Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I switch to Pentax?

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 05, 2009 07:36 |  #61

KenjiS wrote in post #7860575 (external link)
and who knows how long Sony can maintain its presence in the DSLR market..

As long as they care to throw money at it--I know we're in a global economic recession and everything, but Sony is a diversified electronics giant, and a mature company--they have the resources to compete with Canon in the DSLR market, given some time.

Sony's 24-70 f/2.8 is regarded by many as being the pick of the litter of mid-range zooms, beating out both Canon's and Nikon's.

Disclaimer: As a Canon fanboi, and former Nikon fanboi, I have no hands-on experience with Sony cameras...

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

sponsored links
pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 05, 2009 11:02 |  #62

Markitos wrote in post #7861336 (external link)
As long as they care to throw money at it--I know we're in a global economic recession and everything, but Sony is a diversified electronics giant, and a mature company--they have the resources to compete with Canon in the DSLR market, given some time.

Yeah, but Sony is going to keep or dump DSLRs on that line's ability to make a profit for them. They are not going to keep supporting DSLR development if they don't catch on pretty quickly. There is a finite window of opportunity here.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 05, 2009 11:03 |  #63

pknight wrote in post #7862383 (external link)
Yeah, but Sony is going to keep or dump DSLRs on that line's ability to make a profit for them. They are not going to keep supporting DSLR development if they don't catch on pretty quickly. There is a finite window of opportunity here.

yeah, that's why I said as long as they care to throw money at it.

;)

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 05, 2009 11:08 |  #64

Markitos wrote in post #7862390 (external link)
yeah, that's why I said as long as they care to throw money at it.

;)

I heard ya. My point is that I don't think they will care to for as long as they are able to. :D

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Synovia
186 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 05, 2009 11:10 |  #65

pknight wrote in post #7862383 (external link)

You sure about that? They lost money on the PS3 for 3 years or so, and they lost a lot more than could be lost in the DLSR market. If they think they'll end up with long term profit, they aren't going anywhere.

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 05, 2009 11:47 |  #66

Synovia wrote in post #7862442 (external link)
You sure about that? They lost money on the PS3 for 3 years or so, and they lost a lot more than could be lost in the DLSR market. If they think they'll end up with long term profit, they aren't going anywhere.

I'm not sure of anything. ;)

However, there is a lot of inertia, in the form of current market share, customer loyalty, established lines of lenses and accessories, etc., favoring Nikon and Canon in the marketplace, as well as with retailers.

It isn't as though new applications (c.f., games for the PS3) are going to be developed that will make Sony cameras somehow more desirable, or in any way more necessary, than the competition. These are all cameras and they all perform the same basic function.

It is one thing for the Xbox user to drop a few hundred for a PS3 in order to play some games they can't run on the Microsoft machine. It is another matter for a DSLR user to abandon what is almost always an investment thousand of dollars for a new system that allows them to do essentially what they can already do

It is also one thing for a new gamer to decide that the PS3 is what they will buy because there are specific PS3 games that they want to play. It is another thing to expect a new DSLR user to ignore the advantages of the large and established Nikon and Canon systems in preference for a system that, at the end of the day, does at best the same thing as these other systems. Sure, some will go for the Sony or Pentax, but most will (and have) not (IMO).

I would be surprised if Sony dropped from the P&S scene. I would be equally surprised if Sony (or Pentax, to get back to the orignial topic of this thread) became a major player in the DSLR market. Certainly scenarios could be presented that would lead one to conclude that Sony or Pentax or whomever has a great chance to succeed in the DSLR market. However, it is all speculation, and only time will tell.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 05, 2009 15:40 as a reply to  @ pknight's post |  #67

On the game system analogy I'd stress that a gamer chooses his console based upon the games available and promised..Much like we choose cameras based on lenses

In the long run, You'll have more invested in your games than anything else..and they've got to be -good-

The dollar figures might not be as high, but for a lot of people, and gamers, its still a lot of money...[Its just a different ratio]

IE I've had 40 games for my 360, Average that at about $30 a game [And consider I paid the full $60 for most of them] and thats $1200, or more than 3 times what I paid for my 360 [Comparatively, I paid $1400 for my 30D 3 years ago, and $2200 invested in -current- lenses not counting the money lost on the lenses i've bought and sold]

The PS3s games have large and on whole been very "meh" the PS3 itself is very expensive compared to the competition, and the games are not falling in price [Even used] as quickly as the 360 because of the volume sold

Also the PS2 is still selling rediculously strong in this recession, considering you can get a used one for $50 or less and theres thousands of games for less than $10 that dont suck...

