Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Apr 2009 (Friday) 01:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

will the 20mm suffice in lieu of the 24-70

ngrohosky
327 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 10, 2009 01:00 |  #1

for starting off? im shooting on a 5d and currently only have a 50mm 1.8. i'm looking for a wider lens, and am planning to get a 70-200 (either f/4 or 2.8, havent decided yet) in the long run. i am starting to do portraits, high school senior pictures, and aspire to be an engagement and wedding photographer. does anyone think the 20mm is a good buy? does anyone happen to have any samples on a FF camera? thanks in advance!

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 10, 2009 19:16 |  #2

I've never even heard of it. If you want to be a professional you'll need to invest in equipment. Wedding FAQ.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,561 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 10, 2009 19:52 |  #3

you must mean the sigma 20mm f/1.8.

Personally, I would rather take a 16-35/17-40 to go with your 24-70 instead of the 20mm. The 20mm is wide, but not quite 'ultra' wide. It's not that popular of a lens.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

ngrohosky
THREAD ­ STARTER
327 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 10, 2009 21:40 |  #4

picturecrazy wrote in post #7706877 (external link)
you must mean the sigma 20mm f/1.8.

Personally, I would rather take a 16-35/17-40 to go with your 24-70 instead of the 20mm. The 20mm is wide, but not quite 'ultra' wide. It's not that popular of a lens.

even on a 5d??

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,561 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 10, 2009 22:01 |  #5

ngrohosky wrote in post #7707408 (external link)
even on a 5d??

even on a 5D. 20mm isn't a giant step wider than 24mm.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 11, 2009 09:09 |  #6

I can't imagine that being a good choice, and those Sigma lenses 20, 24 and 28mm are noted for focus issues too. If you want wider the other options suggested are ideal for the 5D for weddings - 16-35 being better for the extra stop of light.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

ngrohosky
THREAD ­ STARTER
327 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 11, 2009 12:49 |  #7

i mean the canon 20mm.

Al ­ Rohrer
85 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2003

May 11, 2009 11:15 as a reply to  @ ngrohosky's post |  #8

I have the Canon 20mm f/2.8. I've seen a lot of people who downgrade this lens, but there have been a few who like it as I do. I don't do a lot of wide-angle but have used it for interior shots as well as landscapes and it is a keeper, and a lot cheaper than the zooms everyone is recommending.
If you can afford it, the 17-40 is probably your all-around best buy, but if money is a problem, check out the underrated 20mm f/2.8.
Now, if money is NO problem and weight isn't an issue, the 16-35 II is your best bet.
My 2 cents,
Al Rohrer

Canon Shooter and PSCS5 on a PC.

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,764 posts
Joined May 2007

May 11, 2009 19:32 |  #9

For group protrait on FF body, 20mm is too wide. Even 24mm is a little too wide. You will need to avoid framing people toward the edge to avoid perspetive distortion. It is almost like using a longer lens. Otherwise, if body parts are distorted, it is not pleasing looking. Persoanlly, I will try to stay above 28mm for group protrait.

Another thing is aperture, you will not be using F1.8 or even F2.8 group shots. You will probably need to be at F5.6 or F8 and above. So having a fast 20mm won't help on group protrait.

After all, I think you will be better off with 24-70L for group protrait.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

sponsored links

1,470 views & 0 likes for this thread
will the 20mm suffice in lieu of the 24-70
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.