Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 May 2009 (Saturday) 13:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has B&H been exposed?

this thread is locked
dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2009 19:18 |  #61

number six wrote in post #7894745 (external link)
:rolleyes:

Don't let them do it! Buy somewhere else! Or don't buy at all until they lower their prices.

:rolleyes: ROFL
Besides the super-mega chain (I won't mention their name), which has notoriously high prices, how many places haven't done this?

I like your second joke, "don't buy at all until they lower their prices". That's funny! I'm sure that's what Canon had in mind. And, when you say lower their prices, you mean to the same price they were raised to take the rebate, right? Too funny!

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

sponsored links
henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 10, 2009 20:53 |  #62

It's a shame a vocal few have fanned the flames of conspiracy. Here're the facts:
Canon ran a rebate program some time ago and we had a HUMAN error -- someone added when he should have subtracted. This happened on a Thursday night. We caught the problem on Friday morning and set up the fix immediately. Unfortunately we close early every Friday and are closed all day every Saturday. We proactively checked every order and made sure any customer who needed one received a refund. That was a HUMAN error and we said so at the time.

On another occasion, Canon USA raised their prices at about the same time a rebate program went into effect. Bad timing, but Canon USA's timing. The icing on the cake was they'd held deliveries until the price hike went into effect and didn't provide price protection so retailers had to pay the higher price for any backorders.

The situation now is unfortunate, but unavoidable. Prices are subject to a variety of market conditions and several retailers, including but not limited to B&H, were obliged to raise prices. Prices were raised on as many lenses out of the rebate program as in the program. This demonstrates this is not a B&H conspiracy and this is not an attempt for retailers to pocket the rebate at the customers' expense.

I appreciate the frustration this caused and appreciate that appearances can be misleading. I regret a few here have elected to presume the worst, to add their own suspicions, reported as "facts" to the thread and regret that one or two here who've previously demonstrated outright hostility towards B&H are attempting to foster misunderstanding. This is a fine forum comprised mostly of fine people. It'd be a shame if the malignant venality of a very few lead it down another path.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2009 20:58 |  #63

henryp wrote in post #7895885 (external link)
I regret a few here have elected to presume the worst, to add their own suspicions, reported as "facts" to the thread and regret that one or two here who've previously demonstrated outright hostility towards B&H are attempting to foster misunderstanding. This is a fine forum comprised mostly of fine people. It'd be a shame if the malignant venality of a very few lead it down another path.

I think the best way to add your own thoughts is to be a regular here answering questions like Adorama.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 10, 2009 21:23 |  #64

It's a shame a vocal few have fanned the flames of conspiracy. Here're the facts:
Canon ran a rebate program some time ago and we had a HUMAN error -- someone added when he should have subtracted. This happened on a Thursday night. We caught the problem on Friday morning and set up the fix immediately. Unfortunately we close early every Friday and are closed all day every Saturday. We proactively checked every order and made sure any customer who needed one received a refund. That was a HUMAN error and we said so at the time.

On another occasion, Canon USA raised their prices at about the same time a rebate program went into effect. Bad timing, but Canon USA's timing. The icing on the cake was they'd held deliveries until the price hike went into effect and didn't provide price protection so retailers had to pay the higher price for any backorders.

The situation now is unfortunate, but unavoidable. Prices are subject to a variety of market conditions and several retailers, including but not limited to B&H, were obliged to raise prices. Prices were raised on as many lenses out of the rebate program as in the program. This demonstrates this is not a B&H conspiracy and this is not an attempt for retailers to pocket the rebate at the customers' expense.

I appreciate the frustration this caused and appreciate that appearances can be misleading. I regret a few here have elected to presume the worst, to add their own suspicions, reported as "facts" to the thread and regret that one or two here who've previously demonstrated outright hostility towards B&H are attempting to foster misunderstanding. This is a fine forum comprised mostly of fine people. It'd be a shame if the malignant venality of a very few lead it down another path.

So you are actually from B&H?

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 10, 2009 21:46 |  #65

<Snip>

Thank You for taking the time Henry...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 10, 2009 22:12 |  #66

So What your saying is that Canon has raised prices shortly after the beginning of the spring rebates last year and this year?

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 10, 2009 22:33 |  #67

Matthew Patrick wrote in post #7896356 (external link)
So What your saying is that Canon has raised prices shortly after the beginning of the spring rebates last year and this year?

A company raising their prices every year , This has to be a gimmick :rolleyes:

I am very dishearted by the price increases as well. Let us not toss blame around and scorn anyone. I know that this is a disappointment just as it was in January when I got my 24-70 and watched it jump up but things are what they are. I wish the economy would stable so that we can see a decrease in price but for now I do not see it happening.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 10, 2009 22:44 |  #68

Don't oversimplify, It's not just a company raising prices every year. It's a company raising prices under the guise of a rebate every year. That sounds like a gimmick to me.

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 10, 2009 22:44 |  #69

number six wrote in post #7894745 (external link)
:rolleyes:

Don't let them do it! Buy somewhere else! Or don't buy at all until they lower their prices.

Exactly.

But don't hesitate to send an email to express your displeasure. I offer the following quote from Frederick Douglass:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them."

That may be just a little out of context relative to its original meaning, but you get the drift.

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 11, 2009 00:32 |  #70

dan j wrote in post #7895913 (external link)
I think the best way to add your own thoughts is to be a regular here answering questions like Adorama.

dan

Agreed!

Hey Henry, thanks for speaking up, but don't be a stranger.

We would really appreciate the info beforehand so there is no misunderstanding.

Had you posted what was about to happen and why before all heck broke loose around here, many would have felt better about the situation or at least had more information from a reliable source such as your self.

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

May 11, 2009 02:52 |  #71
bannedPermanent ban

I think it's fairly clear that mere facts aren't going to sway the conspiracy theorists.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 11, 2009 06:05 |  #72

midnight_rider wrote in post #7896059 (external link)
So you are actually from B&H?

You serious?

Yes, he's the man from B&H. Owns the place.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 11, 2009 06:23 |  #73

Karl C wrote in post #7897990 (external link)
You serious?

Yes, he's the man from B&H. Owns the place.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 11, 2009 06:35 |  #74

SteveNC wrote in post #7889718 (external link)
They also do not seem to mind that they are operating in a clearly sketchy manner out in the open, disregarding our perception of their business practices. Personally, this is what offends me most.

Well since the owner/COO/Managing Director of B&H just responded in this thread, I stand corrected.

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 11, 2009 07:03 |  #75

Mr. Posner is not the owner, but he does speak for B+H. I think he is like a managing director or operations manager.

sponsored links

6,286 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has B&H been exposed?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.