And the PS3 lacks backwards compatability, When people came to the Gamestop I worked at asking about the PS3 I always asked "Well..Why the PS3?" their first answer was "To play PS2 games" and the moment I told them they couldn't, They went and bought a 360 instead...

The best test I had was "Pick 3 games from the PS3 wall that look good...." Usually none were exclusives, and were available on the 360 at a lower price....People loved me for telling them this because Wal-Mart and Best Buy NEVER ask these questions [The reason I do is simple, I dont like dissatisfied customers...and most people doing this bought more accessories or used games with their money which was better for the company, We make **** on the console, We make money on accessories and used games...]

I sold probubly 20 360s working there and 2 PS3s....

Now a confession, I have both, the PS3 has a lot of good things about it, including a much better menu system...but the 360 is just so much better in many other ways...Especially online play...[Theres a reason you pay for it on a 360, The reason is, its good]

A second confession, I would love a a700 with a 16-85 Zeiss and the 135mm Zeiss...

Or the a900 with the 16-35, 24-70 and 135mm

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

chubs22
49 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2009 09:47 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #68

Now that I have a 40D and a K20D (and a K10D I'm trying to sell), I can give a first hand experience with both cameras. Since the K20D was aimed at the 50D, I'll compare the K10D to the 40D.

AF Speed: The 40D wins hands down. When comparing USM to SDM, USM wins.

AF Accuracy: Although I have not had any issues with both, Pentax seems to have some QA issues with some of their gear. I would say if you get a good copy of Pentax gear. This is a draw

Sharpness: When shooting in JPG the 40D will beat the K10D easily, but when shooting in RAW (which most of us do) I would give a slightest edge to Pentax.

Hi ISO Performance: This one goes to the 40D. The CCD sensor on the K10D does not handle low light/ Hi ISO as well as the CMOS sensor on the 40D... which is why I upgraded to the K20D (which uses a CMOS sensor).

IS vs SR: Honestly, I say this one goes to Pentax. I've had a better experience with Pentax's in body SR compared to Canon's in lens IS. Comparing my shots at 50mm, I can drop down to 1/4 shutter speed on the K10D, but on an IS lens I'm only steady to about 1/8 shutter speed.

Lens Selection: I'd say this one is a draw too. There are a lot of lenses for both brands. Pentax has their current DA and DA* line, but there are some older FA lenses that still work with their current DSLRs.

Lens Price: This one is Pentax hands down. When comparing the best that Pentax has to offer to the best that Canon has to offer we are talking about a $400-$800 price difference.

Lens Quality: This one is a draw too. Canon has some amazing L lenses, but Pentax also has some great quality limited lenses.

Lens Availability: Unfortunately, I planned on renting lenses locally and Pentax lenses are just not available (one of the reasons why I now have a 40D). Since Canon and Nikon are the big players in the DSLR world it is much easier to rent their lenses locally.

Hope that helps anyone that is on the fence about switching over. This is all my personal experience, so take it all with a grain of salt. If anyone has any question, I'd be happy to try to help.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 07, 2009 10:56 |  #69

chubs22 wrote in post #7875336 (external link)
Now that I have a 40D and a K20D (and a K10D I'm trying to sell), I can give a first hand experience with both cameras. Since the K20D was aimed at the 50D, I'll compare the K10D to the 40D.

AF Speed: The 40D wins hands down. When comparing USM to SDM, USM wins.

AF Accuracy: Although I have not had any issues with both, Pentax seems to have some QA issues with some of their gear. I would say if you get a good copy of Pentax gear. This is a draw

Sharpness: When shooting in JPG the 40D will beat the K10D easily, but when shooting in RAW (which most of us do) I would give a slightest edge to Pentax.

