Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2009 (Saturday) 18:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! Lens question for my 5D

sbang
43 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 09, 2009 18:12 |  #1

Can someone tell me if my sigma 30mm F1.4 lens will fit on the used 5D that I just bought?

SB

sponsored links
Jim_T
Goldmember
3,306 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 09, 2009 18:14 |  #2

It will if it has the EOS mount.

sbang
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 09, 2009 18:15 |  #3

thank you that was such a fast reply. but how come I get a vignette? Its not damaging the camera right?

SB

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,306 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 09, 2009 18:30 |  #4

I've never used the lens. How bad is the vignetting? With some wide angle lenses, it's not unusual to have a bit of darkening on the corners of the image

This trait is usually hidden with crop cameras because they don't record the outermost corners of the lens.

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 09, 2009 18:32 |  #5

sbang wrote in post #7890034 (external link)
Can someone tell me if my sigma 30mm F1.4 lens will fit on the used 5D that I just bought?

No, according to Sigma (external link). It's designed for APS-C bodies.

If you want a lens in that range, try the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8; it's comparable.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

sbang
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 09, 2009 18:35 |  #6

yeah I had bought it when I got the Rebel so I didn't have this problem before. It's pretty dark around the corners. I don't know if it's something I want on all my pictures. Hmmm, maybe I should consider selling it. Do you think it's b/c my 5D is defective? after all, I did buy it used. Doesn't make sense to me that I wouldn't be able to use a 30mm lens on a 5D, but then again, I don't know a whole lot about cameras.

SB

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 09, 2009 18:41 |  #7

sbang wrote in post #7890113 (external link)
yeah I had bought it when I got the Rebel so I didn't have this problem before. It's pretty dark around the corners. I don't know if it's something I want on all my pictures. Hmmm, maybe I should consider selling it. Do you think it's b/c my 5D is defective? after all, I did buy it used. Doesn't make sense to me that I wouldn't be able to use a 30mm lens on a 5D, but then again, I don't know a whole lot about cameras.

Vignetting (external link) (dark corners) is common for full-frame bodies. Since you "don't know a whole lot about cameras", you might want to spend an hour or two or ten reading through the good info posted here.

Regarding your Sigma, you bought it for use with the Rebel. It will not work on the 5D; you'll need a FF-compatible lens if you want something in that range, such as the Canon 28mm or 35mm.

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,306 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 09, 2009 18:46 |  #8

Ah.. I see now.. Sigma states that the lens will vignette when used with a full frame camera.. See the bottom right corner of this link:

http://www.sigmaphoto.​com …l_details.asp?n​avigator=6 (external link)

I guess the mount is standard EF and not EF-S, -but- the image that the lens casts on the sensor is crop sized.. So, the lens will fit on the camera.. But it will vignette. I suppose if you don't mind cropping out the good portion of the image, you can use the lens. Not much point though :)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 09, 2009 18:51 |  #9

Jim_T wrote in post #7890156 (external link)
Ah.. I see now.. Sigma states that the lens will vignette when used with a full frame camera.. See the bottom right corner of this link:

I guess the mount is standard EF and not EF-S, -but- the image that the lens casts on the sensor is crop sized.. So, the lens will fit on the camera.. But it will vignette. I suppose if you don't mind cropping out the good portion of the image, you can use the lens. Not much point though :)

To the best of my knowledge, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina do not manufacture "EF-S" mount lenses. However, they do manufacture lenses whose image circle is designed for APS-C sensors. These lenses will fit on all of Canon's EF mount bodies, but will exhibit a certain degree of vignetting on other than APS-C sensor bodies.

My Gear

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 09, 2009 18:55 |  #10

Jim_T wrote in post #7890156 (external link)

I owned the Sigma 30mm and used it on a 30D. Pretty good lens but it's meant for APS-C bodies. Not sure I'd want to use it on FF. Hell, the Canon 28mm will vignette on a 5D. ;)

sbang
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 09, 2009 18:55 |  #11

Thanks! this was very helpful!! Looks like I'll be selling my Sigma lens. Luckily, I just purchased the canon 50mm so I'll use that for now until I'm ready for a more wide angle feel.

SB

sponsored links

856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Lens question for my 5D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.