Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 May 2009 (Saturday) 13:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has B&H been exposed?

this thread is locked
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 09, 2009 16:35 |  #31

ed rader wrote in post #7889591 (external link)
unlike adorama BH has done this in the past and eventually claimed computer error and reversed prices.

But Adorama has raised their prices as well, and they did it early on due to "short supply". Given stock statuses, it seems everyone has short supply these days. But B&H are the bad guys here?

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=7824134&pos​tcount=167

ed rader wrote in post #7889591 (external link)
every time i hear someone defend all the holidays these guys take off because of religious conviction i just bite my tongue and laugh my ass off :D.

Why? Is it funny?

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 09, 2009 16:37 |  #32

Seems Canon isn't the only one raising prices:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=690932

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,085 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 09, 2009 16:44 |  #33

timnosenzo wrote in post #7889671 (external link)
But Adorama has raised their prices as well, and they did it early on due to "short supply". Given stock statuses, it seems everyone has short supply these days. But B&H are the bad guys here?

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=7824134&pos​tcount=167

Why? Is it funny?

i'll say it again, BH raised their prices right before the first canon instant rebates too. they were roasted, told about two or three different stories and eventually blamed it the computers and reversed their prices. that was when the economy was doing fine.

now, here we go again.

like i said already BH are well within their right to raise prices whenever they want but i'll add they can only pocket your rebate if you allow them to.

piety and greed, get it :D?

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 09, 2009 16:46 |  #34

I think we all need to recognize that B&H and Adorama and everyone else mentioned in these "Market Watch" threads are businesses. Customer service is just one method to increase cash flow to the business (ie attracting customers). Raising prices is another method. No company is in business FOR the customer. They are in business for their own interest, whether we recognize that or not. Otherwise we would be calling them a "non-profit organization."

B&H et al. must weigh the cost of keeping prices low for customers versus the benefit of higher revenues from raising prices. Every company evaluates this decision in a different manner and in this case it seems that many retailers have come to a similar decision (ie. to raise prices). I do not like this decision, nor do I fault them for it; however, I definitely have less respect for them after having favored increased revenue at my personal cost.

They also do not seem to mind that they are operating in a clearly sketchy manner out in the open, disregarding our perception of their business practices. Personally, this is what offends me most. I think many of us have (had) the notion of B&H as the "neighborhood superstore," the good guy out there to help us get our toys for the least cost. These price increases are clearly contrary to our concept of their company as "different." What we're all realizing now is that they are a company that operates like any other corporation with a business model designed around operating a successful, profitable business, not satisfying the customer as the primary objective.

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

kosin
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 09, 2009 16:57 |  #35

I agree but BH will make money anyway, and I don't think that they need to go that low with raising the money right before or right after rebate was announced...

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,085 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 09, 2009 17:11 |  #36

kosin wrote in post #7889768 (external link)
I agree but BH will make money anyway, and I don't think that they need to go that low with raising the money right before or right after rebate was announced...

the timing is obviously suspect...especially when you have a prior :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 09, 2009 18:47 |  #37

Because of what has been said in the previous replies, I don't wait for the routine rebate brouhaha to occur anymore, I check around for prices and then make my purchase. This attitude is based on what has happened in prior rebate offers where I make a lens purchase less rebate and the new price is equal to or greater than before the rebate offer because of the upward price adjustment. What a scam.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

CMcKee
38 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 09, 2009 19:40 |  #38

They could of at least waited a whole whopping week before uping prices.

Prices are going up at a way faster rate then people's paychecks, way faster. And yes the yen vs the us dollar changes, but the prices will never lower. Kind of like taxes.

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 09, 2009 20:52 as a reply to  @ CMcKee's post |  #39

I have purchased my last item from B&H.

The only way I will buy from them again is if they are the least expensive, like they used to be, and not screwing us during rebate time.

What a shame. I have been a regular customer of theirs for several years.

I'm beginning to think that "Rebates" are NOT something to look forward to anymore.

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

dtsang
253 posts
Joined Mar 2003

May 09, 2009 21:54 |  #40

I'm really kind of taken back a bit by some of these attitudes. Not that I'm condoning what alot of these retailers are doing (I'm actually just as disappointed as everyone else is). But at the end of the day these stores are still offering the same customer service that some of us value. If it all came down to price, why not just purchase from some of the less than honorable establishments out there? If you're not happy w/ their price, you can easily spend your money elsewhere. They know that we're not happy w/ these practices and will probably see (slightly)lower sales because of them.

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 09, 2009 22:03 |  #41

dtsang wrote in post #7890871 (external link)
I'm really kind of taken back a bit by some of these attitudes. Not that I'm condoning what alot of these retailers are doing (I'm actually just as disappointed as everyone else is). But at the end of the day these stores are still offering the same customer service that some of us value. If it all came down to price, why not just purchase from some of the less than honorable establishments out there? If you're not happy w/ their price, you can easily spend your money elsewhere. They know that we're not happy w/ these practices and will probably see (slightly)lower sales because of them.

That's my problem with them. I consider "these practices" very poor customer service.

I don't thank them for good customer service while they stick it to us on price.

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 09, 2009 22:05 |  #42

Just Be wrote in post #7890901 (external link)
That's my problem with them. I consider "these practices" very poor customer service.

I don't thank them for good customer service while they stick it to us on price.

Every one has raised their prices, why are people attacking B&H like this?

Also I have had nothing but great experiences with their customer service and it is the one thing that keeps me going back to them.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

dtsang
253 posts
Joined Mar 2003

May 09, 2009 22:13 |  #43

This is not "customer service", this is their procurement and management responding to supply and demand. You really have to have seen their store and dealt w/ their staff to truly understand that it is truly a professional operation. I don't even consider Adorama to be in the same league. I've also been to Adorama's retail location, and while I consider their internet staff to be great, their retail operation leaves something to be desired. At the end of the day the customer loses out on the opportunity to purchase from them, but if you'd be willing to shop around you'd probably be able to find it at the 1499 price. I did the same and picked it up from J&R, a comparable store to B&H and Adorama.

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 09, 2009 22:33 |  #44

So, if you were a business owner and had a supplier increase costs to you, you're telling us you would NOT pass along those costs to your customers? You'd be a foolish business owner if you didn't.

Does anyone here (or elsewhere) possess conclusive proof retailers raised their prices just to "stick it" to buyers? Has it occurred to some that maybe, just maybe, Canon and retailers artificially kept their prices low during good economic times and made up for the difference in volume?

Seriously, some here need to drop the attitude and conspiracy theories. No one knows, with ANY certainty, why MOST retailers raised their prices, on both rebate and non-rebate items.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 09, 2009 22:44 as a reply to  @ Karl C's post |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

Actually, BH is in the wrong and so as other camera retailers. You just don't raise the price the day before the rebate kicks in, period. They should have raised the price earlier. Supply and demand? Market force? Well, that's should have been enforced long before the approaching rebate date. The market force didn't just enforced itself the day before the rebate. Why the hell they waited until the day before the rebate to raise the price is beyond me.....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

6,293 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has B&H been exposed?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.