Hi ISO Performance: This one goes to the 40D. The CCD sensor on the K10D does not handle low light/ Hi ISO as well as the CMOS sensor on the 40D... which is why I upgraded to the K20D (which uses a CMOS sensor).

IS vs SR: Honestly, I say this one goes to Pentax. I've had a better experience with Pentax's in body SR compared to Canon's in lens IS. Comparing my shots at 50mm, I can drop down to 1/4 shutter speed on the K10D, but on an IS lens I'm only steady to about 1/8 shutter speed.

Lens Selection: I'd say this one is a draw too. There are a lot of lenses for both brands. Pentax has their current DA and DA* line, but there are some older FA lenses that still work with their current DSLRs.

Lens Price: This one is Pentax hands down. When comparing the best that Pentax has to offer to the best that Canon has to offer we are talking about a $400-$800 price difference.

Lens Quality: This one is a draw too. Canon has some amazing L lenses, but Pentax also has some great quality limited lenses.

Lens Availability: Unfortunately, I planned on renting lenses locally and Pentax lenses are just not available (one of the reasons why I now have a 40D). Since Canon and Nikon are the big players in the DSLR world it is much easier to rent their lenses locally.

Hope that helps anyone that is on the fence about switching over. This is all my personal experience, so take it all with a grain of salt. If anyone has any question, I'd be happy to try to help.

Ever try IS vs SR with a longer lens?

My theory is in-body IS/SR works better with shorter focal lengths and in-lens IS/SR is better with longer FLs

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

May 09, 2009 12:12 |  #70

KenjiS wrote in post #7875755 (external link)
Ever try IS vs SR with a longer lens?

My theory is in-body IS/SR works better with shorter focal lengths and in-lens IS/SR is better with longer FLs

A lot of people don't need longer lenses at all.
A lot of people can't afford a longer IS lens anyways. If you can't buy 70-200 IS, then pentax IS works better.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 09, 2009 12:35 |  #71

wow, the debate continues, huh?

Let's just agree all brands offer good solutions for different people and call it a day! :)

I am sure if you gave me a good mid-range body and lens setup from any brand, I could be happy and take great photos.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 09, 2009 13:01 |  #72

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #7888549 (external link)
A lot of people don't need longer lenses at all.
A lot of people can't afford a longer IS lens anyways. If you can't buy 70-200 IS, then pentax IS works better.

Whats that have to do with what i asked :/

I know that, I'm not saying its bad, I'm merely asking for his observations relating to the effectiveness of in-lens vs in-body IS at certain focal lengths

I'm not saying one is concretely superior to the other..nor am i saying the Pentax SR is bad...

Geesh, I almost went to Sony for the in-body IS for the cost reason

Lore
Damn I failed the goat
2,966 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 09, 2009 13:11 |  #73

tkbslc wrote in post #7888655 (external link)
wow, the debate continues, huh?

Let's just agree all brands offer good solutions for different people and call it a day! :)

I am sure if you gave me a good mid-range body and lens setup from any brand, I could be happy and take great photos.

+1 to this... Give a good photographer any camera & they will give you excellent photos... its all about what works for you.

Personally I've been not upgrading & waiting to upgrade when the '60D' comes out... my 'interest' has been peeked by the Pentax Forums 'rumor thread' on their upcoming release of their K-7 which apparently should be announced in Late May.

When the 60D comes out I'll weigh my options... & decide then... Pentax does seem to lag behind and tends to 'play catch up' with their new bodies, but back in the 35mm days I had my ae-1 and a pentax 35mm, & I loved em' both.

Lore
flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Blography (external link)
"Every photograph tells a story, What's your story?"

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

May 09, 2009 15:49 |  #74

tkbslc wrote in post #7888655 (external link)

No. We're trying to find out what's best for the OP. Basically all you're saying to him: "One of the brands is good for you" and that's not helpful IMHO

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 09, 2009 21:48 |  #75

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #7889427 (external link)
No. We're trying to find out what's best for the OP. Basically all you're saying to him: "One of the brands is good for you" and that's not helpful IMHO

I AM THE OP!! :lol:

and I already said I tried out the K20 and did not like the handling/feel, so that is that!

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links

14,682 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I switch to Pentax?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.