience. We then followed up with PA state 2nd place in aggression work. Both rounds of aggression trials went to multiple rounds of "sudden death" with increasingly stressful situations. I can honestly say, that was the most fun I have ever had.

The rewards to having a trained dog are amazing, but it does entail a lot of work. I trained with Rex for 15-20 hours a week for years.

The most important thing is to HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Veteran police officer, former K9 handler, proud father of one. EOS 5Dmkiii, Buff strobes, Tamron glass and lots of gadgets

morpheus6d9
433 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 06, 2009 16:50 |  #334

hey k9ziggy what part of pa are you from i just moved and looking for a gsd do you know of any good training schools ?

50D | 60mm f/2.8 macro |Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Nifty-Fifty | SB-20 | 580 EXII

k9ziggy
67 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 06, 2009 22:57 as a reply to  @ morpheus6d9's post |  #335

Hi Morph. I am in the Lancaster area. A local trainer is Kay Ames, who is pretty good. I think her business is "Kay Ames Dog Training"?

Other than that everybody I know is pretty much PD/Schutzhund competition training. Our trainer passed away about 2 years ago of cancer, or I would have recommended him.

I am trying to get my dept. to send me to trainer svhool, but like any government entity it will take a while.

Good luck with your school search!

Red73
319 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 31, 2009 19:32 as a reply to  @ post 7870056 |  #336

Jeter at 5 months weighting in at just over 50 lbs. Rod

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …Red73_01/IMG_01​218x10.jpg (external link)

5D & 30D...EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM/EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM/EF,100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, 100mm Macro f/2.8 USM & 50mm 1.4.

hotrod100
305 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 31, 2009 20:51 |  #337

One of nine Shepherd/Boxer mixes my Boxer had six weeks ago.

http://i295.photobucke​t.com …mm129/adelanto1​00/303.jpg (external link)

Rod
50D gripped, 70-200 f/4L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM,, Nifty Fifty, 430 EX II, Quantaray QDC 900WA flash, DynaTran AT 3020 tripod, Tamrac Aero 80 bag, Canon ZR900 camcorder.

monokrome
Goldmember
1,185 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 31, 2009 22:34 |  #338

If you were on the east coast, I might have to get one of them. But I wish I had room for another canine.

S5IS

hotrod100
305 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 01, 2009 01:27 |  #339

nontetheredbrain wrote in post #8025778 (external link)
If you were on the east coast, I might have to get one of them. But I wish I had room for another canine.

If anyone on the west coast would like one just shoot me a PM. They will be ready to go in a week and they're FREE!

Rod
50D gripped, 70-200 f/4L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM,, Nifty Fifty, 430 EX II, Quantaray QDC 900WA flash, DynaTran AT 3020 tripod, Tamrac Aero 80 bag, Canon ZR900 camcorder.

Jon ­ Foster
THREAD ­ STARTER
is it safe?
4,517 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 01, 2009 20:06 |  #340

Red73 wrote in post #8024698 (external link)
Jeter at 5 months weighting in at just over 50 lbs. Rod

QUOTED IMAGE

Jeter is looking very handsome!

Jon.

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

Shoewrecky
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 10, 2009 13:24 as a reply to  @ Jon Foster's post |  #341

Nice pictures..everyone!
My wife and I just put a deposit on our future pup..Litter is supposed to be born around the end of June and I am getting excited.

Does anyone have any experience in Ohio with Professional Trainers and who would you recommend?

Thanks guys/gals :D

Every artist was first an amateur.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
My Gear: My Wife :p Rebel Xsi, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS Lens.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/38554313@N08/ (external link)

Jon ­ Foster
THREAD ­ STARTER
is it safe?
4,517 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 10, 2009 16:58 |  #342

Shoewrecky wrote in post #8084852 (external link)
Nice pictures..everyone!
My wife and I just put a deposit on our future pup..Litter is supposed to be born around the end of June and I am getting excited.

Does anyone have any experience in Ohio with Professional Trainers and who would you recommend?

Thanks guys/gals :D

Try posting your question at GSD forums. I'm sure you'll find somebody there with a good answer.

http://www.germansheph​erds.com/forum/ubbthre​ads.php (external link)

Jon.

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 11, 2009 11:19 as a reply to  @ Jon Foster's post |  #343

http://img.photobucket​.com …/opiate_eyes/IM​G_6809.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

My German Shepherd/Silver Fox, Tiger :)

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 11, 2009 12:38 |  #344

I posted some of these in their own thread (didn't know this one existed). This is Sarge our 1.5 year old pure bred GSD, we adopted from a rescue last summer. It's a long story but we became his fifth home and he was only 7 months old when we got him. He's now about 100 pounds, doing very well and is extremely smart.

This was shortly after we adopted him.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/2701331787_7425e6d67e_o.jpg

This is a current photo

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3362/3557563813_c4b51dd500_o.jpg

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,507 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

Jun 11, 2009 13:19 |  #345

Good looking dog. Why so many homes?

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

sponsored links

586,472 views & 547 likes for this thread
Post Your German Shepherds!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.